Votes: 126 44.8%
  • Babysitter 1976-77

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Original Night Stalker 1979-85

Votes: 63 22.4%
  • Another please explain

Votes: 21 7.5%

• Total voters
Without a doubt. The Original Night Stalker is the case that boggles my mind. It is a case where I could lose sleep thinking about it at night.
The original night stalker aka started out as serial burglar, who then graduated to serial rapist. 50+ rapes alone in Sacramento and has never been caught!?

He graduated on and started to invade homes in Irvine and Goleta. Where couples lived, he would tie up the man and proceed to rape the wife. He would then bash their heads in. This animal was so brazen he would bring a bicycle to escape the crime scene! He even brought a dog to one crime scene. He would often stay in the house for hours (after the raping) eating the food in the refrigerator while the couples are tied up.

So many victims and law enforcement 40 years later have not caught him. What strikes me the most about this killer is how cool, brazen and calculating he was. His MO, how he tied up his victims (Diamond Knot) how he was able to escape law enforcement twice!

You all should read a book called Sudden Terror. It is a great recollection of this Monster's crimes. The thing that bothers me the most about this guy was how calculating he was and how he waited 5 years to commit his last murder (in 1986).

I have no doubt this monster still lives amongst us. He is in his late 50's early 60's laughing and living a normal life. This monster must be caught!

I hope familial DNA will be the Key to catching him. I wish all the DNA Databases are combined state, federal and international.

I think a lot of these cases are going to be solved in the future by all the younger people who are putting their DNA on places like ancestry.com.

If the police send in a sample of old DNA they may get a hit on some killers distant relative and at least get a start in the right direction to look.

Or simply from a distant relative getting arrest and having their DNA taken and put into a database.

I've often wondered how often after someone has died that a family member has gone into that trunk or box that grandpa always kept locked and hidden and found souvenirs?

What if that trunk contained the medieval costume, the rest of Paul Stine's shirt, practice letters with the codes. Or things from the Black Dahlia's purse.

Do you say something?

What if grandma suffering from Alzheimer suddenly starts talking about how she killed that first husband everyone thought had ran off.

I don't know what I would do, I think it would depend on the person. I think most serial killers are tyrannical with their family, such as Dr. Hodel, so his son didn't have any problem with coming forward with his theory his dad killed the Black Dahlia, but some, such as the "Happy Face Killer" was a great father.

I think with really old cases we may have to rely on family members who find something and go to the police.

This is really close to my only real "theory" regarding the Zodiac. Although I don't know who he was, I am pretty convinced he was not any of the known suspects. I believe he was far more similar to Gary Ridgeway or Dennis Rader in that I think he was married, may well have had children and lived a pretty normal life when not committing brutal murders.

I believe he is dead and that he absolutely left souveniers. Most likely the remaining pieces of the shirt and probably other little momentos. I cannot believe that he did not want it known who he was, but the faimly almost certainly did not.

We will almost certainly never know, but for me the logic is that Zodiac would have wanted his identity known in the end. If he died single and without family, then the "evidence" would have been discoverd by now by LE, medical workers, landlords or whoever would have cleared out his home. The fact that the evidence never surfaced indicates to me that someone hid it.

Zodiac is the only one where we get a new suspect every couple of months.

Just speaking about 20th century sks

IMO the ONS is the most fascinating and smartest serial killer to date, he got away with 50+ rapes, 10 murders and who knows how many burglaries. He even called a victim in 1991.

IMO the ONS is the most fascinating and smartest serial killer to date, he got away with 50+ rapes, 10 murders and who knows how many burglaries. He even called a victim in 1991.

I still think we got the police to blame.

I still think we got the police to blame.

I'm not sure we can blame the police.

These were before DNA and I believe there were multiple counties involved.

They didn't have computer data bases at the time to easily locate the similar crimes - although they did match up some of them because of the similarity.

The last murder was in 1986 and they weren't able to match the DNA until 1996.

They were able to eliminate suspects, which makes me believe the killer isn't in the database, and if you can't find someone with matching DNA - I don't see how the police could have done anything better ten years before, when all they may have had was some dog hairs and fingerprints - which must not match anyone either.

I think this is also a case where it may be solved by a member of the killer's family getting arrested and their DNA will get a hit.

I'm not sure we can blame the police.

These were before DNA and I believe there were multiple counties involved.

They didn't have computer data bases at the time to easily locate the similar crimes - although they did match up some of them because of the similarity.

The last murder was in 1986 and they weren't able to match the DNA until 1996.

They were able to eliminate suspects, which makes me believe the killer isn't in the database, and if you can't find someone with matching DNA - I don't see how the police could have done anything better ten years before, when all they may have had was some dog hairs and fingerprints - which must not match anyone either.

I think this is also a case where it may be solved by a member of the killer's family getting arrested and their DNA will get a hit.

1. They didn't test most of the suspects' DNA, only a few major ones.

2. 50 homes invasions in a few areas, the police should have captured him.

Had a great hourlong conversation yesterday (2/27/15) with the FBI Agent in charge of my sister Cathy Thomas and her friend Rebecca Dowski's murder as part of the Colonial Parkway Murders. They are also responsible for investigating the disappearance of Keith Call and Cassandra Hailey, which occurred on the Colonial Parkway near Williamsburg, VA. They are still actively checking out leads and submitting evidence to the FBI crime lab in Quantico, VA as new tests are approved and come on line, interviewing suspects, and conducting searches.

Hope springs eternal.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

I going with the person in AC who murders women and has not been caught yet but leaves clues.

Had a great hourlong conversation yesterday (2/27/15) with the FBI Agent in charge of my sister Cathy Thomas and her friend Rebecca Dowski's murder as part of the Colonial Parkway Murders. They are also responsible for investigating the disappearance of Keith Call and Cassandra Hailey, which occurred on the Colonial Parkway near Williamsburg, VA. They are still actively checking out leads and submitting evidence to the FBI crime lab in Quantico, VA as new tests are approved and come on line, interviewing suspects, and conducting searches.

Hope springs eternal.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

Is this case discussed on WS? I'm not familiar with it, but will try to learn more about your sister and her friend. Thanks for updating us and I hope the investigators are able to find some answers.
Edit to add: Here is the the WS discussion
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85425

I don't think this is the most fascinating serial killer case, but I would love to know more about Israel Keys and his possible crimes.
There are really a lot of unsolved cases and missing people that might be serial killer victims but who have not been classified as such. I don't know who the most fascinating killer is. I am going to read through the thread and see who has been discussed.

Cincinnati is the oldest and somewhat obscure so it is in last place as I would expect.

Essentially it's down to Zodiac vs. non-Zodiac

The majority had at least one claimed survivor.

The majority had at least one claimed survivor.

The 4 who have no suspected survivor are all below 5%. I wonder if having a survivor somehow generates interest in a case.

I believe at least two of the cases have their own websites.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347
Back