Identified! MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17 - 2007; Jessica Runions, 21 - 2016; found deceased - *ARREST*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by beach, Apr 4, 2017.

1. liltexans

liltexans Moderator Staff Member Moderator

In my opinion, they can and should move forward with charging him with Jessica's murder and any additional charges for her case. They are probably trying to determine cause of death, but they know the manner of death is homicide. I don't think they will delay charging him because they are waiting for identification of the other body.

These cases remind me so much of Morgan Harrington and Hannah Graham. One monster and two innocent victims separated by years. It took Hannah's murder to solve Morgan's case as well. I think Jessica will do the same in these cases. They can move forward with her case and follow up with Kara's when the other body is identified.

2. amosp

amosp New Member

That makes sense. I hope you are right and he is charged as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. amosp

amosp New Member

It's certainly possible he seems capable of basically any kind of violence.

4. Elle*Bee

Elle*Bee We're all just stories in the end.

It doesn't sound like the bodies were buried, at least not deeply, so perhaps the bones were scattered by animals. If this is the case, perhaps a wider search will reveal more bones, perhaps leading to an identification sooner.

5. folieadeuxnola

folieadeuxnola Miami-Dade Jane Doe - 1979

Gut feeling ..... They may make a sooner positive ID than whats been stated. Your right its very early in the search more items may be found.

Lets all hope and pray for sooner....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. kimmo

kimmo Member

I hope so, too. He doesn't deserve to ever be a free man again.

7. Scout87

Scout87 Justice for Jessica and Kara

She is truly one of the strongest people I have ever seen. You can tell watching her with Jessica's mother that they have a rock solid support team in one another. Both of them have been so tenacious and and strong-willed in bringing their girls home. I have no doubt they will be an even stronger force to reckon with as they begin to move forward to finding justice. If there is a silver lining to be found in this, it's that Jessica and Kara were together and it seems they've brought their mothers together to help them find strength in one another as well.

8. Scout87

9. jpo74

jpo74 Well-Known Member

:rose: rip jessica and rip kara :rose:. now you two can rest in peace i do believe Ky using the site agan helped in his downfall and god bless that muschroom hunter for being n the right place at the right time. and the pic of that rainbow is very symbolic.

10. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

I belong to this group. I'm sure they could answer. You guys want me to ask?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8677170818/

The Body Farm - University of Tennessee Forensic Anthropology Facility

11. Claireishere

Claireishere Well-Known Member

Could the skull being in pieces be an indication that she was beaten to death? Or is it typical after 10 years for a skull to be broken due to animal activity? He could also have crushed it way after the fact to destroy evidence.

12. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

And here is their answer.

13. liltexans

liltexans Moderator Staff Member Moderator

“The police department came here and visited us, and told us that the other skull, there has not been able to be any positive identification made, it’s got to go to an outside lab because it was not a complete skull. The time-frame we were actually given was, it could take up to a year,” Rhonda Beckford, Kopetsky’s mom, told reporters.

Runions was last seen last September. While the wait for her to be found is over, Beckford and the rest of Kopetsky’s family still waits to hear if the other remains found are her daughter.

Beckford said she was there to comfort Runions` mom on Wednesday night when she got the confirmation. She says the two of them will continue to work as a team, because she knows this identification is just the beginning for Runions family, as her wait continues.

She believes that no matter how long the identification may take to make, that the second remains belong to her daughter.

“We’ve been waiting for almost 10 years, and the waiting is the hardest part. And I’m just gonna come out and tell you right here and now, in my heart of hearts, I believe it’s Kara. Everybody always said that when he took Jessica, that they felt when they found one they would find both,” Beckford said.

The "he" Beckford is referring to is Kylr Yust, who is charged in Jackson County with knowingly burning Runions' SUV, he's up for trial in that case in October. Yust was Kopetsky's boyfriend at the time of her disappearance, and while he was the primary suspect, he was never charged in her disappearance.

http://fox4kc.com/2017/04/05/author...opetskys-family-is-still-waiting-for-answers/

14. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

I remember this vividly. I still held onto some strange hope after that... somehow she'd be found alive.

I think it's clear this second body is Kara. I hope it doesn't take that long to determine it though.

15. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Active Member

It literally makes me sick to my stomach to think of the fear Jessica and Kara must have had in their last moment. My God. There must be justice for these two girls. I could not imagine what their families are going through right now - the range of emotions and the surreal nature of it all. These people have my respect until the day I am no longer on this earth. To be able to survive such a loss as Kara and Jessica takes great strength and hope. My thoughts and heart are with them.

16. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Active Member

As per the skull... They will likely demineralize portions of the skull bone and essentially turn it to powder to try and obtain a sample from. This process does not give as accurate of a genetic profile as obtaining a sample from viable tissue, but with the absence of better sources of DNA via tissue it is likely the best option. If the portion of skull they found is a limited sample it is possible they are being very careful when testing the sample. Essentially they have to destroy a portion of that piece of skull to get that DNA profile. You would want to make sure to make the test fool proof the first time so you don't exhaust the sample (use up more of the skull/evidence than necessary). The tech testing the sample for DNA is likely being VERY careful to make sure and get a viable sample completed. This might be why it also takes a little bit longer to confirm if it is Kara or not. Also it is sad, but there is a lot of DNA to test for other cases and this backlog really can make identification move slower.

At least that's what I am getting from my reading.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3254873/

17. Beetlegeuze

Beetlegeuze Member

Not expecting to see this so soon but in a way I'm very happy they now know more. It's beyond terrible though that Kara's family have to wait even longer.

Would it be a silly idea that Yust might want to make a deal and tell everything? He's probably so damn cocky he won't but maybe...

18. amosp

amosp New Member

If he makes a deal the death penalty is off of the table. And also I agree he is cocky.

19. Scout87

It's a hopeful thought and I wish he would. But, I believe he's a sociopath. It's likely he's cocky enough to think he can continue to evade punishment. And I'm sure his attorney has already advised him not to say anything. But, Missouri has the death penalty. He might want to start to speak up.

20. Scout87

They need sufficient evidence to demonstrate probable cause. There's no equation or concrete amount of evidence they have to have to do that. They could charge him in the morning if they wanted to. I think that the statement that was filed with the police in 2007- the incident report on him being seen on Highway Y - is a very important piece of evidence. To use that, though, they need to get a positive ID on Kara's remains from the medical examiner. I think that they need to get a guilty verdict on the burning of the car to make it a more bulletproof case. Remember, all the defense needs to do is plant a seed of doubt. The prosecutor needs to be very careful. There's no murder weapon (that we know of). No fingerprints. The lack of forensic evidence there could be a hindrance. I honestly think they need to focus on Jessica. She's the most recent missing, she's been ID'd. If they can get him on the car, and get good witnesses from the party to testify on his behavior and that he left with her, I think they can get him for her murder. If they can get a guilty conviction for Jessica's murder, I believe it will make it easier to prosecute him for Kara's death as well.