MO MO - Loy Evitts, 29, Kansas City, 28 Feb 1977

I have little doubt the police looked into this possibility, and it's a few years prior to his first known killing, but is John Robinson a possibility? The m.o doesn't really fit, but he was certainly living in the KC area at the time. Perhaps her work at the law firm could be connected to either his legal troubles during that period or even his faux 'civic leader work'.

The 35 year anniversary of Loy Evitts' disappearance has just passed. Has anyone seen any press coverage?

Hurricane - do you recall Loy's parents names? Or any siblings? Thanks!

evittsloy.jpg

http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/police/documents/police/evittsloy.jpg

http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2006/03/email_inquiry_l.html

A comment from a friend of Don Evitts 3/4 of the way down the page says her house and car keys were stolen when she disappeared.

*Also, the last comment states that someone remembers the police digging under 470 for her body. Which is odd, since that's quite a way from the Westport / Plaza area. If the person used Loy's car to take her / her body there, they would have been gone with the vehicle for at least 30 more minutes.

* = Edited to add

Hmm. This might make perfect sense to someone who is familiar with the area (which I'm not), but I'm a little curious as to how they knew that she walked to certain stores but drove to another. Is it possible that she did not drive to the drug store and that her car was actually in the garage the whole time? I did see a mention that she wouldn't choose to walk since she loved her car, so was the statement that she drove to the drug store based on that?

Good point. Depending on where she worked, it is very possible that she could have walked from her job on the Plaza to the Katz Drugstore. :what:
I wonder if investigators and friends "assumed" she had taken the car, but she instead decided to walk up Main, and thus bought the umbrella as she thought it might rain on the way back?

If you do Google Maps for "Country Club Plaza, Broadway Street, Kansas City, MO" and zoom in once, you can see the route she may have taken up Main Street and into the edge of Westport there. The Katz was on the corner of Main and Westport Road. She probably would have headed East on 47th, past the large fountain and the church (my church, actually, hah) across the street, and taken Main North to Westport Road.

http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2006/03/email_inquiry_l.html

A comment from a friend of Don Evitts 3/4 of the way down the page says her house and car keys were stolen when she disappeared.

*Also, the last comment states that someone remembers the police digging under 470 for her body. Which is odd, since that's quite a way from the Westport / Plaza area. If the person used Loy's car to take her / her body there, they would have been gone with the vehicle for at least 30 more minutes.

* = Edited to add

470 is right by where they found her purse. 470 and 50 Hwy, coming out of Knob Town heading towards Lee's Summit. Back then, leaving The Plaza to head to South towards Lee's Summit you took 350 Hwy, which turns into 50 Hwy essentially right where they found her purse. I would venture to guess the bridge they found it under is Colburn Road.

They are doing stuff to 470 over there yet again, and Lee's Summit has started it's sprawl crossing 470 along 50 Hwy.

Re: John Robinson: I don't know how to get to Spring Hill, KS where he resided, but they found some of his victims bodies in Belton, Missouri. Heading South from The Plaza towards Belton, the purse location would be right on the way.

Even though this case is cold even on the forums, there are some things to be considered.

What I find puzzling when I read the details about this case is that nowhere is it ever confirmed which bridge her purse was actually found under. The vague reference to a bridge "off of 470 near Unity Village" leaves speculation for it to be the Colbern road bridge as Mojen referred to, which I also assumed.

Upon further research I ran across information that the alleged bridge was the one on Rhinehart Road which is also in proximity to Unity Village. Back in 1977, the area surrounding there was virtually nothing but woods but was (and still is) adjacent to Truman Medical Center hospital. Even today with the urban development if you look on Google Maps it is still largely rural with a vast amount of woods. If Loy is deceased, it seems most probable as to where she is to this day if this is being considered an abduction / murder. The investigator in the case made the same conclusion:

Sgt. John Wilson has helped supervise the police
investigation into Mrs. Evitts' disappearance.
"We know within an hour where she was when she
disappeared from the parking lot on the Country Club
Plaza and we know where her purse was found, and
that's about all the hard evidence we have," Wilson
said. "I suspect she is buried in a shallow grave
somewhere in the area where her purse was found, but
if you don't have a body, you don't have a homicide."

Rhinehart Road Bridge
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9705398,-94.4085858,3a,75y,20.39h,74.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2bIaCPlxGv3hsqItsoPWpg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Also, considering how the Rhinehart Road area was a rural woodsy place not to mention nearly an hour round trip from the Plaza area, it is to be considered that the abductor was perhaps familiar with it? Did he/they live in the neighboring Lee's Summit, Raytown, or Unity Village? Or work at the nearby hospital? Unless the perpetrator pulled off from 470 on a random exit, it seems probable he knew the area was isolated.

It would be interesting to know exactly how long her car had been out of the parking garage. It is doubtful it was the vehicle used to transport the purse. Considering
it is roughly 25-30 minutes to Unity Village from the Plaza, her car would have been gone an additionally long time for a lunch break considering the errands she ran, the distance traveled to the bridge and back, perhaps the length of time a murder was committed and a body disposed? Seems improbable.

The highway was being built in the same general area that some items belonging to her were found.

This popped up on my FB newsfeed today in a county newspaper post. Loy was from a neighboring town and when I saw the photo, I was shocked that I recognized her as a friend of an older friend I used to know.

Here's the link to the FB news piece, which contains another link to a piece in the KC Star:
https://www.facebook.com/1793435387...79343538715/10154424606493716/?type=3&theater

photo from Loy Gillespie Evitts' High School yearbook:
16938611_10154424606493716_2849450290546050942_n.jpg

Her story popped up on my FB feed today, except in a Charley Project post.
I agree with what was said in the article, that none of her pictures look the same.
Here's one I screen captured from the news video:
attachment.php

Hardly looks like the one you posted, Kanz, or the one on Charley, IMHO.

Attachments

• LoyEvitts.jpg
    LoyEvitts.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 84
So Loy was a legal secretary 1977 abduction. Car parked outside of work, purse and keys gone.

"In the ten year article her Mom says that Loy had a feeling something bad was going to happen to her because a friend of hers had a bad dream about Loy and told her about it. Maybe she was unhappy in her life and told everyone "something bad was going to happen"

Then we have...

Cynthia Anderson was a legal secretary, disappeared 1981, car parked outside work, purse and keys missing

"Cindy Anderson was plagued by several bizarre and frightening dreams in which she was abducted and murdered by a stranger"

Very odd coincidence.

I wonder if Toledo ever "interviewed" the suspect that was arrested and released in Joy's case? Just the similarities of the crimes themselves.

They posted a story about her in the KCStar and her husband said that she loved her car so much that she would rather drive than walk just to be in her car. It stated that she was happy in her marriage and no trouble was seen, her husband never remarried nor dated again and still lives in the house that they had purchased together.

Loy is a rather unusual name. Does anyone know how she came by it? Is it a family name? Is it short for something?

Good point. Depending on where she worked, it is very possible that she could have walked from her job on the Plaza to the Katz Drugstore. :what:
I wonder if investigators and friends "assumed" she had taken the car, but she instead decided to walk up Main, and thus bought the umbrella as she thought it might rain on the way back?

If you do Google Maps for "Country Club Plaza, Broadway Street, Kansas City, MO" and zoom in once, you can see the route she may have taken up Main Street and into the edge of Westport there. The Katz was on the corner of Main and Westport Road. She probably would have headed East on 47th, past the large fountain and the church (my church, actually, hah) across the street, and taken Main North to Westport Road.

I live on The Plaza. I used to walk up to the Katz drugstore at 40th and Main when I didn't have a car. But it's a pretty long walk plus it's uphill if you're travelling north, not really the kind of walk a person would likely take on a (usually timed) lunch break.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back