GUILTY MO - Rhonda Burgess, 22, murdered, St Joseph, 28 Nov 1991

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by sharon25, May 15, 2005.

1. sharon25

sharon25 New Member

Ex-Husband, Mother-In-Law of Woman Missing 23 Years Accused of Murder

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (AP) -- A man and his mother were charged with murder Thursday in the death more than 23 years ago of his former wife.

Michael E. Milbourn Sr., 44, and his mother, Shirley A. Milbourn, 66, both of St. Joseph, were charged in Buchanan County with the second-degree murder of Rhonda Burgess, who was 22 when she disappeared. Both were being held on bonds of $250,000.

http://www.kctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3339431

On Friday, officials said they found Burgess' remains on farmland in a neighboring county. They believe she was buried there after being shot to death in late November 1981, and said an anonymous tip led them to the burial site.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/breaking_news/11643945.htm

Wonder where the child is that the woman had??
    I wonder who raised the baby and what reason they
    gave for the mother not being there...

2. Loading...

3. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

Jackson County medical examiners spent Saturday trying to confirm the identity of skeletal remains unearthed Friday from an Andrew County, Mo., field.

Investigators think the bones are those of Rhonda Lou Burgess, a 22-year-old St. Joseph woman who police think was murdered and buried in the field 23 years ago.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/11649584.htm

4. Mullins

Mullins New Member

Does anyone know what ever came of the testing?

5. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Pyrrhonist

6. PonderingThings

PonderingThings Former member

http://www.kq2.com/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=3019

7. Opie

Opie Well-Known Member

I wonder what the motive was for this? Also wonder what happened to their child. There has to be more to this story than we can learn from these news articles.

8. SewingDeb

SewingDeb "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."

Since he apologized to her family and to his son, I would say the child survived and is a grown man now.

9. hoppyfrog

hoppyfrog Retired WS Staff

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds...++Milbourn&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=499faa430ac3503f

A man and his mother have admitted guilt to charges in the death 24 years ago of his former wife, a crime that went unsolved until a tip led to discovery of the body in May.

Appearing Thursday in Buchanan County Circuit Court, Shirley Milbourn, 67, said she shot Rhonda Burgess during an argument in November 1981, and her son, Michael Milbourn Sr., 44, said he mopped up the blood and hid the body.

Shirley Milbourn pleaded guilty to second-degree murder. A second-degree murder charge against her son was dropped in return for his guilty plea to abandoning a corpse and tampering with physical evidence. Prosecutors also agreed not to file additional charges against either of them.

more at link

10. davehead21

davehead21 Active Member

I know this thread is really old....but I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this case for some reason.

I went to college with the son. He was raised by his grandma (the one convicted of killing his mother) and grandpa. His father was pretty absent from what I can remember. I really liked the guy, he was smart, funny, and seemed to be pretty well-adjusted for having an absent mother and father. He was very polite-- one of those people you could tell who was raised to have manners and be respectful.

I wasn't super close to the guy or anything and I have not spoken to him in years but he did tell me (before all of this happened) a bit about his family dynamics as he saw them. I truly wonder if his mother came in his grandparents' home and tried to take him (as a baby) away and was killed by the grandmother.

11. theonewhotold

theonewhotold New Member

Shirley Milbourn is my grandmother, I am the one that went to the police and provided ALL of the evidence resulting in the closing of the cold case...but there is more to the story...

12. theonewhotold

theonewhotold New Member

There was more than one child

13. LavenderLotus

LavenderLotus Member

Where is the other child?

14. theonewhotold

theonewhotold New Member

Shirley was released on parole on 4/13/2015.