NOTGUILTY MO - Savannah Leckie, 16, found deceased, Theodosia, 18 July 2017 * mom arrested*

It's been awhile since I last post on her - so I will shorten this up a bit now.

Monday, June 27th:
*Bench Trial set to begin (Motions hearing before trial starts) (@ 8:30am CT) - MO - Savannah Leckie (16) (reported missing July 20, 2017, Theodosia; remains found Aug. 4, 2017 on property, Ozark County) – for *Rebecca M. Ruud (39/now 42), “mother” arrested & charged (8/21/17) & indicted (9/20/17) with 1st & 2nd degree murder, abuse of a child resulting in death, tampering with evidence & abandonment of corpse. Plead not guilty. Denied bond (10/16/18).
Bench Trial was set to begin on 3/7/22 continued to 6/27/22 (thru 6/29) before 31st Judicial Circuit Judge Calvin Holden in Green County in Springfield. Held beginning at 8:30 a.m. each morning Monday through Wednesday.
Court info from 1/30/18 thru 11/9/21 reference post #844 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...theodosia-18-july-2017-arrests.344222/page-43

11/22/21 Update: Status hearing held. State appears by PA John Garrabrant & AAG Tony Brown via Webex. Defendant appears by attorney Duvall & Welborn via Webex. Court appoints AAG Brown as Special Prosecutor. Bench trial set for 3/7/22.
11/30/21: Supplemental Disclosure/Certificate of Service. Bench trial is scheduled to begin on 3/7/22 @ 8:30am in Greene County. 12/28/21: Supplement Disclosure filed by Anthony M. Brown.
2/22/22 Update: The trial for Ruud has been bumped back from 3/7/22 to 6/27/22 to 6/29/22 before 31st Judicial Circuit Judge Calvin Holden. Ruud has requested a bench trial, meaning a judge determines the guilt or innocence of the defendant instead of a jury of her peers. The trial will be held in Greene County, where Holden holds most of his proceedings. A virtual meeting was held in February (2/8/22) with Holden & the defense team, which consists of Ozark County Prosecuting Attorney John Garrabrant & Assistant Attorney General Michael after the attorneys & Judge received a Supreme Court decision on a key piece of evidence that was in question. The evidence is a recording device that Ruud reportedly taped while talking with two Missouri Public Defender employees while discussing her then-expected charges. Ruud reportedly gave the recording to her co-defendant & husband Robert Peat Jr., who offered it to the prosecution team in 2020 when he became a cooperating witness for the state.
3/13/22 Update: There will be a motions hearing on 6/27/22 before bench trial starts. 5/31/22: Proposed Writ of Habeas Corpus ad Prosequendum; Electronic filing Certificate of Service. Filed by AGA Anthony Brown. Sent to Judge for review. Writ requested. Application for Writ of Habeas Corpus ad Prosequendum; Electronic filing Certificate of Service. Filed by AGA Anthony Brown. Sent to Judge for review. Notice of Section 490.692 RSMO Service of Affidavit & Business Records; Electronic filing Certificate of Service. Filed by AGA Anthony Brown. Certificate of Service-Supplemental-5/31/22; Electronic filing Certificate of Service. Filed by AGA Anthony Brown.
6/2/22: Order for Writ of Habeas Corpus Ad Prosequendum. So Ordered, Judge Calvin Ray Holden. Sent to TCSO, Attn: Extradition. 6/6/22: Notice of Section 490.692 RSMO Service of Affidavit & Business Records; Electronic filing Certificate of Service. Filed by AGA Anthony Brown. 6/15/22: Motion in Limine to allow victims to be present in courtroom during trial; Electronic filing Certificate of Service. Filed by AGA Anthony Brown. Sent to Judge for review. 6/17/22: Correspondence sent. Clerk informed TCJ of Judge's Order. Court orders jail to have defendant dressed in street clothes & ready for Bench Trial setting beginning 6/27/22 by 8:30am. Court order for street clothing will be valid for any additional court appearances through 6/30/22. Filed By: Judge Calvin Holden.
6/24/22 Update: The trial will likely be one of the last big cases for Judge Holden, as he’s announced that he’ll retire July 31. Former Ozark County Prosecuting Attorney John Garrabrant, who retired from his position here in December 2021, will prosecute the case alongside Missouri Attorney General Anthony Michael Brown. Missouri Public Defender Yvette Renee Duvall of Springfield is representing Ruud.
*Robert Peat, Jr. (31/now 33) – Pretrial conference hearing on 5/18/21 was cancelled. Next hearing will be after Ruud’s trial.
Thank You for taking the time to put together a remarkable summary of all the current facts (Court adm.) all the legal authorities, evidence present for the Hearing and the Trial.
I only recently had a chance encounter online, where I came accross this site and taught what a fantastic, amazing medium of following cases of interest and their outcomes.
Many thanks to Tricia Griffith for managing this site with the utmost integrity, and particular thanks to all the people working, volunteering or contributing their facts, or ideas regarding all the many, many cases, or crimes in society... Many Thanks!
I don't usually take interest in cases at this level, it's only recently I started analyzing another case in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (Richard Taylor) and during that time; I also came accross this case regarding Rebekah Ruud..
After learning that this case was also scheduled for June, 2022, I decided to follow it.. Keep up the good work -- Many Thanks!

