MO - Off-duty officer (Katlyn Alix) shot dead by on-duty officer (Nathaniel Hendren), Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by yabbyyou, Jan 24, 2019.

1. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

I don't like the precedent that "oh, this was a "mistake", sorry I KILLED, someone, by accident, so, just give me a pass.".

2. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Judge changes conditions of bond for St. Louis police officer charged in Russian Roulette-style killing of fellow officer
    Nathaniel Hendren, 29, will now be able to leave the house once a week to attend church

March 18, 2019

"...According to the order, details regarding the time and location of the services have been provided to the state, the court and will be provided to pre-trial services.

Prosecutors objected to the request.

Hendren had been on house arrest and monitored through a GPS device since being released from jail after posting $10,000 bond in late January...."

Judge changes conditions of bond for St. Louis police officer charged in Russian Roulette-style killing of fellow officer

[​IMG]

3. Seattle1

Seattle1 Well-Known Member

It would!

I don't think this will happen here because you'd need people willing to talk, and go on camera.

4. flute4peace

flute4peace Well-Known Member

True. And it's still an open case. Maybe someday.

GordianKnot, GarAndTeed and Seattle1 like this.
  5. Seattle1

I wonder how long NH's partner will be on "admin leave."

6. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

to go to church? really? why not the library? grocery store? separation of church and state my butt. What a crock.

7. Seattle1

KA's Mom has been quoted stating the same, and how KA hung out at the station-- even on her day off. I wonder how prevalent on-duty officers going home is? Appears little incentive here NOT to do it.

I hope we learn the truth about the relationship between victim and shooter sooner than later.

Also, glad to learn that "roulette" style gun play is something combat vets familiar with and/or at least heard about.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  8. Seattle1

Officer Alix's mother told News 4 her daughter wanted to follow the path of her older brother.

"Katie enlisted when she was 17," her mother Aimee said. "I signed for her because that's what she wanted to do. She was following in her brother's footsteps because he did the same."

Officer Alix's mother also said that her daughter enjoyed the camaraderie of being a police officer.

"She loved her job," Aimee said. "Even on her days off, she would go visit her friends down there because like I guess when you're a police officer, (you have) that close bond with everyone." bbm

She added that Alix was often there when others needed her the most.

"Katie was one of a kind. There will never be another Katie. She was the most generous person, kindest person. If you needed her, she would be there," she said.
    'Kindest person;' off-duty officer shot by on-duty officer is remembered for 'one of a kind,' generous personality

ETA: Video of Mom at link. Also, I presume "down there" refers to the precinct(?).

There's also a gorgeous wedding photo of bride and groom at link.

9. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

<Snipped quoted post>

JMO, I don't think that's healthy in any occupation. It's good to interact with people and live your life outside the workplace, cultivate hobbies, other interests and relationships.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2019
  10. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

I don't think its fair to say they are "cultish." I know some people that love their jobs so much that even on their time off they hang out at their work place. For people like that, going to work isn't "work" at all. However, I do agree with Betty P that its probably not a good idea for police officers. They need to get out and mingle with other people to avoid the "us vs them" mentality see life through they eyes of non-police officers. I don't know if that could be mandated, but if I were a chief or supervisor, I would certainly encourage officers to not spend time off at the station and encourage them to get involved in activities that are not LE related. Balance is a good thing.

11. GordianKnot

GordianKnot Well-Known Member

Well, I'd be really interested to know exactly how many times a week NH left his house to attend church prior to killing KA with a shot to the chest.

Something tells me his church attendance rate is about to see a dramatic uptick over whatever it was previously.

<modsnip - unnecessary>

JMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2019
  12. Area52

Area52 Well-Known Member

Not to disagree with you, but I can understand how this happens. Being married to an officer, their work hours are usually not like a 9 to 5 job. Many departments now work 12 hour shifts. Police and firemen dont get every weekend off, or every holiday, so people tend to hang out with people on the same schedule, as far as socializing. Its definately not a regular work week in most cases.

13. Catmammy

Catmammy Well-Known Member

But why are you hanging out where others are WORKING? You're slowing things down for them and the business of their jobs. They're at WORK and their focus should be their jobs NOT off duty personnel who drop in to socialize.

14. Catmammy

Catmammy Well-Known Member

The practice of off duty personnel stopping by to see coworkers who are at work is NOT something endorsed by ANY employer.

15. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Real life is not like an episode of 'ER" or "SVU", people go to work, and then go home, to the gym, whatever, they don't hang out with co-workers 24x7. Even police officers have a life outside of work.

There was some reason KA was at NH's apartment that night. And I don't believe that it was to play "Reverse Russian Roulette".

16. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Observe-up listening to set in ‘Russian roulette’-style taking pictures

Mar 29, 2019

"ST. LOUIS – A prosecutor says there has been no grand jury decision on whether to charge a St. Louis police officer accused of killing a female colleague while playing a variation of Russian roulette.

Judge Thomas McCarthy asked during a hearing Monday if there was a grand jury indictment against Officer Nathaniel Hendren in the Jan. 24 fatal shooting of Officer Katlyn Alix. Told no by an assistant prosecutor, McCarthy scheduled a follow-up hearing for April 29...."

Observe-up listening to set in 'Russian roulette'-style taking pictures

17. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

That is interesting. A bit confusing. I'm not sure if in Missouri a GJ indictment is required for this or not.

18. Seattle1

It is confusing. Not clear if the GJ has heard the case, or if they heard and made no decision.

19. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Also not finding any other recent news report.

Mercedes, GarAndTeed and Seattle1 like this.
  20. GordianKnot

GordianKnot Well-Known Member

Wow! Turns out, those vests really do save lives!

Best line in that article:

Court records don't list an attorney who could speak on behalf of either man.

Pretty sure that's because all attorneys they contacted were rendered speechless upon hearing what transpired.

JMO.