MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #7

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by bessie, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

Maybe she was tired of being used as a punching bag? Her mom said she was in two violent relationships.

2. machiado

machiado Member

I think it could have been a court option - go somewhere for help or be tried for simple assault. Her mother, with good reason, would have pushed her to go get help in a rehab place like Leah's house. JMO

3. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

Beyond scary and I can only hope the feds are pulling apart their connections with each other and with Jessica.

I don't know that she was still hanging out with those folks. Her most recent activities seemed to be focused on her faith and overcoming adversity. iow,she felt she was "born again."

JMO

4. dairydog

dairydog Member

Nice memories MizStery. I know I'm OT but just wanted to say I have great memories of visiting MS; wonderful cousins we'd visit in Laurel, MS. Loved it. Maybe our MS families will come up with some clues! Truth is stranger than fiction!

5. CHERIE.T

CHERIE.T Former Member

Reading that info this morning has my brain wheels turning.
    If Jessica went to Leah's voluntarily, did she commit to staying there a certain amount of time? A week? A month?
    Is it free to stay at Leah's? I can't imagine that being so..just throwing it out there. Who pays for this Insurance or is it out of pocket?

I agree with you about Jessica going to Leah's points to her wanting to make changes in her life.

6. ZOOL

ZOOL New Member

The key in the ignition and the parking brake on seem to discount the possibility of a car fire.

Of course, if the key was in the "on position" and if the parking brake had been engaged by the tow operator -- after pulling the Kia onboard as some operators will do -- then fire could be a possibility.

7. Ms Pragmatic

Ms Pragmatic Active Member

I will re-post this without the link this time. I think Leah's House is free. It runs on donations. My last post, I added a link to their GO fund me page, not realizing it wasn't an approved link. Sorry!

8. FelicityLemon

FelicityLemon Well-Known Member

My heart just hurts more for Jessica's short life, and the upward and forward motion she was making for her life, the more we learn about Jessica.

When I read this I thought that perhaps Jessica slapped her mother (as opposed to my previous theory of girlfight), mom had her arrested for assault. Sometimes, a parent will have had enough and when it escalates to violence will call police as a last result. This could have been the "assault" that started the path to Jessica's wellness by having the court order to have residential counseling aka time at Leah's House.

9. Ms Pragmatic

How helpless a parent would feel to watch an young adult child spin out of control, knowing how limited your options are. You really cannot make anyone over 18 do anything...unless you had leverage. If mom or someone else in the household was the victim of the assault, maybe she was given the option to go to Leah's in exchange for charges being dropped. Or perhaps she went willingly because she wanted to make the necessary changes. Low self-esteem is common in girls JC's age. She was a cheerleader/athlete in high school. Different ballgame when you graduate and you have no clear path in life and no idea what to do with that whole being an adult thing. We saw this so many times at our shelter. She wasn't enrolled/attending college, and maybe her closest friends from high school were. I remember feeling like a loser when I graduated because I wasn't going to college and I was working at a Dairy Queen. That is when I got into my bad relationship. Took me a few years and a pregnancy to turn myself around.

10. PeterThomasFan

PeterThomasFan Well-Known Member

What if she was actually driving with the emergency brake on and that caused a car fire while she was driving?

That could also explain how her car ended up where it did.

In reading about Kia vehicle fires, the brakes were often the root cause of a fire.

Emergency brake likely caused car fire
    August 01, 2012|By CHELCEY ADAMI | Staff Writer

Authorities said the car fire was apparently caused by the emergency brake being left on while driving.

[...]

11. Ms Pragmatic

That is very interesting! The only reason I'm discounting any kind of accidental fire is because they would have ruled that out by now. I believe the use of an accelerant is why they view this as a homicide.

12. cady

cady Well-Known Member

YUP Also if they found her on the passenger side of the car. JMO

13. cady

cady Well-Known Member

I looked at the house. It is 37 Oak st. Oakland, ms on google streets. Nothing remarkable. JMO

14. Ms Pragmatic

They usually aren't houses that stand out and they definitely aren't anything fancy. The one I worked at was a non-description three story home in an old-fashioned town, surrounded by other three story homes. If one didn't know what it was, it would definitely not attract much attention. We also ran on donations. Food, clothing, furniture and money was donated.

15. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I believe it is the dedicated people who work there, and not the physical structure, that make places like Leah's House remarkable. JMO.

16. Elle*Bee

Elle*Bee We're all just stories in the end.

My son is in EMT training and he was advised the same thing: render aid but don't discuss your medical credentials. (Sad the world has come to this.)

17. PeterThomasFan

PeterThomasFan Well-Known Member

BBM

Not sure if we can rule anything out at this point since we don't know what LE actually ruled out. :thinking:

Their latest statement was, "Investigators believe the attack could have been targeted at Jessica Chambers, but they aren't ruling anything out."

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story...in-jessica-chambers-case-search-for-new-clues

18. Ms Pragmatic

Correct. They are not meant to stand out on the outside. But what goes on inside can be life-changing for many. Invaluable. We worked very hard on limited resources.

19. NineMilly

NineMilly Ghost of the Woods

Bump....

20. Ms Pragmatic

I took that to mean that the attack could be targeted or it could be random or it could be a message to someone. But I think it has already been classified as a homicide and the use of the word "attack" would exclude an accident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.