Found Deceased MO - Toni Anderson, 20, North Kansas City, 15 Jan 2017 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Family members believe Anderson got turned around and frazzled after being pulled over by an officer and ended up in Parkville where she pulled into Platte Landing Park. There, she drove onto a boat launch that was icy and her car slid into the river."

That would have been a long way to go west on 9 without realizing she was lost, and a very odd choice to leave 9 and drive all the way through a small town with narrow streets into a secluded park. Someone did suggest that perhaps she may have just decided to head south toward the lights (i.e., city, home) on whatever road she could find when she realized she was heading the wrong way on 9. I've definitely used the location of city lights to orient myself at night if I've ended up on a mystery road. But if you "drive" Main in Parkville in Google Street View, it seems like the mistake would have been clear LONG before reaching the actual park. Why wouldn't she have just done a quick turn-around right in Parkville and headed back where she had come from on 9?

I think the information in this case has made the whole thing really muddled, but I see a lot of the contradictions stemming from the media rather than the police department. They seem to sometimes report people's opinions as fact.

I know there's been a couple apparent mix-ups with police.

Police didn't believe she'd been pulled over initially because their department didn't pull her over. It was a neighboring city. To me, that's not suspicious.

I also think the officer answering press questions estimated the timeline, but later they updated it when they got exact information about her banking records. I can live with that too.

I *do* think they should release that dash cam footage to help people understand the context and clear public perceptions around the officer involved.

I agree the dashcam would help. I do find it odd though they never released the name of the officer that pulled her over and it was another officer stating the information regarding the stop. Also that scanner for that night in those hours have been scrubbed and no longer exist . This was on the second day before major
Media hype. It's not normal protocol for LE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also like to hear if divers broke any windows out or forced the trunk open...or if those were related to the way the car entered the water.

The windows could be broken when the car crashed into the water, or Toni could open the side window in an attempt to escape from the car

I think the information in this case has made the whole thing really muddled, but I see a lot of the contradictions stemming from the media rather than the police department. They seem to sometimes report people's opinions as fact.

I know there's been a couple apparent mix-ups with police.

Police didn't believe she'd been pulled over initially because their department didn't pull her over. It was a neighboring city. To me, that's not suspicious.

I also think the officer answering press questions estimated the timeline, but later they updated it when they got exact information about her banking records. I can live with that too.

I *do* think they should release that dash cam footage to help people understand the context and clear public perceptions around the officer involved.

Absolutely. I'm just saying, the more things that can be seen as suspicious, the more it looks suspicious as a whole.

Saying that she wasn't pulled over, then she was. then saying she was pulled over at 4:40, then it's 4:25 -- It's more suspicious because it's a trend!

But suspicion gets dispelled by simply explaining in a concrete way. I understand that even the investigation might have required that they keep certain things secret.

But I think it's odd when people say "there's nothing suspicious". It's obviously in need of explanation. So when they give that, hopefully it explains everything.

Hi guys. This is my first post ever on any of these forums, so bear with me as I try to be cordial about all of this. I'm not out here to attack anyone personally or put myself out as an expert, but that being said, here's some thoughts on all of this.

According to her mom she was Avery strong swimmer...she had her seat belt off and her window open....those are the two hardest parts...imo she was passed out from drugs or something otherwise this makes zero sense.

The water temperature in the Missouri River right now is likely in the upper 30s to lower 40s. The coldest I've ever felt was 52 degrees in the Pacific near Monterey, CA, and I was barely able to wade into it for more than a few minutes before I had to get out or risk losing feeling in my toes. Imagine the sheer amount of shock your central nervous system would have to endure in water that's barely at 35 degrees. At that temperature, it would literally only take 3 to 4 minutes, at the most, for hypothermia to set in. If she's impaired by a foreign substance that affects cardiovascular output, it could take even less time.

I live in a very lake-saturated area. There is water all around us and there are unfortunately accidents on the water as well. Law enforcement stress that it is incredibly difficult to get out of a submerging car even for an experienced swimmer.

