MO - Sherrill Levitt, 47, Suzie Streeter, 19, & Stacy McCall, 18, Springfield, 7 June 1992 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always found the victims' employment histories interesting. Having lived in a Springfield-sized town, I found, during those wild days prior to the end of the century, that those sorts of job locales were prime places to encounter drugs, hear them discussed, find where to get them - the gym and the salon for coke and the theater for a variety of cheaper alternatives. Which reinforces my belief that, in some way, shape or form, drugs may have been a prime mover in the event on Delmar.

Secondly, I wish we had a separate thread where you guys that really, really know this case, the savvy vets and the true researchers, could, World Series of Poker-style, lay down your cards and see who has the best hand - a place where we could go back to the beginning and learn chronologically the knowns or unknowns about the event, and the real likelihoods of what did transpire. I for one would be very happy to sit in the crowd and watch it unfold.

You can always start a thread like that for this case. I like when there are more opinions being discussed. When people post with fixed ideas that's usually when fights start. Fresh eyes are a nice thing. If everyone was sharing their research that would actually be cool.

I have a hard time believing that anyone would use that night to plan an abduction or murder. Graduation night has parties and kids moving around and plans changing. Also neighbors are outside and so are cops. Sherrill could have decided to go to a neighbors at the last minute. There had to be plenty of days when schedules were much clearer. One party gets broken up by cops, you have kids needing places to stay. Sherrill could have ended up taking in more strays whether she wanted to or not. How long had the trip to Branson been planned? For Stacy it seemed important to have plans because her mother seemed in favor of the school lock in.
I haven't heard of a school lock in until now. Can you describe what that is?

I haven't heard of a school lock in until now. Can you describe what that is?

It's like a safe way to celebrate graduating where the school holds an all night event. Kids go at night and aren't allowed to leave until the morning. Schools have games, raffles, things to do that are supposed to be fun and keep people out of trouble.

I still think Suzie was the target it just makes the most logical sense.

She had questionable taste in men and they would certainly of hung around with other questionable people.

This also all happened after Suzie got home as well which would indicate Suzie as the target.

IMO

Stacy didn't have to go to Suzie's. She had her own house she could have gone to which might have been closer. If they drove to Suzie's why take two cars? We don't actually know the order of things that happened that night. We know how the Delmar house looked, that the cars were there, as were purses, we don't know how cars and purses got there for sure. We don't know if any violent crime was committed in the house. We don't know anything about Stacy's private life. Just my thoughts.

take that thought in a different direction .She let it be known that Suzie was graduating & would be going to Branson and she would be home alone for the weekend ... A LOT of personal information goes down in salons . She had over 200 + clients .
It's simple, specific details like this one, with few moving parts, that help one focus on probables instead of possibles.

Yes. Suzie wanted to go home because of a stomach ache (too much to drink? or was it pizza?).

But why was she seemingly adamant about getting Stacy to go with her? She made it from her house to Janelle's by herself.

I say 'adamant' because Janelle's mom said she heard the girls talking outside just before they left and Suzie was telling Stacy to follow her home and Stacy said, "OK. I will", (emphasis on 'I will') in a way like when you're about to do something you don't really want to do.

Why would Suzie be trying to convince Stacy to go with her? Heck, why didn't Stacy just say, "Oh, heck with it. I'm tired. I'm going home"?
Did something happen at one of the parties that made Suzie afraid. If so, wouldn't staying at Janelle's (full) house be safer than being home with just her, her mom, and Stacy?

Last edited:
You can always start a thread like that for this case. I like when there are more opinions being discussed. When people post with fixed ideas that's usually when fights start. Fresh eyes are a nice thing. If everyone was sharing their research that would actually be cool.
You contact the players and I'll book the venue!

I have a hard time believing that anyone would use that night to plan an abduction or murder. Graduation night has parties and kids moving around and plans changing. Also neighbors are outside and so are cops. Sherrill could have decided to go to a neighbors at the last minute. There had to be plenty of days when schedules were much clearer. One party gets broken up by cops, you have kids needing places to stay. Sherrill could have ended up taking in more strays whether she wanted to or not. How long had the trip to Branson been planned? For Stacy it seemed important to have plans because her mother seemed in favor of the school lock in.
They had to sign up for lock in a week in advance . That’s what Mrs McCall was upset about .she says Stacy changed her mind and wanted to go but they wouldn’t let her .
She petitioned and got that changed . You can show up now and go in ( just can’t leave ).

