MO MO - Jo Ellen Weigel, 18, pregnant, Lee’s Summit, 2 July 1970

He might have joined the military. In 1970 we were still in the middle of Vietnam and they took people pretty fast. A lot of guys got away from the law by joining the military. That's not as easy today since we have computers to check everything. They didn't have them then. Just a thought.

The known facts tend to indicate otherwise.

The first year Michael Cline was on the run his parents made frequent trips to Acapulco, Mexico and to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. LE had the border patrols watching for Cline as the FBI believed that he was in Mexico, at least for a while. During the second year his parents abruptly cancelled another planned trip to St. Thomas, never to return. The FBI believed that Cline was back in the US by the fall of 1971 – spring of 1972 attending college under an alias.

At Christmas time 1971 Michael Cline phoned a friend in Lee’s Summit and said he was attending school and was well. When asked by LE where Cline was living or attending school, the friend said that Cline didn’t say and he didn’t ask. It has always been my contention that this friend knows more than he has ever told. And after all of these years it is unlikely that he will ever say anything more.

It is important to remember that Michael Cline had never been issued a social security card. In those days you weren’t issued a card shortly after birth; only when you went to work at your first part-time job, usually as a teenager. Since his family was said to be affluent for the times Michael had never had a job.

It is also important to remember that Cline had never been fingerprinted for any reason. He had never registered with the draft board. He had no prior criminal history. And he had a new passport with over 4 yrs remaining on it. Even if Cline, using an alias should be arrested even today for some offense in the US it is not likely that he would be identified.

The FBI was aware of one angle working against Cline. If he was attending college he would have had to apply and be accepted using only a GED or other high school equivalency test. He could not have used his high school transcripts and diploma to apply for admission.

The Cline family quickly closed ranks and refused to discuss their son or his whereabouts. A Federal Grand Jury was convened in 1972 and 8 family members were subpoenaed to appear: his parents; 2 sisters; brother; 1 grandmother; aunt; favorite cousin. All 8 testified that Michael Cline was dead but refused to furnish a death certificate or any further details.

When his father Donald Cline died in 1988 the obituary failed to mention a son named Michael as either a survivor or as preceding Donald in death. It’s as if Michael had never existed.

Do you have any stats on Michael Cline? His Height, hair color, color eyes, etc?

Do you have any stats on Michael Cline? His Height, hair color, color eyes, etc?

From when Cline was on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted List:

Height: 5’9; Weight: 130#

Hair color: brown; Eye color: hazel

If Michael Cline was receiving financial aid from his family in the early years, possibly thru his attorney Alex Peebles, it is likely that he had cosmetic surgery long ago to alter his appearance.

For all intents and purposes, with the help of his family and his attorney he has gotten away with murder.

Thanks. You are probably right. I'm sure there were countries he could have fled to that didn't require a passport too. Also his family could have gotten anything he needed to leave the country. Money buys a lot of things.

Just thought I would post a few comments to keep this thread going. I would like to keep it as up to date as possible. Myself like Hurricane have a lot of information about this particular case. We are looking for someone who knows something to come forward. Even if it is something they believe is a small detail it may be the final piece. This case has been sent to AMW a few times with no response.

Bilyeutj,

It's nice to see someone who knew both of them. I'm sure you have reasons to believe he did not have anything to do with the murder. Since you knew both of them did you ever hear any rumors of where he went after the warrant was issued? Additionally, were you a close friend or were you just an acquaintance? Did you run in the same circle as his good friend he called after he left the area? Why do you think he left the area when the warrant came out? I am always interested to get a different view about a possible suspect and why they shouldn't be one. I know the family was not cooperative with LE. Did you know the family? It would be great to get both sides of this story sense they were so young.

Just thought I would post a few comments to keep this thread going. I would like to keep it as up to date as possible. Myself like Hurricane have a lot of information about this particular case. We are looking for someone who knows something to come forward. Even if it is something they believe is a small detail it may be the final piece. This case has been sent to AMW a few times with no response.

Thanks for bringing this case back alive. One thing that I simply don't get is the lack of interest from former classmates and alumni. Michael Cline was their classmate and may have been well liked, but Jo Ellen was a classmate too! More of her friends and classmates need to stand up for her.