I found these tweets -

for Monday, 6/27:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
2h
OPENING STATEMENTS - Horrific details given by the prosecutor. 16-yr-old Savannah Lackie went missing in July 2017. Her mother said she must have run away. Her remains were discovered in a burn pile in August 2017.

OPENING STATEMENTS - Prosecutor says the defendant recorded her own visit to the public defender's office. In that recording, she admits to burning Savannah's body. In that "story" she said Savannah died from a drug overdose and she burned her body, but that's not true per pros.

OPENING STATEMENTS - Prosecutor: Jailhouse inmates will testify that the defendant said she crushed up hydrocodone and put in Savannah's drink. That Ruud then thought Savannah was dead, brought her body to burn pile, "she wasn't dead, she woke up screaming"...

OPENING STATEMENTS - Prosecutor: And then the defendant hit her with a rake or some other instrument until Savannah could scream no more.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

I'll see if I can hunt up some more.

Law&Crime Network
@LawCrimeNetwork
·
1h
Prosecutor Anthony Brown said that #RebeccaRuud burned her 16-year-old daughter alive. "The defendant thought Savannah was dead and brought her body to the burn pile to dispose of the evidence," the prosecutor said. "She wasn't dead. She woke up screaming."

During opening statements, the prosecution claimed that #RebeccaRuud believed she was unfit to become a mother, and several witnesses will testify to that. Ruud is on trial for allegedly murdering her 16-year-old special needs daughter in 2017.

#RebeccaRuud's defense attorney said that her daughter Savannah was continuously let down by her Minnesota family, who adopted her at birth.

thiscountrygirlslife
@countrygrllife
·
2m
#RebeccaRuud reported her 16yr old daughter #SavannahLeckie missing on July 20, 2017. The teen’s remains were later discovered, burned on Ruud`s property near Theodosia.

#RebeccaRuud, an Ozark County MO woman who is accused of killing and dismembering her teenage daughter. Her bench trial began this morning in Greene County MO. The trial is expected to last 3 or 4 days.

link: https://twitter.com/hashtag/RebeccaRuud?src=hashtag_click

A few more tweets I found - hopefully no repeats.

Cathy Russon Retweeted
Law&Crime Network
@LawCrimeNetwork
"I tried to put this out of my mind": The former sheriff of Ozark County, Missouri said that the murder case of #SavannahLeckie has disturbed him.

