More passengers showing up at airports with guns

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Jul 3, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

More air passengers show up with guns. (AP/azcentral.com)
    much more at the link

2. Loading...

3. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

Yeah, and shoot through a window and hit an innocent passer-by.

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

I'm a bit curious as the city's just up the road about this "Joplin airport, 3.8 guns per 100,000" thing. Who's good at math? It's old info now but Wiki lists Joplin - a small regional airport - as having emplaned, in 2010, all of 4,078 passengers. Volume may be slightly higher now but not so much. How many guns would Joplin need to get a "3.8" figure for last year?

ETA:
    Well, wait, I could be wrong ("it happens"). Now it appears Joplin Regional is a bustling hive of activity:
    So that would be possibly 26,000 to 27,000 boarding.

5. Donjeta

http://kfjx.membercenter.worldnow.c...irport-sees-big-increase-in-passenger-traffic

53 000 is 53 % of 100 000. 53 % of 3,8 is about two.
    Edit: these figures were for both outbound and inbound passengers. Are the gun statistics "100 000" for only those passengers who are boarding from the airport or the whole volume of the traffic, inbound and outbound?

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

7. Donjeta

It might be that one person brought two guns or else the number of guns is 1 because only the outbound passengers should be counted.

8. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

I'm still boggled by the apparent 600% increase in traffic. Sounds like books have been cooked - although, post-tornado, an awful lot of business people, construction, builders, those sorts of folks were probably making use of the airport. They've done great work there I know - new control tower, that new (to them) airline, nifty internet site. Wow, I remember long ago, having to pick up my aunt there when she flew in from Texas in a tiny airplane that seemed more suited to crop-dusting. If it held over twelve I don't know where they put them all.

9. Donjeta

Dunno, I never set foot in the place but the history on the airport site says there used to be over 66,000 passengers in the seventies.
    http://www.joplinmo.org/index.aspx?nid=694

10. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

I am guessing the VAST majority are permit holders who simply messed up and forgot. The states with the most incidents in that report are TX, GA, and FL. All three of those have the highest number of permit holders (by volume), TX and GA have about half a million each and FL has 1 million.

States like CA only have 35k.

I personally have had nightmares about boarding a plane and then realizing I had a firearm with me. I wonder how many people actually HAVE done that and of course never said anything afterwards! You can easily declare your weapon and fly it along with you in checked baggage.

11. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Interesting. Had no idea. Fetching the aunt was in the early '70s. Plane usually arrived just before dusk and there'd be, maybe, two people deplaning from her flight (which went from Corpus to Dallas to Tulsa to Joplin). Airport itself was sort of a twilit place with very few people milling around waiting for flights.

12. Donjeta

66,000 people per year is about 180 per day - 90 incoming, 90 outgoing?
    7,800 people per year is about 21 per day -11 leaving and 10 returning or so.

Either way it's just a small number of small planes each day.

13. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Has anyone seen the full TSA list? It may be right in front of my nose but this epic bout of insomnia is prohibiting me from finding it. In the Top 12 I see only one airport I've flown into and out of a lot - Love in Dallas. Was wondering where Tulsa and Kansas City ranked. And San Antonio.