Bilyeutj,

It's nice to see someone who knew both of them. I'm sure you have reasons to believe he did not have anything to do with the murder. Since you knew both of them did you ever hear any rumors of where he went after the warrant was issued? Additionally, were you a close friend or were you just an acquaintance? Did you run in the same circle as his good friend he called after he left the area? Why do you think he left the area when the warrant came out? I am always interested to get a different view about a possible suspect and why they shouldn't be one. I know the family was not cooperative with LE. Did you know the family? It would be great to get both sides of this story sense they were so young.

Not to derail your questions to Bilyeutj, but I have always believed that Michael Cline would not have ran from justice if it had not been for his family and the fact that they hired Alex Peebles as their attorney. It is obvious to me that when Donald Cline learned that the piece of ski rope found around Jo Ellen's body was identical to ski rope his family owned he knew Michael was involved. The die was cast when the GJ handed down a true bill and Peebles called the family to tell them that LE was on their way to arrest Michael. I believe he was probably hidden somewhere locally the rest of that day giving them time to make plans and his escape was made later that night.

An interesting case. MC is probably alive and well and living under a new identity. In those days it was very easy to establish a new identity. Basically you got the birth certificate of someone who died as a child and take it from there. People did this to avoid criminal charges, dodge child support and even get "new" driver’s licenses to replace one that was suspended. By the mid 1970's, the Social Security Adm. implemented a number of changes that made this ploy practically impossible.

Bilyeutj,

It's nice to see someone who knew both of them. I'm sure you have reasons to believe he did not have anything to do with the murder. SNIP.

Respectfully snipped by me...
I read his comment to mean bilyeutj thinks Cline IS involved w/ help from another.

God help someone find this guy. Please.

In reply to your last post Hurricane, Michael was not hiding out on that last Sunday before he went back to (Israel I think ?) on Monday, he was watching our command post with binoculars from a window in his home and even came down to the dock one time and talked to the divers searching the area. When the indightment was issued Monday morning he was already on a plane.

In reply to your last post Hurricane, Michael was not hiding out on that last Sunday before he went back to (Israel I think ?) on Monday, he was watching our command post with binoculars from a window in his home and even came down to the dock one time and talked to the divers searching the area. When the indightment was issued Monday morning he was already on a plane.

Jasper, thanks for coming back to the case. It's been a long time to rely on memories only so I'm going to post a timeline I put together and often refer to. But first a few comments to keep in mind as you read it. And a comment or two on what I think it tells us.

Israel was on the original trip agenda but Michael Cline never made it there. And I'm not sure when his fellow students on the trip returned to the US but Cline never rejoined them. He obviously disappeared sometime on Thurs 07/23 or Fri 07/24, or was being hidden somewhere locally until plans could be made for his escape. If he traveled by air a plane ticket in those days could still be purchased at the airport with cash. A family member could have driven him to an airport in another city; all the family cars were accounted for. I don't see him taking a bus like a common criminal might.

Note that the original Cass County Prosecuting Attorney Gumm said on 07/13/70 that the evidence in the case was only circumstantial, but new Prosecuting Attorney Whitcraft said on 07/08/73 that the evidence was overwhelming and he saw this crime as premeditated murder. Was Gumm just down playing the evidence in an effort to get Cline to come in for an interview? Or was Whitcraft just sabre rattling? Or had additional hard evidence been developed?

Circumstantial evidence could be things like Weigel being pregnant (goes to motive), the matching ski rope and the overnight bag/beach bag if it was found. Hard evidence could be things like the torn shreds of paper such as from torn up notes, letters, or possibly pages from a diary. The water from one of the glass jugs was going to be tested. I don't know if testing could determine that it came from a specific household or just the community water source. And we don't know if the glass jugs or the concrete blocks were matched to a source or not.

Note that in July 1971 eight family members called in front of a Federal Grand Jury claimed that Michael Cline was dead, but at Christmas time that year Cline called his best friend. Seems to me that perjury charges could have been brought against family members, but maybe it couldn't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that it was actually Michael Cline that called even though his best friend said that it was.

Anyway, we need to hear more from Michael Cline's best friend (he has never been named publicly so I won't either). And we need to hear more from Jo Ellen Weigel's best friend. Was Weigel really planning to spend the night with her after her date, or was the friend just a cover (knowingly or unknowingly) for something else that was supposed to happen that night?