You can see an enactment of what happens at the video linked here. Someone has to react quickly and in the right sequence. If they don't move quickly enough, inhale water, or are otherwise impaired, they may lack the strength to push against the water.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/car-sinking-water-seconds-react-18810014

This is quite accurate. It only takes 6 inches of moving water to move a vehicle off of a roadway (which is why public safety is always telling people not to drive over roadways submerged in water). If the ramp is slick (condensation can, and does often freeze in the winter, making roads and hard surfaces icy), it has a steep enough incline to induce motion on a vehicle, even with the brakes applied, and once it hits the water, it's game over.

The vehicle in the video is an older model that most likely has more metal and is heavier than newer vehicles, would it sink faster than a car like Toni's?

The curb weight of a 2015 Ford Focus is 2,935 to 3,055 lbs. You do the math on that one.

A poster on Reddit had a plausible scenario that made sense to me. There is a power plant across the river that can look like "downtown with tall lit-up buildings" to someone kind of distracted who doesn't know the area. If she was lost and frazzled, she may have thought she was heading for "downtown" and been just aiming her car at what looked like tall, lit buildings rather than trying to figure out north, south, east, and west. That person also said maybe with it being icy, it was hard to see the lights reflected in the water and she didn't see the river--was just thinking "I will point the car to tall building with several stories and lights on" because that looked like "Downtown."

This to me is the most plausible and likely scenario. She's disoriented in an area that is essentially dark, and finding landmarks at night in that area, amidst all the trees and hills is practically impossible.

There are roughly 3 times more suicides per year than homicides. Why is homicide so easy to believe but not suicide?

I'm not sure myself, really. And I don't think it's impossible. We won't know if she was on anything until toxicology reports come back (and who knows how long that'll take in Missouri; the average wait in Kansas is several months, but our state is also broke beyond comprehension, so there's that), and if she had underlying psychiatric problems, the compounds she'd taken could've amplified those. And people make snap decisions all the time (e.g. everyone has made an impulse purchase at one point or another), so while I don't think that's as likely, I don't think it's unlikely or impossible either. It's a valid theory.

I'd also like to hear if divers broke any windows out or forced the trunk open...or if those were related to the way the car entered the water.

I would wager that most of the windows that were broken out upon recovery were broken when the vehicle was turned over as the current carried it downstream. It's worth noting that they pulled the vehicle out of the river nearly 600 feet downstream from the ramp itself, which would allow for it to turn over multiple times over two months. It's also worth noting that they acknowledged that the vehicle sustained some damage during the recovery process and windows likely were broken as a result (the bank is covered in large stones...).

As far as the trunk goes, that's anybody's guess, really. My gut says it was probably already open when the vehicle went into the water, but that begs the question of why it was open, and the most likely scenario is that the latch failed, or distortions to the vehicle body in the process of overturning in the water forced it open.

If she was pulled over often and police let her go with a warning ... well that does not justify she was frazzled, got turned around and slid into a lake. It sounds like she knew the metro area well so can't see her "getting lost"

I feel like I know the metro area "well", despite only having lived in it for 6 years. I live in Johnson County, and know parts of it like the back of my hand, but those "parts" only account for about 1% of all the county itself. It's not impossible for people to get lost in their own metro area, especially if they don't traverse every single part of it on a routine basis. I mean, seriously, how well do you know every single part of your home county? I lived in a county in western Kansas that has only ~45,000 people in it for 20+ years, and I'm still finding new things about it that were always there every time I go back. Just because you can't believe that someone could (and would) get lost in their home territory doesn't make it impossible or even implausible.

"The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Occam's Razor is the standard upon which investigations are built. It's not foolproof, nor is it 100% accurate, but it's the most reliable method, and thus far has the best track record.

That would have been a long way to go west on 9 without realizing she was lost, and a very odd choice to leave 9 and drive all the way through a small town with narrow streets into a secluded park. Someone did suggest that perhaps she may have just decided to head south toward the lights (i.e., city, home) on whatever road she could find when she realized she was heading the wrong way on 9. I've definitely used the location of city lights to orient myself at night if I've ended up on a mystery road. But if you "drive" Main in Parkville in Google Street View, it seems like the mistake would have been clear LONG before reaching the actual park. Why wouldn't she have just done a quick turn-around right in Parkville and headed back where she had come from on 9?

