MO - St. Louis County - Man enters store, commits sexual assault & murder, 19 November 2018 *Arrest*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by JimmyPerez, Nov 20, 2018.

1. inmyhumbleopinion

inmyhumbleopinion #NeverGivingUp

It does appear that the judge has ruled on the motion, but from the information available on Case.net, I cannot tell what the ruling was. I also haven’t been able to find any MSM reports on it.

B4993302-30B3-4D01-8899-B9348360488C.jpeg

I hate to bother you, @JimmyPerez, but would you happen to have any insight into the matter?

2. JimmyPerez

JimmyPerez Verified Attorney

Never a bother. Order is attached.

Judge denied TB's motion stating no evidence of anything yet that would potentially prejudice TB that could not be handled via normal means of questioning jurors before they are selected to serve on the jury.

Leaves open the option (as he should) to reconsider depending on what public statements/info come out as the case progresses.

Attached Files:

bluenoser, Betty P, Bethan and 19 others like this.
  3. inmyhumbleopinion

Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated!

4. inmyhumbleopinion

Has it been confirmed that LE recovered the gun used in the murder?

5. Brubon

Brubon Well-Known Member

So it is now 2019 and I am wondering if Indiana LE has visited Missouri to check out TB....to see if he could possibly be BG.
    Anyone in MO know if that visit has happened?
    Rest in peace Abby and Libby.

6. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

I don’t think it is publicly known yet. I hope we get some kind of update however limited around the two year anniversary next month.

7. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Business card led to arrest of store attack suspect

Bruce, a 53-year-old married former pastor from Imperial, was arrested two days after the terrifying Nov. 19 attack at a Catholic Supply store in Ballwin, another St. Louis suburb about 20 miles northwest of Imperial. He is jailed without bond on multiple charges, including first-degree murder, sodomy and kidnapping. Calls from The Associated Press to his lawyer, Brice Donnelly, rang unanswered on Thursday.

According to prosecutors, Bruce entered the store posing as a customer before leaving briefly and returning with a handgun, which he used to usher the three women inside into a back room. He ordered them to strip and to perform sexual acts on him. Prosecutors say a 53-year-old customer and mother of three, Jamie Schmidt, refused, so he shot her in the head. Bruce fled after sexually assaulting the other two women and managed to blend in along the busy street outside.

FromGermany, Hraefn, colette and 6 others like this.
  8. wdmcmahan

wdmcmahan Well-Known Member

I wonder how he acted in those 2 days before he was caught. Did his family notice him acting differently? If so, had he acted similarly in the past? When?

9. minazoe

minazoe Well-Known Member

very good question. hope he knows he will be executed for his crimes in the state of MO for his crimes.

Penny Parker, Brubon, gitana1 and 4 others like this.
  10. Medstudies

Medstudies Well-Known Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox2no...k-death-penalty-in-catholic-store-attack/amp/

“St. Louis County prosecutor Wesley Bell says he won’t seek the death penalty for a man accused of killing a woman and sexually assaulting two others inside a religious supplies store.

Bell said Friday in a statement to The Associated Press that he will seek life in prison without the possibility of parole for Thomas Bruce.”...

11. heartgoesout

heartgoesout Well-Known Member

Wow. I don't want to debate the death penalty but wow.

12. Medstudies

That was my thought.

From another article:
    “Bell expressed his opposition to the death penalty while campaigning last year, when he unseated 28-year incumbent Bob McCulloch.

James G’Sell, a deacon at Schmidt’s church speaking on behalf of her family, says Schmidt’s husband supports Bell’s decision.”

(Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox2no...k-death-penalty-in-catholic-store-attack/amp/ )

Hraefn, watcher9 and heartgoesout like this.
  13. JimmyPerez

It's no surprise to locals. Bell ran on never seeking the death penalty as one of his main campaign planks (along with stopping prosecution of low-level non-violent offenses and not requiring cash bail for non-violent offenses). He absolutely crushed the almost 30 year incumbent in the democratic primary (56.4% to 43.5%) and no republican candidate even bothered to run against him in the general election.

14. Medstudies

Thanks! That was obviously an important campaign issue, and it’s refreshing to see the walk matching the talk. The fact that Mr. S is onboard, makes it easier for me to accept.

Funny thing, I doubt TB appreciates the fact that a Catholic is giving him a little undeserved grace.

Brubon and watcher9 like this.
  15. minazoe

minazoe Well-Known Member

It may be the wish of the victims, Catholic's are 100% anti death penalty.. mOO

jjevans, Medstudies and heartgoesout like this.
  16. heartgoesout

heartgoesout Well-Known Member

I'm Catholic and would fry his butt if he did this to my family member or if I was on a jury. But I'm getting off topic.

silversurvivor, BIC, Brubon and 7 others like this.
  17. JimmyPerez

18. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

So it appears the modus operandi of this despicable *** involves a crime of opportunity in broad daylight using impersonation to gain trust. Doesn’t that mirror many of the Delphi theories here? I think this victim owes her life to her cellphone ringing.

From your link:
    “The woman told police she was walking from her car to her home near Hillsboro between 4 and 4:30 p.m. on Sept. 27 when she saw a red car drive slowly by. Moments later, Bruce knocked on her door, according to court documents. He claimed he was with AMVETS, a service organization for veterans, and wanted to ask her a few questions and was willing to pay her......

......Once inside, Bruce sexually abused the woman and demanded she perform a sex act, according to the charges. As he dragged her into a bedroom, her house phone rang, according to the charges. The victim told Bruce her husband was calling because he was on his way home. Bruce told her he would kill him when he got home. Then he put the victim in a bedroom and demanded she stay there, according to the court documents. He left, taking her cellphone.”

19. Medstudies

I agree, it sounds similar to the Delphi killings. If only “the KnowYourDrive (gps tracker installed by his employer, AFI) could give data putting him in Delphi 2/14/2017.

As for this case, I’m so glad the victim survived and that her husband did not walk into a death trap.

20. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

And hopefully it’s helpful for this victim to know her attacker has been arrested. How unbelievably brazen, that he’d randomly target someone to attack because he saw her innocently walking from her car to her house. The ultimate lowest of low, the opportunist predator imo, and the most difficult for LE to nail down.