Motion for protective order to destroy videos of family visits

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped for space>
Plea in exchange for giving up the location of the body? Is that what you meant? Like Hans Reiser?
Excellent summary, by-the-way!

Yes, exactly. It appeared to me that Orlando law enforcement was open all along to the explanation of an accident, or something more serious but not premeditated. I'm speculating that there might have been some deal available for lesser charges and/or a lesser amount of jail time in exchange for KC's providing details of what happened and disclosing the location of Caylee's remains.

And thank you.

I've read a few people suggest getting their stories straight through counsel. The problem with that is -- it's too risky for the attorney. JB and KC discussing lies to be told is one thing; it's her word against his. But when one has a room full of people discussing a fraud upon the court that's a whole 'nother ballgame. When the A's all turn on the attorney facilitating this little fabrication festival, it's bye-bye ticket to ride due to the ethical violation(s) suborning perjury.

That's why the family needs to meet alone without counsel. The family clearly has no ethical obligation and from their behaviors, no moral compass either.

EXACTLY! While JB and KC may be "concocting" the story in their meetings, there's no way JB is going to go to the Anthonys and say "now here's the deal". No, he will have to rely on KC to communicate that to them in a family visitation.

THAT is why this motion has been filed (IMHO).

Yes, exactly. It appeared to me that Orlando law enforcement was open all along to the explanation of an accident, or something more serious but not premeditated. I'm speculating that there might have been some deal available for lesser charges and/or a lesser amount of jail time in exchange for KC's providing details of what happened and disclosing the location of Caylee's remains.

And thank you.

Yep! LE almost begged, a couple of times. They were even kind about it. Almost indulgent.

Yuri explained carefully to KC that mothers accidently hurt their kids all the time, and LE has already seen it all.

The Commander pushed it, while talking w/ CA. He advised her KC could benefit if CA could get JB and KC on the ball, "before we find anything. Because right now, we think it was an accident."

That was the kindest, the best advice any of those people ever received in their lives, and they all blew it off.

Just a quick question about this topic :
If the A's want to visit KC without the video going public or used against her, can't they just have JB present and involved in the conversation, so that it would be priveliged and inadmissable at trial?
Any legal eagles out there who can chime in?
TIA

I must add that GOOD defense attornies will tell their clients to NOT go for publicity and bringing the media into the trial.

Glad you put emphasis on GOOD attorneys! Also, if your client is PROVABLY innocent media attention is great! Clearly not the case here for either of the above scenarios.

I still believe this motion to prevent videoing the family is so that KC can get straight with CA and GA what "the story" is. As has been said a hundred times already, if this was just to give privacy to a "family moment" (shiver me timbers at the thought) they would just meet, express their love and support, cry and leave. If they did that, and it was released, the defense has the chance of some positive benefit from it. "Grieving family meet for first time in almost a year" type stuff. Also, if they did meet, and that's all it was, JB could file a LEGITIMATE motion to have the judge review the tape and see that it has no relevance to the case - and probably win. (Though I don't know why he would from a legal standpoint - bein's he needs all the positive PR he can get for his client.)

But I've come to believe this whole Anthony camp (lawyers and all) are so dysfunctional that this scene is TRULY impossible for them. That, and I believe CA and GA know darned well they're staring at their granddaughter's murderer when they're looking at KC...so faking that for 30 or 45 minutes with a camera shooting you would be pretty hard (especially for GA).

The whole camp is lawyered up and committed to ignoring the truth - whatever that takes. And I don't think any of them will let another of them rebel...

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. - George Orwell

Universal deceit...that's what we've got going here.

Amen Valhall! Exactly! If they wouldn't give them a private family funeral they won't give private family get your story straight time! JB wants it all hidden because he know none of it will help his client...EVER! I would have thought that her reaction to the body being found would be something they would want shown if she had the reaction that any normal grieving mother would have, but no, not here! Can't show that. These people are all just abnormal and sneaky and believe that they should get special treatment for everything. They all make me sick.

This is the best option for Casey, if she's smart enough to recognize it. If she confessed and asked for mercy, it's a good possibility that the death penalty would be eliminated in exchange for life without the possibility of parole.

The real problem is that I think Casey has been led to believe that JB is going to get her out of this mess and she expects a not guilty verdict at trial. She thinks she's going walk free.