The Ozark County Sheriff told investigators he saw “red flags” early in this investigation after Savannah went missing and that’s when they obtained a search warrant for the property.

thiscountrygirlslife
@countrygrllife
·
1h
#RebeccaRuud married Peat on Friday, August 4, 2017, the same day Leckie’s remains were found. The Ozark County Sheriff arrested them both a few days later. A trial date for Peat has not been set yet.

Prosecutors charged #RebeccaRuud and her husband Robert Peat, Jr. with first-degree murder, second-degree murder, child abuse resulting in death, tampering with evidence, and abandonment of a corpse.

(1/2)Prosecutors said the judge will hear from the former Ozark County Sheriff about the case. Prosecutors will also call Robert Peat Jr, who was #RebeccaRuud’s boyfriend at the time. He is also charged in Savannah Leckie’s death.

(2/2) The state said #RebeccaRuud claimed her daughter overdosed on drugs, however, prosecutors claim they will call witnesses to the stand who said that Ruud killed her daughter deliberately.

(1/2)#RebeccaRuud’s defense said she suffered a history of abuse in her childhood and detailed how she fought to have custody of Savannah Leckie. The defense also said the teen had struggled with mental health and suicidal ideations.

(2/2)The defense also claimed there is no evidence #RebeccaRuud killed Savannah Leckie, though Ruud will admit to burning Leckie’s body.

Thank You very much @Niner I hadn't even thought about looking for tweets. I am listening to the trial though.
I was going to watch some of that in the morning.

Can you take notes - like "who" the witnesses are? It would help me keep up with my notes. If not - it's okay - I'll check Cathy's tweets in the morning....
Off to bed for me now! :)

edited to add - I do have the former Ozark Sheriff Darrin Reed as the first witness.

I found these tweets -

for Monday, 6/27:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
2h
OPENING STATEMENTS - Horrific details given by the prosecutor. 16-yr-old Savannah Lackie went missing in July 2017. Her mother said she must have run away. Her remains were discovered in a burn pile in August 2017.

OPENING STATEMENTS - Prosecutor says the defendant recorded her own visit to the public defender's office. In that recording, she admits to burning Savannah's body. In that "story" she said Savannah died from a drug overdose and she burned her body, but that's not true per pros.

OPENING STATEMENTS - Prosecutor: Jailhouse inmates will testify that the defendant said she crushed up hydrocodone and put in Savannah's drink. That Ruud then thought Savannah was dead, brought her body to burn pile, "she wasn't dead, she woke up screaming"...

OPENING STATEMENTS - Prosecutor: And then the defendant hit her with a rake or some other instrument until Savannah could scream no more.

I'll see if I can hunt up some more.
Thanks for posting - what is appearant in this case, is that the Public can view the trial online at their own convenience.
The Prosecutor Opening Statement was muffled quite a bit; therefore no ability to clearly understand some of his arguments.

However, the Defense Opening Arguments were crystal clear.. What grabbed my attention immediately was the Defence opening with the birth of this teen (2004).. but couldn't get the date accurate.. when this is prior knowledge and the Prosecution (2001), already laid out all this fact for them..

The Defense have no case, they finished the opening with; all that Ruud did was burn the body..! This means that some kind of deal was worked out, where the Defendant will admit to burning the body.. this is treacherous..
Ruud needs to forget any deal they offered her... and take the withness stand.. tell her truth.. whatever that is.. at least we'll hear it from her!

The Prosecution and the Defense have a predetermined outcome for this trial.. therefore making Ruud into one of their most treacherous female killers!

Ruud have already lost everything.. not much else to loose... Do hope she finds the strength to tell what happened, how it happened and possibly why (if her own Defense is correct)?

Ethier way this case planned outcome is going to be beyond Judicial intervention, with damming Fire volunteers testifying.. Unless Ruud can clearly tell us whatever she knows... Ruud has already pleaded "Not Guilty." However, her Defense has her being labelled a killer!

One chief Fire volunteer, even admitting to a crutial statement in 2017, made by Ruud... only this guy decided to reveal such days before the trial in, June, 2022... Begging the question: Does the memory detoriate with time or enhance?

