MS - Court to decide royalties fate of guitar blues great Robert Johnson photos

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by wfgodot, Sep 24, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Family at war over who owns copyright to only two known photographs of legendary bluesman Robert Johnson who 'sold his soul to the devil'
    • Eric Clapton has called Johnson 'the most important blues singer that ever lived'
    • He died penniless in Mississippi in 1938, but a collection of his recordings won a Grammy in 1990
    • The decision now rests with the Mississippi Supreme Court who heard arguments from the two sides on Monday
    • Family members and other associates have been locked in a legal dispute for 25 years over who owns the only two photos

the story and the pictures at Daily Mail link above

2. Loading...

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

The "sold his soul to the devil" thing certainly impressed me when I was, like, twelve! Now - not so much. The story was an early (and an effective!) marketing ploy. Still, though - when one listens to RJ's "Hellhound on My Trail," one can see what made the story so easy to believe. There's something primal, something almost subterranean, about many of the sides he recorded. If not a Faustian artist, he certainly was at least a haunted one.

4. wishuwerehere

wishuwerehere New Member

5. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Drat you, LOL, I've spent the last couple of hours listening to Robert Johnson recordings. I've known about him for years, but today I just had to listen again. There was one song, forget which, where I heard Elvis. Methinks Elvis may have been a bit influenced, LOL.

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member