For his part, I think JB has always wanted a trial so he can promote himself. From the beginning, I think JB saw this high profile case as his ticket to fame and fortune. He's not acting in Casey's best interests as much as he's looking out for his own best interests.

Yeah.. pretty sure JB bragged himself up to be her "white knight." He appears to be a legend in his own mind.

This is a possibility, although I think Casey has "put all her eggs in one basket" so to speak in relying solely on JB. AL may not have any control over her client, as you say, but I wonder if George and Cindy have any control left at this point?

You are right, they may not. This is the Casey Show in her mind and perhaps GA and CA are just ruining limelight for her if they think she wants to plead accidental death or some other nonsense. But I think it's an avenue AL has to explore, just in case. She can't leave any stone unturned and getting a handle on the family dynamic might help her decide which way to go when proceeding with her ultimate strategy.

If the A's want to visit KC without the video going public or used against her, can't they just have JB present and involved in the conversation, so that it would be priveliged and inadmissable at trial?
TIA

That a third party is there, the A's, means there is no privilege. Privilege is between the client and the attorney; not the client, the attorney and all passersby. :)

TIA
The thing about privilige is that if there is anyone besides the attorney and the client present then there IS no privilige. It only exists exclusively relating to their private conversations. When they add in other people who are not employed by the defense, the privilige goes out the window.

Here is how I feel about the problem of them not being able to include the attorney in the "getting their stories straight" process. If there is nothing to lie about, then there is nothing to get straight. If everyone just says what is the truth then there is nothing to compare. The only reason someone would require a private audience in order to get their story straight is if their are lies involved. I know Spangle said earlier that everyone has secrets and they don't want to discuss those in front of the world, and I agree, but why do all their secrets need to enter in to this process? Why can they not just say the truth-the whole truth-and nothing but the truth so help them God? There are no versions of the truth...lies inhabit the versions.

He has and always against the defense. One has to wonder if the lack of recent headlines motivated this recent ploy? Or is AL really that uninformed about this case?

I think AL is setting up a story line for the mitigating defense. The family wanted to meet with KC, but wasn't allowed to do so. IT doesn't matter if it's factual. She just needs to get that info out in public. This way she can bring it up again during the pentality phase that the family is soooo close. They just haven't been visiting, because they have not been allowed to do so. Whaaaa..

I don't think it's well thought out. Because it's easily countered with the fact that KC was treated like ALL inmates. That it was explained to the family the rules. Thye rules never changed, yet they did get to meet with KC in the begining. No one stopped them from meeting. It was a choice the family made.

KC and her family expects entitlements that others don't get. THis is another example of not excepting responsiblity. She doesn't and her family doesn't.

I don't think it will play well to the jury.

The family wanted to meet with KC, but wasn't allowed to do so.

respectfully snipped....Hiya Spangle. We all know that they are welcome to visit each and every day - - - only trouble here is the video tape of the four A's trying to match up their putrid, rotten, shameful lies to protect someone who murdered a toddler. I miss their video visits, actually. I miss them all struggle with their purported :angel:religious beliefs, and alleged united family:croc: bond and I miss watching GA and CA look at their daughter knowing what she did :furious:but still trying to dismiss it.....just like they all have dismissed Caylee.

Okay,I know some posters aren't going to like this,but I'll spit it out anyway...

I agree the Anthonys' should not receive special treatment,if all inmates have their visits video taped,than so should the Anthonys. Now,I'm trying to put myself in their situation,and I too would be against the taped video being splashed on the news. Let's face it,and you have to agree, most inmates do not have to contend with their videos being repeatedly shown on LKL,Nancy Grace,websites,and every other media venue.I would hate having my most personal moments scrutinized by all of America.

So,with that being said,I agree the video taping should proceed,but not given to the media.

Don't hate me...lol!:angel:

Okay,I know some posters aren't going to like this,but I'll spit it out anyway...

I agree the Anthonys' should not receive special treatment,if all inmates have their visits video taped,than so should the Anthonys. Now,I'm trying to put myself in their situation,and I too would be against the taped video being splashed on the news. Let's face it,and you have to agree, most inmates do not have to contend with their videos being repeatedly shown on LKL,Nancy Grace,websites,and every other media venue.I would hate having my most personal moments scrutinized by all of America.

