MS MS - Ocean Springs, WhtMale 19-24, UP4774, Hit & Run/Hitchhiker, bible, jeans, few clothes, Sep'88

tifflee

Reaction score
NamUs UP # 4774
NamUs profile: https://identifyus.org/cases/4774

Doe Network Case File: 2560UMMS
Doe Network profile: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2560umms.html

Unidentified White Male
ME/C Case Number: D309131E8
Jackson County, Mississippi
19 to 24 year old White Male
Date of Discovery: September 29, 1988
Location of Discovery: Ocean Springs, Jackson County, Mississippi
Estimated Date of Death: 1988
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Cause of Death: Auto/pedestrian hit and run

Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 19-24 years old
Race: White
Height: 71 inches, estimated (Doe Network: Unknown)
Weight: 180-200 lbs. (NamUs: 190 lbs., estimated)
Hair Color: Blond or strawberry blond.
Eye Color: Hazel
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown (NamUs: Circumcised)

Identifiers
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Blue jeans.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: A bible.

Case History
The victim was killed in a hit and run while hitchhiking on I-10 in Ocean Springs.

Investigating Agency(s)
If you have any information about this case please contact;

Agency Name: Mississippi Chief Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Mark LeVaughn
Agency Phone Number: 601-987-1440

Agency Case Number: ME: D309131E8
NCIC Case Number: U331597550
NamUs Case Number: UP #4774

Michael Fischer
NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/35524/
Charley Project: http://charleyproject.org/cases/f/fischer_michael.html

Michael is:
  • In the right age range (19 in 1984 when last seen, 22 when last postcard received) while the UID is estimated to be 19-24.
  • Blonde like the UID.
  • Reported as having a height of 5'6" to 6'3" while the UID has an estimated height of 5'11".
  • Presumed to have traveled across many states (CT, FL, TN) so MS is not as big of a stretch in that context.
  • Listed as having DNA submitted and tested, but the UID does not so they likely would not have been automatically compared yet.
  • Reported to have last contacted family a year before the UID was located.

However:
  • The UID is reported as having hazel eyes while Michael is reported as having blue eyes
  • The UID has an estimated weight of 180-200 lbs. while Michael is estimated at 150-160 lbs. However, his family had not seen him for over three years between his mother's funeral and the last postcard receipt so the weight could be off.
  • The UID has dentals available, but Michael Fischer's profile only lists DNA on file.

I wonder why DoeNet lists "partial skeletal remains," which can't possibly be correct. You wouldn't be able to tell whether he was circumcised (mentioned in NamUS but not DN) or what his eye color was if they were skeletal remains (much less "partial" skeletal remains). And you couldn't be certain that he was hitch-hiking, either.

NamUS says that the entire body was located but it wasn't recognizable due to the trauma of the accident. I also wonder about the dental records that they mention. If the accident was so bad that he was unrecognizable, wouldn't it be likely that his teeth/jaw could've been badly damaged?

James Peters (NamUs) was 19, standing at 5'10" with long blond/strawberry hair and hazel eyes and was last seen on September 3, 1988 in El Cajon, CA. His car was found stripped and abandoned in an isolated area of San Diego County. He appaers to be wearing a necklace with a cross in his picture on NamUs.
His weight is listed as 140 lbs and Mississippi is pretty far from California, but everything else seems to match.

By the way the title is wrong, it says Sept'98 instead of Sept'88.

Bumping case up.

I don't know if it can be solved unless it's possible for authorities to exhume him and obtain DNA, but maybe we should try with what we have anyway. It's a shame there aren't any "distinctive features."

First thing's first:
Who is listed in NamUs as already excluded?

Bumping case up.

I don't know if it can be solved unless it's possible for authorities to exhume him and obtain DNA, but maybe we should try with what we have anyway. It's a shame there aren't any "distinctive features."

First thing's first:
Who is listed in NamUs as already excluded?
0 Missing Person Exclusions

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back