@Niner I am sorry I didn't get all of the witness's names. I fell asleep as I am not feeling good.

You can find them on the above video. I won't be here in the morning either.

For Monday, 6/27 - this is all I could find.

Law&Crime Network
@LawCrimeNetwork
·
11h
LISTEN: In an audio recording, accused murderer #RebeccaRuud claimed that her special needs teenage daughter killed herself.

#RebeccaRuud claimed that the daughter she’s accused of murdering threw herself into a blaze, the local fire chief testified.

A volunteer firefighter testified that he saw a burn on #RebeccaRuud's arm when responding to a call about a brush fire. The witness said Ruud told him that the burn came from an accident when moving chainsaws away from the fire.

It is VERY hard to hear the proceedings - so hopefully I have the names right of the witnesses.

Tuesday, June 28th:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 8:30am CT) - MO - Savannah Leckie (16) (reported missing July 20, 2017, Theodosia; remains found Aug. 4, 2017 on property, Ozark County) – *Rebecca M. Ruud (39/now 42), “mother” arrested & charged (8/21/17) & indicted (9/20/17) with 1st & 2nd degree murder, abuse of a child resulting in death, tampering with evidence & abandonment of corpse. Plead not guilty. Denied bond (10/16/18).
Bench Trial set to begin on 6/27/22 (thru 6/29) before 31st Judicial Circuit Judge Calvin Holden in Green County in Springfield. Held beginning at 8:30 a.m. each morning Monday through Wednesday.
Court info from 1/30/18 thru 6/24/22 reference post #878 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...theodosia-18-july-2017-arrests.344222/page-44

6/27/22 Monday, Trial Day 1: Opening statements by Missouri Attorney General Anthony Michael Brown & Missouri Public Defender Yvette Renee Duvall.
For more info see post #883 & 884 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...theodosia-18-july-2017-arrests.344222/page-45
Former Ozark County Prosecuting Attorney John Garrabrant, who retired from his position here in December 2021, will prosecute the case.
State witnesses: Former Ozark Sheriff Darrin Reed. Michael Williams, firefighter in Theodosia & worked at ReadyMix with Ruud. Timothy Jefferys, volunteer firefighter. Robert Peat, Sr., chief firefighter for Kenny Hill. Winston Collins (?), was Chief Deputy Sheriff in Ozark County back in 2017. Now with Christian County.
Prosecutor played recording. Curtis Dodds (?), in 2017 was with the Ozark County Sheriff’s office, now with Christian County.
For more info see post #885, 889 & 891 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...theodosia-18-july-2017-arrests.344222/page-45
It was VERY hard hearing the names of the witnesses, so some are guesses! J Trial continues on 6/28/22.

*Robert Peat, Jr. (31/now 33) – Pretrial conference hearing on 5/18/21 was cancelled. Next hearing will be after Ruud’s trial.

I forgot to post this earlier.

June 27, 2022

Attorneys presented their opening statements in Ruud's trial, which began early Monday morning in a Greene County courtroom in front of Judge Calvin Holden. Ruud elected to have Holden decide whether she is guilty instead of a jury.

Prosecution reveals cause of death, Rebecca Ruud's recording

Assistant Attorney General Anthony Brown who is presenting the state's case, said what Leckie suffered is something no person should ever have to go through.
[.....]
During the opening statements, Brown also revealed for the first time publicly how the state believes Leckie died. According to Brown, Ruud drugged Leckie with hydrocodone and then burned her alive.
[.....]
Previously, Leckie's cause of death had not been released, only that her body had been burned.

Brown also outlined a number of witnesses that he would be calling throughout the trial which includes former Ozark County Sheriff Darrin Reed, a number of Ozark County deputies, volunteer firefighters from the area, and a number of inmates from the Taney County Jail who Ruud allegedly confessed her crimes to.

