Identified! MS - Florence, old Byram Swinging Bridge, WhtFem Adult, UP79780, w/blanket in trash pile, Sep'78 - Tonya Lea Wills Mullins

YaYa_521

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Jane Doe doesn't yet have a profile in NamUs. Investigators believe she might be a victim of SK Samuel Little. They are appealing to a judge to approve an exhumation. They'd like to make a DNA comparison to Wendy Susan Byron from Glendora, CA. She went missing on 26 Aug 1978, just days before JD's body was located. I've included a link to Wendy's WS thread. By chance this isn't a match, perhaps WSleuthers can suggest other MPs who might be Rankin County's JD.

CA - CA - Wendy Byron, 24, Glendora, 26 Aug 1978

3 On Your Side Investigates: Rankin County’s Jane Doe cold case
April 14, 2021 at 6:46 PM CDT - Updated April 14 at 6:46 PM
EMOSBQ72XJEK5AZTWFXKRYQ3N4.png

A woman’s body was found; she had been murdered. But who was she? Who killed her? [snip] There is only a composite sketch after her body was found. For 43 years now, she has been Jane Doe, a murder victim found in Rankin County. The old Byram Swinging Bridge used to allow vehicles to cross it back in 1978. Now, it’s only open to foot traffic. But below the bridge on the banks of the Pearl River, there used to be an old dump site there--an illegal dump site. That’s where they found the body of Jane Doe.

[snip]

“She was not tossed off the bridge. Someone had driven down this dirt road,” Dickerson said. “At that time, it was a dirt road and a trash pile on the side of the road and she was thrown in that trash pile.” He continued, ”There was an old blanket that at that time; we thought it may’ve come from a motel that she was wrapped in, but there was nothing. She had no clothes. It was nothing else at the scene, but just that blanket and her body.” ”We got several leads. To begin with, there were no marks, no tattoos, no fingerprints. We ran her finger prints. We had no dental work and at that time, we had no DNA.

[snip]

”We have searched archives and 43 years of police reports,” Ruth said. You know we have not been able to put our hands on that case file, at this time. You know, we’re still searching diligently for it, but all we have is a composite drawing that someone on the scene 43 years ago drew.” He also knows how Jane Doe was killed. ”...as a result of blows to the head. There was a lot of skull fractures and hemorrhaging in that.” said Ruth. (much more at link)
ABETE6AONZBWPHRCPLB4WUFLJU.png

TY for the PM, @imstilla.grandma.

She sure looks like Wendy and the timeline fits, too. But why on earth would she be killed or dumped almost 2 days of driving away from her home? Cross the whole continent.
Everything is possible but it makes it a bit unlikely its her. Where was her husband the days after she disappeared?

She sure looks like Wendy and the timeline fits, too. But why on earth would she be killed or dumped almost 2 days of driving away from her home? Cross the whole continent.
Everything is possible but it makes it a bit unlikely its her. Where was her husband the days after she disappeared?
It could be that her husband is actually innocent and that her car having been found at the airport meant she went to visit someone closer to MS - but I agree, it's definitely far.

Going through Jane Does that went missing in late summer 1978 one got my attention: Wanda Lee Ann Priddy went missing on August 29th, 1978 in Port Lavaca, Texas. What caught my eye was that according to the Jane Doe's new NAMUS page: it was "Estimated she had been deceased 7 days prior to being found which would be approximately August 29th, 1978".
I could easily imagine a scenario where Wanda hitchhiked to and ended up murdered in Mississippi the same day she went missing. According to google it is around a 9 hour drive from Port Lavaca to Florence, Mississippi.
Wanda had "long and straight" brown hair, was 5'4"tall, 20 years old, and weighed 90 lbs. The only thing that doesn't fit is that the Jane Doe was estimated to be 110-125 lbs.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Edit: It was not mentioned in the local news article (presumably because it is assumed local viewers would know this) is that the swinging bridge that the Jane Doe was found one mile south of is only eight-tenths of a mile from an exit of I-55, which did exist in 1978. So she really could be from anywhere.

Last edited:
RankinCoMSUID.jpg
I superimposed MP Wendy Byron and this UID. JMHO, but I think there are a few too many differences between them.