So,with that being said,I agree the video taping should proceed,but not given to the media.

That would still be giving the A’s special treatment and should not be allowed.
Most inmates do not have their video visits on the news – but I bet there have been other high profile Florida cases where there was a public interest where visitors videos were shown. Also, if I understand the sunshine law correctly, any citizen can ask for a copy, at least if it is used in discovery. If that is the case then I am sure many, many other prisoners and their family’s have had private things released that they would not want released, if not to the media, then at least by their creators, and lawyers working against them in non-related civil cases, and many others of that sort. And so many inmates probably suffer greatly having their conversations open to anyone who wants to hear them. So, if everyone else stands to have everything they say released to whomever request it, and then the A’s should not be treated any differently.
That said – I believe that the Sunshine law is a horrible law that destroys many innocent people. If I lived in Florida I would fight for it’s overturn. But, as long as it is Florida law, it should be followed.

Personally, I think the best the defense can hope for is that the Judge seals family visitation videos as he did with the jail videotape of Casey's reaction. LE routinely monitors these visits and some of them could be legitimately used in court.

As for not taping the videos of attorney visits... that's not going to wash. While Baez assures the court Casey is no threat to him due to being "chained around the stomach", the fact is, his record of behavior during the visits is pretty spotty.

Oh, and let's not forget that little item called "setting a precedent." Should Strickland allow all that is asked for in the motions... Joe the Drug Dealer in jail on murder charges and under terrible stress could ask for the same treatment as Casey.

Those jail rules are there for a darn good reason!

Florida Taxpayers must have voted on this, I'd love to know how the A's voted? We are privy to KC's visits with her family b/c HER MOTHER and her LAWYER couldn't stay away from any camera, keeping our interest in the case by outraging us with the lies. Before Caylee was discovered, CA was out defending KC daily or nearly. Even after Caylee was found, CA (sometimes dragging GA and BC along) still went out and found the cameras. As did JB. If they'd have just kept their pie holes closed we wouldn''t have given a darn about KC. Ask for searchers for Caylee, where ever LE believed they should look and the public would have obliged. But she just couldn't leave it at that. So, IMO,. the A's and JB brought most of this on themselves Sunshine Laws or no. MOO

Well if I am reading this link correctly, I was wrong----the sunshine laws were in place way before the A's ever migrated to Florida.

http://foiadvocate.blogspot.com/2009/03/florida-celebrates-100-years-of.html

I don't hate you. I commend you on being able to give them that much sympathy. I do not have it tho. I was taught a long time ago in school that there are certain rights that you lose when you commit a crime and privacy is one of them. Granted, she has not been found guilty by a jury of her peers yet, but we have all seen with our own 2 eyes her stealing money from Amy. She is a criminal and therefore she loses certain rights. More importantly, IMO, as I have said many times before: They brought this circus. If they didn't want the crazy, they shouldn't have done the things they have done. KC broke the law and lied so much and so obviously that it gained world wide attention and then her family covered for her and disrespected the courts and legal proceedings at every turn. In a perfect world they would all be in prison. MOO.

Personally, I think the best the defense can hope for is that the Judge seals family visitation videos as he did with the jail videotape of Casey's reaction. LE routinely monitors these visits and some of them could be legitimately used in court.

As for not taping the videos of attorney visits... that's not going to wash. While Baez assures the court Casey is no threat to him due to being "chained around the stomach", the fact is, his record of behavior during the visits is pretty spotty.

Oh, and let's not forget that little item called "setting a precedent." Should Strickland allow all that is asked for in the motions... Joe the Drug Dealer in jail on murder charges and under terrible stress could ask for the same treatment as Casey.

Those jail rules are there for a darn good reason!

I agree that would be the best they could hope for, but it won't serve the purpose. I do believe they are trying to get stories straight and they don't want jail officials hearing that.

Well if I am reading this link correctly, I was wrong----the sunshine laws were in place way before the A's ever migrated to Florida.

http://foiadvocate.blogspot.com/2009/03/florida-celebrates-100-years-of.html

I found this:

The Florida Sunshine Law is a series of laws designed to guarantee that the public has access to the public records of governmental bodies in Florida. The law was first enacted in 1995.

http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/Florida_Sunshine_Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members