We need to know more about the torn bits of paper seen being examined at the command post of the Metro Squad.

And we need to know for sure if the overnight bag/beach bag was ever found.

Cline Timeline

07/02/70 Thurs: Jo Ellen Weigel (JEW) leaves for date at 6:30 pm with Michael Cline (MC).

07/03/70 Fri evening: the Weigel family calls JEW's friend whom she was to have spent Thurs night with, then call police; Police say there is little they can do.

07/05/70 Sunday: MC leaves for Europe and Israel via NY. JEW's body is found at 3:30 pm.

07/06/70 Monday: Autopsy performed on JEW; Metro Squad called in; MC flies from NY to Europe; LE would neither confirm nor deny whether they spoke to MC before he left NY.

UNKNOWN: Donald Cline contacts Alex Peebles to represent his son just "days after Michael Cline left for Europe on tour". At his hotel in Rome that night Michael Cline had a message to call Peebles.

07/07/70 Tue: COD announced as strangulation. Based on condition body had been in water ~4 days; TOD between Thurs night 07/02 and Fri morning 07/03; divers search for large purse or beach type overnight bag.

07/08/70 Wed: Divers return to continue underwater search; JEW funeral.

07/09/70 Thurs: MC flies home from Rome; MSHP flies to FBI lab in Washington with evidence; Divers continue underwater search; Metro Squad extends investigation to 8 days; LE go to MC's home at 6:00 pm but he refuses to talk with them without his lawyer present; Peebles can't be found.

07/10/70 Fri: Divers continue underwater search.

07/11/70 Sat: MSHP Lab Technician returns from FBI lab; Divers continue underwater search.

07/12/70 Sun: Divers continue underwater search.

07/13/70 Mon: Cass County Prosecuting Attorney reviews lab results; said to be only circumstantial evidence; MC is the 1st material witness to refuse to help the Metro Squad investigation in its 33 cases since it's inception in 1964; Peebles has told the Metro Squad that he will not let MC speak.

07/16/70 Thurs: Grand Jury (GJ) to convene on Thurs 07/23 to consider evidence; Prosecuting Attorney considers case to be premediated murder.

07/23/70 Thurs: First GJ in Cass County in 24-25 yrs; expected to take more than a day to study evidence; last day MC is believed to have been seen around the home by any of the neighbors.

07/24/70 Fri: GJ indicts MC; attempt to arrest MC at his home that night was unsuccessful; he was believed to have left the area earlier that day.

07/25/70 Sat: Warrant issued for MC charging him with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution; Peebles declines to comment.

07/30/70 Thurs: FBI states they believe MC left home either Thurs 07/23 or Fri 07/24 before the indictment came down; that they believe MC could be either in the US or some foreign country; Cline family and Peebles refuse comment; Cline familie's 3 cars are accounted for.

08/20/70: LE says MC was last seen on Thurs 07/23; FBI looking for MC is US and abroad.

07/71: A Federal Grand Jury (FGJ) subpoenaed 8 members of the Cline extended family. All claimed Michael Cline was dead but refused to give any further details.

07/02/71 By the first anniversary the Weigel family were declining all requests for interviews.

12/71: MC calls his best friend XXXX XXXXX and tells him he is attending college and doing well; sends his love to his family.

07/03/72 Two year review article in the KC Star first mentions that JEW was several months pregnant; Metro Squad investigators theorized MC panicked when he learned Weigel was pregnant just as he was leaving on a European trip before going off to college; FBI thought he first went to Mexico.

07/08/73 In an interview the new Prosecuting Attorney Don Whitcraft says he has "overwhelming evidence" and will prosecute.

Respectfully snipped by me...
I read his comment to mean bilyeutj thinks Cline IS involved w/ help from another.

God help someone find this guy. Please.

A common rumor among high schoolers at the time was that Donald Cline, a DVM had attempted to perform an abortion on JEW that Thursday night, 07/02 resulting in her death. Obviously that wasn't true because no such evidence to support that rumor was found during the autopsy and the COD was determined to be strangulation. The Cline family was obviously complicit in Michael Cline's flight from justice but I know of no evidence indicating the family was involved in her murder or the cover up afterwards. Had he faced justice MC would have probably only faced a reduced charge of manslaughter.