"We expect to present three separate women who were all housed with the defendant at some point," Brown said. "All of these people are not very good people, they're all convicted felons, the state admits that."

Brown also discussed a recording Ruud made confessing to certain aspects of the crime, revealing for the first time that Ruud admitted on the recording to burning Leckie's body.
[.....]
In the defense's opening statement, Ruud's attorney Yvette Duvall said that much of the investigation was not based on actual evidence.

"From the very beginning, this was not a missing person's investigation, it was a death investigation," Duvall said. "It was about thoughts and feelings, not evidence."

Duvall argued that the only thing Ruud is guilty of is burning Leckie's body, stating that according to Ruud, Leckie — who had a history of depression, cutting, and had previously attempted suicide — killed herself and Ruud burned the body.
[.....]
Reed, the now-former sheriff, was the first witness called. Prosecutors focused many of their questions on how Reed found Leckie's burned remains, which were recovered under a pile of logs on Ruud's property.
[.....]
Ruud's trial is expected to run through Wednesday.

Bench Trial for alleged Murder of Rebecca Ruud Biological, 16 years old offspring.
Based on history of events we know:

1. Sheriff's office & various individuals volunteering for the Fire Dept. conducted unofficial searches on Ruud's property in July, 2017, after Missing Persons Report were filed; no remains were found.

2. Ruud asked authorities, if she was able to leave, meaning she was not a suspect and not charged with any offence. Person/s representing the Sheriff's Office (Deputy), gave consent for Ruud to do as any free person would; therefore leave if she chooses.

3. However, on August 04, 2017, when Ruud was away from the property, authorities searched the property again (Warrant), then revealing that burnt remains were found... but not substantial amounts.. only bone fragments from fingers and tooth representative of S. Lackie; as per Forensic testing (reportedly)..

4. The Human body has a massive exoskeletal structure.. which leave one in absolute shock to know finger fragments were found (tiny), but none of the larger skeletal structure?

5. Pieces of this puzzle...smells!

6. Further, a pre-recorded tape suddenly shows up among what Peat declears was recorded by Ruud, and given to him back in 2017, only he never knew the tape existed.. Not true! Why? Do remember Peat is also charged, but based on influence he's not behind bars... He ought to be..if the legal system declared Ruud a flight risk, isn't Peat also a flight risk.. They left the property together in 2017!

7. Meaning if Ruud is guilty of anything Peat is also guilty.. he lived on the Property where surposed remains were found. He knew everything about Ruud and the teen sharing those premises.. If there was ever a tape made by Ruud, Peat would be the first to listen to it and help secure it...

8. Can tape recordings be edited? Re-recorded and dates change? You be the Judge!

9. Further, a volunteer Fire Chief, now testifies under oath that Ruud told him... "What's she surposed to do if/ when your daughter throws herself in the fire?" Is this fact? All the Fire volunteers have aged considerably in 5 years ,and nolonger volunteers for the Fire Dept. They have no recollection of any details the Prosecution (Brown) wants them to testify too..

10. What's even more puzzling is that this Fire Chief had a memory lapse.. so he never told anyone Ruud said such and such... until last week (June, 2022).

Anyways, those are only a few of the details revealed in this trial... that is set to make an example of Ruud.. Nothing is adding up.. that's when you know there's a lot more going on here!

Attorneys should at least try to uppear reputable.. not fake evidence, this is the very reason why the, Justice System repeatedly faces disrepute!

Not everyone is dishonest, however those individuals that are dishonest, makes it incredibly difficult for anyone to have such a career.. if they choose to practise with honesty and integrity.
Thanks for reading.. maybe it's all just an open and shut case for you -- but look at the evidence presented to date and..the Prosecution is threading water.. trying to build a career with tainted evidence.. Oh and this deputy Sheriff testifying couldn't remember if he wore gloves or not when collecting.. so called evidence from the burn pit..
Okay.. that's it I promise... have a good day everyone!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back