Yes. Suzie wanted to go home because of a stomach ache (too much to drink? or was it pizza?).

But why was she seemingly adamant about getting Stacy to go with her? She made it from her house to Janelle's by herself.

I say 'adamant' because Janelle's mom said she heard the girls talking outside just before they left and Suzie was telling Stacy to follow her home and Stacy said, "OK. I will", (emphasis on 'I will') in a way like when you're about to do something you don't really want to do.

Why would Suzie be trying to convince Stacy to go with her? Heck, why didn't Stacy just say, "Oh, heck with it. I'm tired. I'm going home"?
Did something happen at one of the parties that made Suzie afraid. If so, wouldn't staying at Janelle's (full) house be safer than being home with just her, her mom, and Stacy?

That’s just how Stacy talked . I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on it .
It was Stacy that wanted to stay out and not go home . She’s following bc she had never driven there before .

I’ll add , I would not put too much stock in “ facts “ provided by KK , just moo of course .

It would be great if 48 Hours would have a marathon of unsolved mysteries featuring this case as one of the episodes. I think it would be viewed by people who don't normally watch this kind of stuff because most people are quarantined. I haven't watched a movie in years and I watched all episodes of Tiger King the other day, something that would not have happened if I wasn't stuck inside.

That’s just how Stacy talked . I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on it .
It was Stacy that wanted to stay out and not go home . She’s following bc she had never driven there before .

I’ll add , I would not put too much stock in “ facts “ provided by KK , just moo of course .

Stacy wanted to stay out? I missed that. I was under the impression that Suzie (and Janelle) were the party girls, at least more so than Stacy. Like @cherrymeg posted, we don't know much of Stacy's private life, or much at all really. Why do you say that's just how Stacy talked?

What it is about Janelle's mom you don't feel good about? Do you think she's covering for Janelle? In what way?

Stacy wanted to stay out? I missed that. I was under the impression that Suzie (and Janelle) were the party girls, at least more so than Stacy. Like @cherrymeg posted, we don't know much of Stacy's private life, or much at all really. Why do you say that's just how Stacy talked?

What it is about Janelle's mom you don't feel good about? Do you think she's covering for Janelle? In what way?

I believe Suzie asked Brian Joy if they could stay there. I feel like a stomach ache might have been a way of trying to stay around people versus going to her home where it would be just three women. A stomach ache could have been away of saying cramps. Having your period won't save from a rapist but it's worth a try.
Suzie might have dated some questionable guys. She didn't have a problem ending things with them. She left her brother's place when many teens would have taken advantage of the lack of supervision. She seemed to have boundaries and street smarts. It's possible she noticed some at the party that made her uncomfortable or worried for a friend.

I find KK's hearing suspiciously good. I also wonder if she gave those girls alcohol why she would let them drive off so late or early in the morning. It's irresponsible. i

I believe Suzie asked Brian Joy if they could stay there. I feel like a stomach ache might have been a way of trying to stay around people versus going to her home where it would be just three women. A stomach ache could have been away of saying cramps. Having your period won't save from a rapist but it's worth a try.
Suzie might have dated some questionable guys. She didn't have a problem ending things with them. She left her brother's place when many teens would have taken advantage of the lack of supervision. She seemed to have boundaries and street smarts. It's possible she noticed some at the party that made her uncomfortable or worried for a friend.

I find KK's hearing suspiciously good. I also wonder if she gave those girls alcohol why she would let them drive off so late or early in the morning. It's irresponsible. i
That bro-sis apartment share break-up led to enough rumors that Bartt saw fit to deny them in print (in the News-Leader, Aug. 24, 1992):

Bartt dismisses as "rumors" that the fight with Suzie involved a
stabbing with a fork, or that Suzie was badly bruised.

"There was no fork. There was an argument over the stereo because I
had the volume too loud. We had a little shoving match. Suzie and I
had moved into a house together and there was a bunch of extenuating
circumstances why it didn't work out. There was some boyfriend
problems. There were some partying problems on my part. There was
a situation of me being 28 and Suzie being 18. We jumped into it
too fast, and it didn't work out. And Mom expected me to be the
protector and to bend my life. Then "48 Hours" or somebody else
said something to me about my sister having bruises all over here.
There's no way." (The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #4)

According to the weather it was going down to around 51 degrees that night. I could see people there sleeping with their windows open. Here in Florida and back home in Texas, we close the windows and start the heater at that temp, LOL.

