MO - Six Mohler family members for child sex crimes, Bates City 2009 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would much rather believe the alleged victim, then the alleged perpetrator any day! But that's just me!

Does anyone have any thoughts on Darrel Mohler and the cousin showing up in court? The reason I ask is I've remained very perplexed about an element of our trial. It lasted nine days and the courtroom was filled. Our children were held in a separate holding room until they testified but we were allowed to be in the court. We had a number of family members and friends but nothing like the rapist's family. His "side" was absolutely filled to overflowing. Many of his supporters sat around us, which was very disconcerting.

Missizzy - I don't believe Darrel was in court as he lives in FL. He was contacted by a reporter and gave a statement.

Darrel was in court and gave his statement to the media there. There was no cousin - just Sr's brother, Darrel Mohler. The initial media reports were inaccurate.

Let's continue here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4430667#post4430667"]5 Family Members Arrested In Connection w/Child Sex Crimes #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I'll have this thread locked.

Thanks,

Salem

They can arrest him on suspicion of rape based on an allegation by someone else, at that point that is not public record, nothing is public record during an ONGOING investigation, it becomes public record when CHARGES ARE FILED with the COURT CLERKS office. From what I have seen KIDD was arrested on suspicion and SOMEONE leaked this information to the media, obviously because the LE wants more people to come forward so the more people they arrest the more at ease victims will feel to continue coming forward. So immediately after Kidds arrest it was leaked to the media and the lead story was KIDD ARRESTED AND FACING CHARGES OF FORCIBLE RAPE WITH A CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 12. This is NOT the way to handle it, nothing should have been leaked to the media until he was brought in for questioning to determine if he had an alibi or whatever IF they then determined he was a real suspect THEY WOULD THEN FILE charges and at that point it would become public record. This was mishandled and I dont care what the guys prior arrest record is, such is inadmissable in court anyway, we are only dealing with the facts of THIS CASE and apparently they had nothing on him and had to let him go but not until after they USED HIS ARREST to get more media attention to make this case look bigger than it is so more victims will feel more at ease coming forward.

There is a right way to do these things and a wrong way and they did it the wrong way. Completely unethical.

I'm confused, I guess. If I've been in error, I apologize. I thought both Darrel Mohler and Merrill Clark were in court. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

Proximus, have you read the probable cause document? Still not buying it?

They can arrest him on suspicion of rape based on an allegation by someone else, at that point that is not public record, nothing is public record during an ONGOING investigation, it becomes public record when CHARGES ARE FILED with the COURT CLERKS office. From what I have seen KIDD was arrested on suspicion and SOMEONE leaked this information to the media, obviously because the LE wants more people to come forward so the more people they arrest the more at ease victims will feel to continue coming forward. So immediately after Kidds arrest it was leaked to the media and the lead story was KIDD ARRESTED AND FACING CHARGES OF FORCIBLE RAPE WITH A CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 12. This is NOT the way to handle it, nothing should have been leaked to the media until he was brought in for questioning to determine if he had an alibi or whatever IF they then determined he was a real suspect THEY WOULD THEN FILE charges and at that point it would become public record. This was mishandled and I dont care what the guys prior arrest record is, such is inadmissable in court anyway, we are only dealing with the facts of THIS CASE and apparently they had nothing on him and had to let him go but not until after they USED HIS ARREST to get more media attention to make this case look bigger than it is so more victims will feel more at ease coming forward.

There is a right way to do these things and a wrong way and they did it the wrong way. Completely unethical.

IMO - Kidd has some connection to THIS CASE or to the alleged abusers. They're still investigating. They let him go. No harm, no foul. He's no saint, after all.

Unethical or illegal ?
I think they had something on him, just not enough to charge him. Yet.

I am curious though, can you provide some links to statutes that show arrest records can't be released unless a person is charged ?

I'm confused, I guess. If I've been in error, I apologize. I thought both Darrel Mohler and Merrill Clark were in court. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

Proximus, have you read the probable cause document? Still not buying it?

Clark was in court as a bystander to show support for his family. Darrel was nowhere near court and has now been arrested as I understand it. Common practice is to announce a SUSPECT HAS BEEN ARRESTED for questioning DURING ONGOING INVESTIGATIONS, you do not relase their names UNTIL you determine that actual charges can be filed since once they are filed with the clerk that is public record. The fact that this bumbling LE force in MO is releasing peoples names to the media and saying they are FACING RAPE CHARGED before they even know if they can charge them is UNETHTICAL LE PRACTICE and is designed for one purpose only, to make the case look bigger than it is, draw more attention to it as a large scale operation so that more allegations will be made by more victims.

Where are you getting the information that what we're hearing about the arrests are "leaks"? I'm not trying to be snarky - so please understand I'm trying to understand. Are the 'leaks' "facts" or "supposition" or "opinion" ?

Just trying to keep this all straight. TIA.

ETA: straight in my own head. ;)

Unethical or illegal ?
I think they had something on him, just not enough to charge him. Yet.

I am curious though, can you provide some links to statutes that show arrest records can't be released unless a person is charged ?

They can be released but most LE depts will not release the names of SUSPECTS until they determine charges can be filed because once they release that name to the media and if they cant file charges the dept could be liable to civil defamation lawsuits. I am not saying it is illegal I am saying it is NOT standard and accepted practice and it is something that REALLY pisses off those in the criminal defense attorney practice.

ok you are doing that deliberately! prepare to be banned! AND STOP posting, until you get it figured out!!!!

Where are you getting the information that what we're hearing about the arrests are "leaks"? I'm not trying to be snarky - so please understand I'm trying to understand. Are the 'leaks' "facts" or "supposition" or "opinion" ?

Just trying to keep this all straight. TIA.

ETA: straight in my own head. ;)

Its an ongoing investigation, standard practice is to announce a SUSPECT has been arrested and is being questioned, if they can be charged then LE can annouce the arrest and that charges are being files. Why in the world would you want to realese the names of every person you arrest and bring in for questioning in a child sex crime case before you even know if you can file charges. Just being associated with this case probably stained Kidds name forever and now we see no charges could even be filed because he likely had a smart lawyer and kept his mouth shut and let the lawyer put LE in their place. If the cops walk in and arrest you NOBODY knows that until they tell the media so it had to be a leak.

Watch other cases and LE will say SUSPECT HAS BEEN ARRESTED since this is an ongoing investigation we CANNOT COMMENT FURTHER, if charges are filed we will hold a press conference to announce that at the time. That is standard and ethical police practice. But in a child sex crimes case they WANT LOTS OF MEDIA attention so more victims will come forward, and I can understand that BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE of a possible innocent mans reputation!

please don't be mean. i cannot stop posting it. my computer is all jacked off. i think i may have a virus or something another :( my WS days are over though :(

Weird how It didn't post it then! You seem to have selective posting! STOP POSTING until you figure it out! Its common sense! Go run your virus cleaners! And stop whining that your ws days are over! FIX THE FREAKING problem!!!!! And maybe just maybe you won't get banned!! But the way you are continuing, it is like you are doing it deliberately!! You keep posting it!!! Your hitting the missing person cases! How sick can you be??????? STOP POSTING!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288