Mother Has 4 Limbs Amputated After Home Birth

Here is a FB prayer group.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=343063085090#!/group.php?gid=343063085090

Testing for Strep A is typically routine when pregnant. I tested positive and had to be on a penicillin drip for 4 hours prior to delivery.

Actually, just to nitpick for the sake of accuracy, it is Strep B that is routinely tested for. Strep A, that Katy was infected with, is very commonly found on the skin, so any one of us could be exposed at any time. Strep B is pretty common in the digestive tract (roughly 30% of the population has it), but it can be dangerous for newborns exposed to it and can actually cause preterm labor and birth, which is why it is tested for and treated.

That poor woman and her family. Her husband's blog said she also had had her colon, lower bowel, part of her stomach, her uterus, overaries, and her felopian tubes removed along with her limbs. So sad.

Actually, just to nitpick for the sake of accuracy, it is Strep B that is routinely tested for. Strep A, that Katy was infected with, is very commonly found on the skin, so any one of us could be exposed at any time. Strep B is pretty common in the digestive tract (roughly 30% of the population has it), but it can be dangerous for newborns exposed to it and can actually cause preterm labor and birth, which is why it is tested for and treated.

I was just about to post the same thing. I tested positive for Strep B in both of my pregnancies. Treatment was IV antibiotics during labor. Babies born to B+ mommies are cultured immediately (since cultures take so long to grow). I don't know percentages, but most babies aren't exposed to Strep B provided Mom received antibiotics before baby is born.

Prayers for this family. MRSA is vicious. I'm so sorry they've had to endure this in what is supposed to be the happiest time in a families life.

Oh my gosh....I went to Katy's husband's blog and it is heartbreaking what Katy and the family have been through! I admire Katy and her husband for their strength! What they have been through is absolutely tragic. My heart and prayers go out to them. I can't even imagine not being able to ever hold my new baby or the many other things she won't be able to do - ever again. She not only had her limbs removed, but her colon, lower bowel, part of her stomach, her ovaries, uterus, and fallopian tubes removed and has been on a feeding tube. She also has not been able to see her children since this happened. I just can not imagine what this poor woman and her family have been through. Reading the husband's blog has me all choked up for them. Ugh...this is so tragic. My prayers go out to them.

This is very sad...and very scary. My prayers go out to them, as well. Just the title of the thread scares me.

oops sorry! It's been a few years :)

This is so horribly tragic. Looking at the pictures of the baby shower and other happy family times is heartbreaking knowing what has happened.

It really makes me all the more aware to count my blessings. They seem to be strong and have support but g-d this is just terrible.

I read Katy's husband's blog, from the beginning. It is so touching, he is a wonderful and devoted husband to Katy. He has power of attorney and has insisted on being informed on all phases of Katy's treatment, and has made suggestions, too. Most of all, he has just been there for her, the whole way.

http://katyupdate.wordpress.com/page/2/

Click on this link, and go to the bottom of the page and read up. I cried more than once, for sure.

I wish all the best for this family, and hope that Katy continues to progress well, and gets to be with her family soon.

MRSA is methycillin resistand STAPHOLOCOCCUS aureus, the evil cousin of streptococcus (which is what this woman had).

I agree the reporter was shooting for interest and exploiting the controversy about home birth. I'm guessing she was infected with strep A during the birth, but it's possible she could have contracted it through any break in the skin/mucous membrane any time after. The woman on DHC contracted it via a tiny cut on her little finger. We injure ourselves like this all the time.

I've read (sorry, no remembered sources :( ) that it takes a particular mix of a persons immune system response to a certain bacteria, that you and I would shrug off, to cause such a terrible calamity as this woman had. Perhaps the way the immune system is suppressed during pregnancy?

When I worked at Harborview in Seattle, they flew in a 17 year old boy who was cut on a tractor blade in Montana while working on the family farm. He too developed necrotizing fasciitis and all of his limbs were amputated to save his life. He did not survive this. I have a little farm and open cuts from fencing or wranging with bird claws and beaks :D and get inoculated with soil in them every day. If this organism caused EVERYONE to develop NF I'd have been dead years ago, and so would most of humanity.

You don't even have to be up to your armpits in filth (like I am every day at home AND at work :D ) to get this infection. It hits like lightening strikes from what literature I have read over the years.

thank you PeteyGirl! The reason I asked is that my son was hospitalized with MRSA at age 15 and it happened so quickly that was the first thing that popped into my mind.

As for home birth I was never a candidate given my delivery history but I support that choice if the Mother does. :)

Katy now has a "talking" trach, so she can speak.

Her first word was "coffee." Way to go, Katy!

I wouldn't wish what has happened to her on my worst enemy... but, I do think that Katy and her husband (Al) will make lemonade from those lemons!

Really sad, but irresponsible reporting. The truth is that this happens in hospitals far more often. Several mothers in Columbus have died from the staph infections they got in the hospital.

My daughter was born at home a year and a half ago and any future children we have, as long as we are healthy, will be born at home.

Wow! I just fell in love with this family. These are amazing people!

It was interesting to read the blog, "Katy is Strong" ... Al had Katy's medical power of attorney, and he was able to take a very active part in medical decisions made by her doctors. He was talking for her, and I wonder if the results would have been different it he had had no say-so, when Katy was in coma.

The whole family is an inspiration. They are all strong!

I just heard about this today, and have been sharing with my DH, the whole story.... We are both at "ahhhh" about theirs families love and strength. I wish them all the best.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back