And, a mom wakes up when her child comes home after being out partying - my wife does that every time our son comes home.
She even gets up to check on him! I could see Janelle's mom doing that.

So if Suzie wanted to stay around other (more) people, why would she want to go home? Maybe she really did feel pretty bad/sick.

From what I've read the girls planned on driving to Branson Saturday night. Definitely Suzie and Stacy. Was Janelle supposed to go too? Anyone else? Say Janelle's BF Mike?

They changed their minds early on (at Joy's party), but after the Hanover party, back at Joy's, Joy changed his mind (I wonder how he felt about that after finding out what happened to them?).

This led them back to Janelle's and the offer to stay there. They decided it was too crowded and they went to Suzie's.

I wonder what made them change their minds about Branson so early in the evening. Was Stacy's house closer, and if so, did she offer Suzie to stay at her place? Did Suzie have a falling out with Janelle some time that evening that negated her desire to stay there?

Almost 28 years and we still have no answers, much less a viable motive...

Well, it was reported that as many as 18 people roamed in and out of Sherrill's house the next day (Sunday - without either Suzie or Sherrill there!). So I guess it was a popular spot for Suzie's friends, although Janelle, supposedly a very good friend, had never been there (so how did Mike know the way?).

But I just don't see Suzie inviting people over to her house that late at night. And Janelle's house , being closer to Branson, would be a logical 'meet up' place Sunday morning...

That bro-sis apartment share break-up led to enough rumors that Bartt saw fit to deny them in print (in the News-Leader, Aug. 24, 1992):

Bartt dismisses as "rumors" that the fight with Suzie involved a
stabbing with a fork, or that Suzie was badly bruised.

"There was no fork. There was an argument over the stereo because I
had the volume too loud. We had a little shoving match. Suzie and I
had moved into a house together and there was a bunch of extenuating
circumstances why it didn't work out. There was some boyfriend
problems. There were some partying problems on my part. There was
a situation of me being 28 and Suzie being 18. We jumped into it
too fast, and it didn't work out. And Mom expected me to be the
protector and to bend my life. Then "48 Hours" or somebody else
said something to me about my sister having bruises all over here.
There's no way." (The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #4)

The police were answering questions about this case in the newspaper. There was a lot of interest along with really crazy rumors. Suzie could have stayed with Bartt and not gone to school. Her living arrangements didn't prevent her from graduating. It's not surprising that a 28 year old and an 18 living together could have problems. Bartt wasn't her parent and was still partying himself. A few years could have changed things. Suzie seemed like she was pretty mature for her age but she was still a teenager.

Attachments

• QAglenn1clipping_36618603.pdf
    402.2 KB · Views: 3
Well, it was reported that as many as 18 people roamed in and out of Sherrill's house the next day (Sunday - without either Suzie or Sherrill there!). So I guess it was a popular spot for Suzie's friends, although Janelle, supposedly a very good friend, had never been there (so how did Mike know the way?).

But I just don't see Suzie inviting people over to her house that late at night. And Janelle's house , being closer to Branson, would be a logical 'meet up' place Sunday morning...
May not have been kids at party or socially acceptable sorts. Maybe she had to excuse herself from her friends and hook up elsewhere. Maybe they got in easily on Delmar because Suzie first met up with them outside, knowing they were coming.

If Suzie's house was a hangout spot why not have people over? Sherrill like Janis wasn't serving alcohol to underage kids, or throwing a party at her house. Finding the Levitt/Streeter home probably wouldn't be hard but that doesn't mean the behavior of Janelle and Mike wasn't a little strange. Supposedly the purses weren't noticed until Janis finally got there. While people are holding a vigil for the three women, no one checks with the McCalls to see if Stacy contacted them. Why assume that Sherrill is with them. Sherrill could have gone out and left her car at home and walked in later to find 18 people wandering around her home. JK and MH seemed rude. Whether they were in the house before or not, one invite doesn't mean you are welcome for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie