MO - Off-duty officer (Katlyn Alix) shot dead by on-duty officer (Nathaniel Hendren), Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by yabbyyou, Jan 24, 2019.

1. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

There you go, I don't believe anything this guy says! Seriously, when have you EVER SEEN A GUY POUR HIS BEER DOWN THE SINK? Ever?!

borndem, Indy Anna, Jax49 and 6 others like this.
  2. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Yes, I have a difficult time believing both officers abandoned their post and risked and punishment by superiors just so they could rush home to Hendren's apartment to drink a beer and play Russian Roulette.

I also don't understand how they got started on this alleged game of RR. Is that something people do when they're sober or do you have to be pretty drunk? They hadn't been at Hendren's apartment very long when he shot her, probably less than 30 minutes. It certainly didn't seem to be enough time to get drunk enough to play RR, unless they were shooting beers or drinking shots of hard liquor. Seems you wold need to do something to screw up your courage for that game.

3. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

It is stunning to me that on duty officers just leave their patrol area and just go hang out at their apartment, have a few beers. I wonder if this was something that they routinely did. I'd love to see the text messages between KA and NH in the hour or two before arriving at the apartment.
    I seem to recall that the partner voluntarily took a blood alcohol test and it was nera 0. NH had to give a sample for the internal investigation but did not consent to give one for the DA and there was some interference by police and no warrant for a blood test was obtained. So we won't know what NH's BAC was. We should find out about KA, since it should be in the autopsy report.

4. bwt42

bwt42 Well-Known Member

Both could be true

GordianKnot and mickey2942 like this.
  5. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LIVELIKELIZZY

I believe they were at the apartment much longer than 30 minutes. It was reported that they did NOT take the alarm call as reported earlier, but asked another unit to check on it. (i.e., they were already at apartment). MOO

6. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

WATCH: St. Louis Police name the late Katlyn Alix North Patrol's 2018 Officer of the Year

June 14, 2019

"The St. Louis Police Department named Katlyn Alix Officer of the Year for North Patrol in 2018. She was killed in January by a fellow officer while police say the two were playing with a gun. She was 24 and had served the department for two years."

St. Louis Police name the late Katlyn Alix North Patrol's 2018 Officer of the Year

7. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

I wonder when this investigation will be completed?

8. PrairieWind

This seems off to me. I feel terrible for Katlyn and her family. She certainly didn't deserve to die. But she was also clearly doing a few things she absolutely shouldn't have been doing. I am sure there are other officers that may be deserving of this award. To me, this seems like an attempt by the SLPD to appease Katlyn's family.

9. GarAndTeed

GarAndTeed Well-Known Member

I have to agree @PrairieWind .

Psychofcrime, wary, Seattle1 and 4 others like this.
  10. GordianKnot

GordianKnot Well-Known Member

Investigation?

What investigation?

JMO.

MsArk, charminglane, 8paws and 4 others like this.
  11. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LIVELIKELIZZY

ST. LOUIS — Running into a burning building to save lives, chasing down and arresting armed criminals as well as building bridges with the youth in the city's most violent police district are among the deeds that earned Officer Katlyn Alix the title of North Patrol's Officer of the Year this week — an honor that came months after police say she was killed by a fellow officer.
    [...]

Alix, 24, earned Officer of the Month awards in September and October for the Sixth District.

[...]

"She was the epitome of community policing, a consummate professional who was invaluable to this department," Hessel read.

The crowd rose to their feet at the conclusion of Hessel's presentation as Capt. Perri Johnson accepted the award on her behalf.
    St. Louis police officer allegedly killed by her colleague receives officer of the year award

12. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LIVELIKELIZZY

I noticed the "partner" referenced during the award ceremony was Katlyn's partner from the 6th district -- where she served before transferring to where her "friends" worked.

No winners .... MOO

13. PrairieWind

And no mention of her parents being there. You would think they would have accepted the award on her behalf. Or her husband.

14. GordianKnot

GordianKnot Well-Known Member

I gotta' be honest: The very last person I would expect to accept that award on her behalf would be her husband.

I feel horribly for that man. Talk about a complicated bereavement.

JMO.

15. PrairieWind

You may be right. Yep, very rough situation for him. I really wonder what he knew. But he must feel betrayed in so many ways on top of grieving.