I tend to think that she went to the park or a nearby location for a specific, purposeful reason that we aren't aware of. But that she got disoriented and made a wrong turn from there that landed her in the water.

I live in a very lake-saturated area. There is water all around us and there are unfortunately accidents on the water as well. Law enforcement stress that it is incredibly difficult to get out of a submerging car even for an experienced swimmer.

You can see an enactment of what happens at the video linked here. Someone has to react quickly and in the right sequence. If they don't move quickly enough, inhale water, or are otherwise impaired, they may lack the strength to push against the water.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/car-sinking-water-seconds-react-18810014

Thanks, very good info.

I tend to think that she went to the park or a nearby location for a specific, purposeful reason that we aren't aware of. But that she got disoriented and made a wrong turn from there that landed her in the water.

I agree, and from the beginning I thought water would be involved if her car wasn't found soon. In a way, I'm reminded of the young woman who went down a boat ramp and drowned in Tampa a couple years back. Her case was a dui, but still odd. I think a lot of times,we never really will know all the details.

I agree with these questions. I asked "How does he/she know?" after most of the statements given by both her dad and mom last night. Hoping there will be a press conference today that fills in the blanks.

Was Toni known for getting lost/disoriented while driving? (I am. My family knows this.)
Do they have additional information from a cell phone or other materials that were recovered?
Were there trail cams or other cameras installed at the park?
Have they now discovered footage of her on other business cameras in between QT and this park location?
Did they discover a path of entry with tire marks or other car-related evidence that suggests where she went in?
I think Toni had mentioned getting lost on her twitter

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

yup

Yup. That definitely seems most likely. It would also explain why she was north of the city in the first place that night/morning. At first I thought her parents and LE knew that the park was her destination and why, but now some of the quotes are making me think her parents believe she ended up in that park (and finally the river) randomly after a series of flustered wrong turns after leaving the QT. Will we get more details, and will those details make sense?

First time poster :)

Looks like Toni's car was not upside down at the bottom of the river.
A couple quotes from Team Watters Sonar:

"I'm gonna say about half to two-thirds of the car was already under sand,” said Watters. "We could see that the sand was already up over the front bumper and encroaching on the hood."

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/man-who-found-toni-andersons-car-explains-how-it-could-have-been-missed

Watters also said Anderson's car was found upright underwater.

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/suv-pulled-out-of-missouri-river-kcpd-says-its-not-connected-to-any-investigation

I think the road you are saying leads almost into the boat ramp is *not* a road. Several people in the last thread stated it is a walking trail - the road that leads into the park is the Main St you see (which is wider to accommodate cars).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Please take another look.
The first image is the aerial view. The road is right next to the parking lot.
This is the road, which is the only thing one can actually go to on Google Street View.

If you click on any one of the links, and then explore in Google maps, you can see more.

I don't see any street lights in this park (I could be wrong). It's my understanding that Toni was also known to drive fast. If she was driving even a little too fast for conditions, it's easy for me to see how she could have made that curve and ended up in the river.

Aerial view:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1824394,-94.6947708,257m/data=!3m1!1e3

attachment.php

This is the street that leads to the boat ramp (at the curve on the left).
Note: there is no warning that the street is about to end and the curve leads to a boat ramp.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/K...aa51a2!8m2!3d39.0997265!4d-94.5785667!6m1!1e1

attachment.php

The view from near the bottom of the ramp, looking up:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/K...8525e66aaa51a2!8m2!3d39.0997265!4d-94.5785667

attachment.php

(I posted my theory with these maps earlier)
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?331703-MO-Toni-Anderson-20-North-Kansas-City-15-Jan-2017-5&p=13223083#post13223083

Please take another look.
The first image is the aerial view. The road is right next to the parking lot.
This is the road, which is the only thing one can actually go to on Google Street View.

If you click on any one of the links, and then explore in Google maps, you can see more.

I don't see any street lights in this park (I could be wrong). It's my understanding that Toni was also known to drive fast. If she was driving even a little too fast for conditions, it's easy for me to see how she could have made that curve and ended up in the river.

It's not that hard to believe when I look at this. I think 20 year old me would've been more prone to make this sort of driving error.

Add in that it's night, it's possibly icy in places, she's tired from being up all evening...and it's not a stretch to see how an accident could happen. Still, I'm hoping they're going to release more info today so we can know what other evidence from the scene confirms or contradicts this.

I don't think my brain can take much more. So, her vehicle was found upright but there is obvious damage on the roof of the passenger side which leads me to believe the vehicle tumbled due to the current, right? We are also told there was no sign of trauma on Toni's body which I am now assuming they mean antemortem trauma because surely there would be some damage to Toni's body postmortem. (I am sorry if this is too graphic for some, I am trying to be sensitive.)

This, 1000 times. IMO she was there for a reason. Not flustered and lost. Maybe parents just don't want to face the reason, or maybe they don't want to discuss it publicly bc it's unflattering to Toni.

According to The real reason post #959 last thread #5 - link:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...son-20-North-Kansas-City-15-Jan-2017-5/page10

3rd Paragraph down:

Investigation led detectives to believe she traveled west on the 9 highway corridor a.d remained between highways 635 and 435 until 6am on the 15th at which time her phone went dark. The report that her phone was connected to the network until 9pm on the 16th was inaccurate and did not come from law enforcement. Cell phone records proved the 6am dark time to be accurate.

I noticed some people still asking about the phone being connected to the network at 9:30pm - I "guess" it was inaccurate; it did come from her parents as I recall.

Niner, thanks for retrieving this person's first-ever post from the previous thread. In it, he speaks rather authoritatively, as though being privy to inside information. Yet, at the end of the post, he says some of his statements are based on hearsay and personal observations. (!) There have been many links to different sources to support the contention that Toni's phone was indeed connected to T-Mobile until 9:30pm, regardless of what "The Real Reason" claims in his post - without any source to back it up. Additionally, he claims as fact that " video from the businesses along 9 highway show no one was behind her or following her." Oh? Where has it been confirmed that there were multiple surveillance cams along the 9 highway that captured images of Toni? No one else here has mentioned their existence, much less seeing and evaluating them. Lastly, he states, "The police dashcam shows the officer and his backup officer remained in the area after the traffic stop for a while and then went on working, etc." Since the dashcam video hasn't been released, how does he know what it shows? And it certainly doesn't jibe anyway with Sgt. Caldwell's statement that the officer and Toni went in separate directions at the light after leaving QT.

This, 1000 times. IMO she was there for a reason. Not flustered and lost. Maybe parents just don't want to face the reason, or maybe they don't want to discuss it publicly bc it's unflattering to Toni.

I think my heart would tell me one thing and my brain another and in order to survive, I would have to listen to my heart.

@StPauliGirlK - THIS! She was at the very end of a secluded park, only reached by traveling a long distance down what is clearly NOT a main road/highway/neighborhood. The city lights theory seems to totally discount the fact that she could not have been 'lost' off the 9, ending up at the dead end of the park by accident. That's too far-fetched for me to believe. Was she disoriented once in the park and possibly high? That, I can understand. But not to the point where I think she u-turned into the boat ramp.

Think I'm walking away from this case as I'm big on being respectful and while WS is, I have a hard time staying away from social media when looking at cases.

I want to give 2 (conflicting ha) parting thoughts - I appreciate the map showing how a uturn could very well have ended in error. I'm reminded how many times I, myself, pointed out that Toni seems to be an ill fated driver.

As for sliding down: I'm a Texas gal through and through but spent (the longest ever) winter in the northern states. I very naively drove my truck up an icy driveway on a hill - or attempted to anyhow. When sliding back, I personally had quite the adrenaline rush having never expected to be out of control of my vehicle in this way. I must say when picturing this scenario for Toni I do find it a little odd that she'd have a bruise on her knee from "hitting the gps tracker when getting in her car" at the gas station but nothing else. That bothers me, but we don't know how someone's fight or flight moments play out.

Anyhow, rest in peace, Toni. I hope her loved ones can find some peace as well. With Toni's death, with themselves, and with each other.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member