Identified! MO - McDonald Co., 'Grace Doe' Fem Skeletal 784UFMO, 21-31, Dec'90 - Shawna Beth Garber

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by CarlK90245, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Al Ka

Al Ka Well-Known Member

This case has always been in back of my mind due to its strangeness of hogties and brutality and what Jane Doe might have gone through during possible captivity. I am very thrilled to see latest developments of breaktrough in the case. Thank You Othram!

I am attaching quality photo of her sketch/bust from her DNA Solves page by Othram (all the other photos out there of her sketch are of very low resolution and mini in size) - Who is McDonald County Grace Doe(1990)?

[​IMG]
    (click on image to enlarge)

I have also managed to re-read full thread to refresh my memory and while there were many suggestions for comparisons, I am surprised Grace Doe unique dentals were rarely mentioned.

Now few details about her teeth fom news articles:
    She had had extensive dental work performed before her death. It consisted of things like braces, straightening and overbite corrections. Tellingly, certain teeth had been surgically removed to allow for the normal growth of other adult teeth, something that typically would have been done when the victim was a teenager or even before, Howard said.
    “Somebody cared about her, that’s what is astonishing to me,” Howard said. “Somebody spent thousands of dollars on this girl’s dental work.”

Clay made from her dentals posted previously here

[​IMG]

Details above point that while still young all that complex work was done mostly for cosmetic reasons rather than restorative and that she had possibly very caring people around when growing up.

There is also photo online of her lower jaw with teeth - from 16 lower teeth, she had all present except 2 wisdom teeth. She also had extensive fillings, in at least 7 of them.

Link to 2011 article with photo of lower jaw - Cold case update: bones found

I could not find any details about her upper teeth anywhere or if she had any missing when found. None of the comments at the start of the thread when her full dental chart was still publicly available, indicate any upper missing ones though (except possibly upper wisdom teeth) or any further work such as dental plates, bridges, crowns or cups etc.

I think above dental details could help us when considering new submissions for comparisons to Grace Doe.

2. Rhonie

Rhonie New Member

Im definitely late to this forum; however my mother and Gloria as well as Gloria's husband Wayne. She was last seen at the Painted Pony bar in St. Joe. The last time I saw them was at my going away party in May of that year when I joined the Army. That age progression pic looks similar to Gloria. Those of us within the circle of friends believe ( with good reason) that the one responsible for her disappearance was in fact Wayne himself. He was a truck driver at the time. Wayne filed for divorce shortly after and entered a relationship with a custodian at Missouri Western by the name of Linda.

3. sketchyjen33

sketchyjen33 Well-Known Member

It looks like Gloria has already been excluded as a match to Grace. But the pictures do bear a resemblance:(

4. Rollsballs

Rollsballs Active Member

I think you should make these details known over on your mothers thread. Sorry for your loss

5. FireOwl9

FireOwl9 Someday everything will make perfect sense...

One of the things that struck me the most about Grace's case was the single blonde hair that was found that didn't belong to her. I'm assuming that investigators would have collected this hair to keep as evidence? If so, would it be possible to extract DNA from this hair (even if it was rootless, this technique was successfully used to identify Marlyse Honeychurch and her daugthers) to identify potential perp? Just my thoughts, not sure if it is realistic though.

momsof3, Iona, renee_ellis and 3 others like this.
  6. othram

othram Verified Owner of Othram Inc/DNA Expert

7. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

Rest peacefully now Shawna. Thank you Othram!!

After 30 years, Grace Doe is Identified

“Othram asked the Sheriff’s Office to contact candidate relatives and investigators made contact with Danielle Pixler who was on the genealogical tree developed by Othram. During the conversation, Ms. Pixler stated that she had a half-sister, Shawna Garber, that had been in foster care in Garnett, Kansas and then went back into state care. Danielle did not know what happened with Shawna after she left foster care. After Shawna left foster care, Danielle stated that she had been looking for Shawna for over 28 years. Danielle agreed to contribute a DNA sample and the Topeka Kansas Police Department agreed to take the swab and send it to Lt. Hall. The DNA sample was then forwarded to Othram for testing using a rapid familial test called KinSNP™. Grace has been identified as Shawna Beth Garber.”

8. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

9. othram

Time to mark another Websleuths thread off as "Identified".

momsof3, Vern, Diavola and 17 others like this.
  10. bjhoward

bjhoward Member

Amazing work, Othram!

momsof3, Ajaygee11, MadMcGoo and 10 others like this.
  11. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

I reported it so the mods can do their thing. Rest in peace, Shawna, and I'm glad you can go home to the family that's been looking for you.

12. chaddylex

chaddylex Verified local - Rebecca Stahl case

So glad she has been identified. This has been a pet case of mine for a long time.

Beth Doe found in 1976 in Carbon Co PA was also identified today as Evelyn Colon... Two cold cases today...

Laughing, Al Ka, pukasonqo2 and 11 others like this.
  13. FireOwl9

FireOwl9 Someday everything will make perfect sense...

Oh WOW!!!! Thank you so much @othram! You guys are so amazing! 2021 is definite the year for identifying all our Does!

Rest in peace, Shawna.

KLCD620, Al Ka, Vern and 8 others like this.
  14. victoriarobinson642

victoriarobinson642 Well-Known Member

momsof3, Laughing, faithx and 8 others like this.
  15. Feme98

Feme98 Well-Known Member

Wonderful news! May Shawna's family get the closure and answers soon!

You guys do such an amazing job!

This, along with the effort of LE will bring her killer to justice.

faithx, Ajaygee11, MadMcGoo and 6 others like this.
  16. othram

We hope soon!

faithx, Ajaygee11, Feme98 and 8 others like this.
  17. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Have a nice day!

Grateful to all involved to make this happen. Rest in peace now Shawna. So sorry, life was so cruel to you. Condolences to her loved ones. May justice come swift.

I hope there is a possibility to catch the killer(s). @othram is the one blonde hair found on/near her still preserved?

CptCari, KLCD620, Al Ka and 11 others like this.
  18. bjhoward

bjhoward Member

If Shawna grew up in Garnett, it appears there are only two high schools in that county. Hopefully someone would remember her from that era.

CptCari, Ajaygee11, Suglo and 8 others like this.
  19. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

I am glad she has her name back. Great work by all involved.

But she really deserved a good life that she didn't get to have, and even if there is justice soon, he still got away with it for all that time. A very tragic case.
    Rest in peace.

20. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member