A few things stood out from the original 1978 drawing. This UID had a rather long nose, and a very short space between tip of nose and top of lip. Additionally, the chin appears to have been strong.
JMHO, but the original composite artist seems to suggest that this UID may have had a distinct overbite, as well as, symmetrical teeth.

TY for the link! I'll ask a mod to edit the title to show the date her body was found in Florence, MS and "adult fem". The article I linked in the OP didn't specify the exact date or town where she was located. BBM

Date Body Found September 6, 1978
Location Found Florence, Mississippi

Estimated Age Group Adult
Estimated Age Range (Years)--
Estimated Year of Death--
Estimated PMI--
Height 5' 3"-5' 6"(63-66 inches) , Estimated
Weight 110-125 lbs, Estimated
Hair Color Brown
Eye Color Unknown
Condition of Remains Recognizable face

Circumstances of Recovery - Estimated she had been deceased 7 days prior to being found which would be approximately August 29th, 1978 She was wrapped in a blanket and left in an illegal land fill approximately 1 mile south of the swinging bridge in Rankin County.

View attachment 294726
I superimposed MP Wendy Byron and this UID. JMHO, but I think there are a few too many differences between them.

A few things stood out from the original 1978 drawing. This UID had a rather long nose, and a very short space between tip of nose and top of lip. Additionally, the chin appears to have been strong.
JMHO, but the original composite artist seems to suggest that this UID may have had a distinct overbite, as well as, symmetrical teeth.
I have a more recent photo I will share, they match more.

View attachment 294726

Not all composites resemble the photo of a victim. This sketch might've just been from looking at photos from an autopsy.

Going through Jane Does that went missing in late summer 1978 one got my attention: Wanda Lee Ann Priddy went missing on August 29th, 1978 in Port Lavaca, Texas. What caught my eye was that according to the Jane Doe's new NAMUS page: it was "Estimated she had been deceased 7 days prior to being found which would be approximately August 29th, 1978".
I could easily imagine a scenario where Wanda hitchhiked to and ended up murdered in Mississippi the same day she went missing. According to google it is around a 9 hour drive from Port Lavaca to Florence, Mississippi.
Wanda had "long and straight" brown hair, was 5'4"tall, 20 years old, and weighed 90 lbs. The only thing that doesn't fit is that the Jane Doe was estimated to be 110-125 lbs.
Edit: It was not mentioned in the local news article (presumably because it is assumed local viewers would know this) is that the swinging bridge that the Jane Doe was found one mile south of is only eight-tenths of a mile from an exit of I-55, which did exist in 1978. So she really could be from anywhere.
IMO, Wanda makes a real good likely possible match. Even though NamUs and Doe profiles say she was 90lbs, she's described as weighing 120lbs. in some of the news articles linked in her WS thread. Here's a link to that and her Charley Project profile which includes a few pics. I think you should submit her as a PM just in case. ;)

TX - TX - Wanda Priddy, 20, Port Lavaca, 29 Aug 1978

Wanda Lee Ann Priddy – The Charley Project

The drawing is terrible, my guess is that she under 40 but I can only guess.

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number1978 Jane Doe
Demographics
SexFemale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Nickname/Alias--
Estimated Age GroupAdult
Estimated Age Range (Years)--
Estimated Year of Death--
Estimated PMI--
Height5' 3"-5' 6"(63-66 inches) , Estimated
Weight110-125 lbs, Estimated
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body FoundSeptember 6, 1978
NamUs Case CreatedApril 23, 2021
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
LocationFlorence, Mississippi
CountyRankin County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Found On Tribal LandNo
Circumstances of RecoveryEstimated she had been deceased 7 days prior to being found which would be approximately August 29th, 1978 She was wrapped in a blanket and left in an illegal land fill approximately 1 mile south of the swinging bridge in Rankin County.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains--
Condition of RemainsRecognizable face
Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorUnknown
Right Eye ColorUnknown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features

Original

I wonder if they will release a PM photo of this UID.

The postmortem interval (7 days) appears to be somewhat on the long side for her to be considered "recognizable" upon discovery. I would think that after a week of being exposed to the Mississippi elements in September, she would be pretty decomposed. It also looks like they weren't able to determine her eye color. It makes me wonder how accurate that initial reconstruction might be, although that reconstruction isn't very descriptive in general (as usual, coffeeandacig did a wonderful job at making her look more lifelike).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindazKeeprzz69*
Back