MO - Maycen Coberley, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, Stella, 22 Oct 2011

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by wfgodot, Oct 25, 2011.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Stella, Missouri, was also the home of Rowan Ford, murdered in 2007.

Sheriff: Handgun in home results in child’s death (Joplin Globe)

the rest at Joplin Globe link above

2. LCoastMom

LCoastMom JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE MARIE - STILL WAITING

Oh this hurts my heart. I'm not anti gun, but when are people going to learn that safety must come first when children are involved....

3. badhorsie

badhorsie Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...

Do you have laws in the US covering the safe storage of firearms and ammunition?

Everyone that I know with guns stores them in a gunsafe.

What a tragedy :(

4. animlzrule

animlzrule New Member

They need to start consistently prosecuting people who have firearms around children. How could any one ever keep a loaded gun in the house with a child???? :furious:

5. LCoastMom

We have one. My S-I-L is a cop. In the almost 12 months I have been here I've seen it twice, one night when he got off work (going to put it away) and one night (very late) when he was cleaning his equipment. Otherwise it is locked up.

6. animlzrule

animlzrule New Member

Yes, I would make an allowance for a police officer. My assumption (perhaps naive) is that police officers would be hyper conscientious about how their weapon is secured and stored. My personal belief is that unless one is a police officer, there should never be a loaded firearm in the house if children are present. If an "accident" were to occur in the home with a firearm, then the registered owner and/or shooter should face the harshest possible penalty.

7. Dewey2Me1MoThyme

Dewey2Me1MoThyme Have clue will sleuth!

You can bet they will be doing tension/ resistance tests on that trigger and hammer.

8. LCoastMom

I hope you are right. I can't remember hearing of a child dying from an unsecured police weapon.

My DS has several guns, he and his wife are thinking about starting a family - I'm thinking this Christmas would be the perfect time to get him that gun safe he keeps talking about but hasn't seemed to purchase. His M-I-L would probably agree. Matter of fact I'm going to get on it this week.

I agree with you, no firearm should be left where anyone can come across it that shouldn't and when a shooting occurs the owner needs to be held accountable.

9. Jacie Estes

Jacie Estes Medical Marijuana Advocate

Gun Lock anyone can buy and use them.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=w3i&va=gun+locks+for+9+mm