In a little more than a month from now Michael Lewis Cline will have avoided justice in this case for 43 yrs. If he is innocent then let him come forward and clear his name. He has not ever been interviewed by LE; Alex Peebles would not permit it! If he is innocent then he deserves that opportunity. Jo Ellen Weigel certainly deserves justice.

It's time for the friends and classmates of Jo Ellen and Michael who would not talk before, to come forward and tell what they know. You may know facts that could help that you don't even realize you have. And on Websleuths you can remain anonymous. Or use the Private Message feature.

It would be especially important to hear from Jo Ellen's friend who she was to spend the night of July 2nd with after her date with Michael, according to Jo Ellen's parents. Your name has never been publicly identified to my knowledge, so I won't use it now.

And to the friend Michael called at Christmas time so long ago, it's time you spoke up as well. There is much more at stake here than your business reputation today. It would be the right thing to do, to clear some things up.

If anyone is from LS, you know if you grew up here it's still very much a small town. People close ranks. I have lived here all my life (Raintree kid) and have never heard of this case. Someone just posted an article about it on the "You Know Your From Lee's Summit When.." Facebook page. It's being discussed as I type this. Someone just said her mom still lives next door to the brother (I don't know if I can say his name here) in the Cline home at the lake. Maybe the new discussion will bring something new to light.

Thanks For the reply, Mojen. I don't really follow that Facebook page. Michael's brother still lives at the family home. It is a gated community but I'm not sure if the gate is being manned anymore. It wasn't the last time I was there.

It's time some of her friends and classmates step up for Jo Ellen.

It was only gated on the Allendale Lake Road entrance, basically the back entrance. I think they only closed it at night, not sure if they still do. The Winnebago Drive entrance from 291 Hwy hasn't ever been gated, so people come and go freely. ETA: the front entrance hasn't been gated since I have been old enough to remember. I wasn't alive when this murder took place.

Jo Ellen worked at Sears, I assume the one behind Johnny Ray's. Everyone who knew her posted about how nice and sweet she was.

Someone said the FBI used to check with neighbors for years after it happened.

People felt sorry for the mom and brother, and the dad disappeared with Mike. (That's not right, is it?)

Employee of Waid's (did you know they just tore that down?) was questioned because Mike was in there the night of the killing.

There is a lady posting on the FB page whose mom was on the European trip with Mike; her father was a cop who investigated the murder.

One of her classmates is calling for the Attorney General to get involved.

There is a woman who posted on the Unfettered Letters to the KC Star Editor saying that the Cline's lived by them in Merriam for a while and that he was a nice, ordinary kid and "not the arrogant, spoiled, rich brat depicted".

Back at that time Sears had small satellite stores that were mostly catalog order desks and catalog pickup locations. You could place a catalog order by phone or in person and pick it up when your order came in. They did have some products on the floor for sale; mostly Craftsman lawnmowers, Kenmore appliances, etc. And they did hire a lot of student help. Jo Ellen worked at one of those but I don't know the location.

Michael Lewis Cline was on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted List for several years before he dropped off the list. I'm sure they did periodically check with friends and neighbors to determine if he ever returned home or not.

Donald Cline did not disappear with Michael. He continued to own and operate his Blue Hills Animal Hospital until he sold it shortly before his premature death. Donald and Chris, Michael's mother probably continued to support Michael financially in those early years thru Alex Peebles, their attorney. Chris most certainly does not deserve anyone's sympathy! If there is anyone who deserves any sympathy because of what this has done to their lives and their family it is Michael's two sisters and his brother. But they could make amends and set the record straight at any time!

I wasn't aware of Michael being in Waids that night. Do you know if this employee was just questioned during the investigation, or was he called in front of the GJ investigation?

I'm not aware of the Cline's ever living in Merriam and would be suspect of that. Donald Cline attended college at K-State and Michael was born in Manhattan. After Donald graduated they returned to his home state of NE where he set up practice in a small, rural community before coming to Lee's Summit and establishing the Blue Hills Animal Hosp. Perhaps Chris might have lived in Merriam early in her 2nd marriage after Donald died before going to Arizona, but I am not aware of any time that Michael would have lived in Merriam.

I have talked to a couple of classmates who were on the summer trip with Michael. If some classmates are wanting to contact the Attorney General maybe that's a good sign they believe Jo Ellen deserves justice and this has gone on long enough!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back