Most Intriguing Classic Unsolved Single Murder Poll

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by STANDREID, Jun 16, 2011.

?

What classic unsolved single murder are you most intrigued by?

1. Rose Harsent 1902

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. Caroline Luard 1908

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  3. George Storrs 1909

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  4. William Taylor 1922

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Margery Wren 1930

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. Julia Wallace 1931

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Evelyn Foster 1931

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. Hubert Chevis 1931

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  9. Lord Errol 1941

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Harry Oakes 1943

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  11. Elizabeth Short 1947

87 vote(s)
    47.3%
  12. Shirley Collins 1953

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. Marilyn Sheppard 1954

14 vote(s)
    7.6%
  14. Valery Percy 1966

20 vote(s)
    10.9%
  15. Another Please Explain

39 vote(s)
    21.2%
  1. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

The majority of these have inspired some type of movie/TV screen dramatization.

2. theunredacted

theunredacted New Member

Gareth Williams, the British spy whose rotting corpse was found zipped up in a bag in 2010.

3. STANDREID

And Percy was the only one I knew when it was ongoing.

4. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

Not only do they endure here in the UK, they are positively thriving. So much so that a new one was launched as recently as July 2015:

http://www.imagine-publishing.co.uk...ith_crime_fuels_launch_of_real_crime_magazine

5. MelmothTheLost

To some extent, yes, but the UK situation was also very different.

1. Most of the cases which really caught the public imagination and were widely reported were solved, and their fame came from the high profile trials as much as anything. Think of the Evans, Christie, Haigh, Heath, Armstrong, Bentley and Cummins cases, for instance. This was the era of the superstar defence counsel and famous pathologist. Blockbuster trials almost seemed to overshadow the crimes which were the subject of them.

2. On the whole, the crimes best remembered today from from that era were generally serial killers. All of the above mentioned were serial killings except for Armstrong, Bentley and Evans. Or one-offs such as the Great Train Robbery.

3. On the whole, the other crimes from this era which are still remembered are those of children who simply disappeared, such as Sheila Fox (1944) and Moira Anderson (1957) (though the latter is now regarded unofficially as solved while her body is still missing).

There are other single murders that you could have chosen, some of which would probably have a higher recognition than Rose Harsent, such as:

Bella Wright (Green Bicycle Case) (1921)
    Bella in the Wych Elm (1943)
    Charles Walton (1945)
    Emily Armstrong (1949)

But the reality is that there are surprisingly few (known) unsolved murders in the UK during this period. Some of the ones which have best recognition are more recent such as April Fabb, Genette Tate and Suzy Lamplugh.

Mrs. Badcrumble likes this.
  6. STANDREID

For true, we had no Edward Marshall Hall or Bernard Spilsbury here in the States. Regarding the additional cases you mention, most are in the top 100 of my eventual top 1000+ classic unsolved murder case list
    (right now, I'm up to around 730). Green Bicycle interests me most, I think, even though there's a chance that it could have been an accidental shooting rather than a murder. I decided to limit the listing to what I did to keep it from becoming too unwieldy. We all have our "favorites" and once you go past a top 5 probably no two lists would match exactly.

7. Cici_Cyclone

Cici_Cyclone Member

I think Genette Tate's murder/disappearance is widely accepted as being perpetrated by Robert Black. Although much of the evidence of this is circumstantial and his recent death has led to a halt on the newer investigation into this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. MelmothTheLost

I'd agree that this is the case amongst those who have kept up to date with the Tate and Black cases, but the linking of Genette to Black is fairly recent in terms of public awareness. I suspect it's going to end up one of those cases that doesn't end in a formal conviction but where there's a general consensus that a particular person dunnit.

9. Backwoods

Backwoods New Member

No matter how one feels about the Lindbergh kidnapping case, I wanted to post that there is a new book (focusing on the early phases of the crime and investigation) just out that I personally feel will be a must-read for anyone interested in the case:

http://www.buybooksontheweb.com/product.aspx?ISBN=9781495810428#

There have, of course, been many Lindbergh case books and all kinds of theories. This book, though, is the result of years of intensive archival research by author Michael Melsky, who is also the administrator of a very fine online forum on the case. Whatever else, I KNOW there will be facts revealed -- and well documented -- in Michael's book that you won't find in any other. And some longstanding "myths" will be exploded, too, I expect.

I am thrilled that Michael has finally released volume one of his study of the case -- cannot wait to read it! I hope he will continue on to do additional volumes on later aspects of the case, as he has said he may.

10. CursSleuth

CursSleuth New Member

[h=1]Georgette Bauerdorf would have been another good entry.[/h]

11. Ambitioned

Ambitioned New Member

This isn't really a single murder but Winnie Ruth Judd was jailed for a double murder.

The trunk murders

Ruthless

Most people think she's guilty but one author named Bommersbach (bit of a ditz IMO) is convinced she's innocent and wrote a book called "The Trunk Murderess."

Anyway some light reading if you're ever so inclined. ;)

12. PrimeSuspect

PrimeSuspect Under the Milky Way

Deidre Kennedy, Ipswich - 17 months old, abducted from her bed after 10 pm, 13 April, 1973. Her body was found the next day on the top of a park's toilet block. Deidre had been bashed, sexually assaulted and strangled and the killer had dressed her in a woman's half-slip, panties and step-ins, stolen from next door.
    Her thigh showed bruising inflicted by bite marks.

This terrible crime is basically unsolved even though there is a suspect, here is the article about this complicated case.
    https://www.qt.com.au/news/murder-that-stole-ipswichs-innocence-innocence/1819762/

13. tambo

tambo Member

I worked there for a few years and had quit about 6 months before it happened. I knew the main suspect when i was there. I think he probably did it but im not convinced he acted alone. There is a podcast about the case. Have you listened to it. It haunts me to this day because i cant count the number of nights that i was in that office where it happened. Im really sorry for your loss

ctaylor likes this.
  14. sonz82

sonz82 Active Member

The 5 unsolved murders in the town I live in. 3 were friends all murdered in a caravan one night in 1981, another from 1988 - a suspected paedophile was murdered in his home and the most recent , John Reynolds - murdered in 1993. This one could easily be solved, I'm shocked it hasn't been! All 3 can be read about here
    Police committed to seeking justice in Northamptonshire’s unsolved murders

15. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  16. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member