Match! MO - St Louis Co., WhtFem UP5294, 31-35, below scenic lookout, Aug'90 *Cynthia Day*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by chaddylex, Dec 30, 2009.

1. pass-thru

pass-thru Member

Years ago I saw a case on Forensic Files where they were able to positively identify a crime victim from a murder that happened decades earlier, despite lack of DNA and dentals. There was strong circumstantial evidence in the case, but they need more to make an ID. So, they obtained a photo that had been taken of the victim face forward when she was alive. A forensic anthropologist then took a photo of the skull from the same angle and distance, and was then able to superimpose the skull over the living photo and demonstrate that all of the facial features lined up precisely, which was used as the basis for positive ID.

If the skull is still available, could that not also be done for this case?

2. the_missing

the_missing Member

That's potentially a good idea. I remember something like that being done for a body found in Florida, who from memory turned out to be one of Christopher Wilder's victims (I remember seeing an animated gif of the skull fading into the photo, or maybe vice-versa).

3. the_missing

the_missing Member

4. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Well-Known Member

They are still waiting to find out if this is Cynthia Day.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/cold-case-spotlight/cynthia-louise-day-s-daughters-convinced-her-remains-have-been-n525951

5. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Well-Known Member

Remains identified. RIP Cynthia

http://khqa.com/news/local/body-found-in-pike-county-missouri-identified-after-26-years

6. Otterly

Otterly Well-Known Member

7. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Chaddylex has been working with Cynthia's family, and following up with authorities for nearly seven years, and has been told all along that there is no way to get a positive ID because they are unable to get DNA from the bones. (The bones were boiled, and all the DNA was destroyed).

Even when they said it was a rule-out on dentals because the missing front tooth was lost postmortem, not antemortem (as Cynthia's was), Chaddylex didn't buy it and kept plugging along

So no matter what the official story is, this is Chaddylex's solve.

Congrats Chaddylex

vermontaigne likes this.
  8. luvhockey

luvhockey Well-Known Member

Wow, you've had this since day one of the thread. Awesome

9. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

WTG, Chaddy! I was just thinking about this case within the last week or so. I am so glad fingerprints were found. Thank you for never giving up for thus family.

Sleep peacefully Cynthia, you're finally home. :rose:

10. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

Great job! Congrats! I'm sure words can't describe your feeling right now

I'm so sorry her family had to wait so long but am thankful you didn't give up on them! Much prayers to her family.

Does anyone know where the print came from?

So psyched another Doe can go home to her family. They've waited much too long.

11. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Woohoo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Jake479

Jake479 Well-Known Member

RIP Cynthia Louise Day

13. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

Nice Chaddy! WTG! :)

14. chaddylex

chaddylex Verified Insider

Thanks Carl and everyone else!

As I told Carl on Monday, I was notified by Cynthia's family that she was finally identified by a thumbprint that the Missouri Highway Patrol had all along. I can't believe it took this long. I turned this possible match in in late December 2009, thinking it would be an easy match. The poor family has been trying since then to get a positive ID.

I didn't post on here that Cynthia was positively identified out of respect for the family. (I wanted them to let everyone know first) I am so glad that the family has closure and they can bring her home.

CanadianGen likes this.
  15. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

16. wintermute

wintermute Member

Chaddylex, your perseverance through the years is so admirable and awe inspiring. Thank you for continuing to pursue this match and helping Cynthia's family.

17. Roselvr

I can't imagine how you feel. Great job staying on it until something could be done!
    I'm so thankful the print just happened to pop up to allow her daughters the next phase to process that the Jane is proven to be their mother and that she was in fact murdered.

I don't doubt there are more. My first entry into NamUs Tracie Vicent should also have prints as well as arrest photos. So should another case I help with Lori Richardson missing out of NC.

Comment by Todd Matthews of NamUs in the article you linked to -

Todd Matthews · Director, Communications and Case Management - NamUs.gov at UNT Health Science Center
    This is why it is important that fingerprint cards from the missing and unidentified are actually uploaded into www.NamUs.gov --- NOT just an indication of whether or not a print exists - but actually uploading the cards into the system. Like · Reply · 2 · Sep 14, 2016 11:50am

18. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Roselvr, What would you say is the best way to get print cards/actual prints entered into NamUs?

19. chaddylex

chaddylex Verified Insider

Thank you. I wish I could have done more for them.

20. Roselvr

Just woke up. I usually tell the NamUs contact they should exist. The NamUs rep will reach out to LE trying to get the arrest records, some have them, some don't.