VERDICT WATCH MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, Dec 2014 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more tweets have come through from Brad Broders, Cathy Russon or Therese Apel but several from a 'Bridget Chapman' so I'll post them:

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 37m37 minutes ago
Witness now up: the director of Panola County Emergency Operations.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 36m36 minutes ago
He also responded to the scene that night and saw #JessicaChambers.

"She was burned. Everywhere you could see there was a burn -- her face, her eyebrows. You could see the soot around her mouth [and] her nostrils."

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 35m35 minutes ago
He said it was difficult trying to talk to #JessicaChambers. Her tongue was red and swollen. "The more we talked to her, the more difficult it became for her to speak."

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 34m34 minutes ago
He says it was hard to understand what she said her name was. He said he heard Tessica, Jessica, even Courtney at one point.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 33m33 minutes ago
He says he gave her a pen and paper to try to get her to write her name down, but she was too badly burned to write anything.

Her skin was red and blistering... "It kind of reminded you of stiff leather when she tried to move."

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 28m28 minutes ago
He said he didn't think they'd have a chance to ever talk to #JessicaChambers again after that scene. He asked her who did this to her and he heard "Eric." He's demonstrating how he heard the word pronounced because it wasn't completely clear.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 23m23 minutes ago
This is the second first responder who's testified today he heard #JessicaChambers say "Eric" set her on fire.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 22m22 minutes ago
He says he was told to get statements from all of the firefighters on scene. He says that's unusual because it was too soon for everyone to be able to process what had happened. #JessicaChambers

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 21m21 minutes ago
He says a firefighter on scene told him he noticed a suspicious person standing there. They were able to get the person's tag number and run it. He says he then turned it over to law enforcement. #JessicaChambers

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 14m14 minutes ago
He says when he asked #JessicaChambers what Eric's last name was, she shrugged her shoulders as if she didn't know.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 12m12 minutes ago
Defense has continued to make it clear multiple first responders said they heard #JessicaChambers talk that night. This directly contradicts the state's witness (the speech pathology expert) who said it would've been impossible for her to make individual sounds in any way.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 4m4 minutes ago
State asks him again, "was she speaking in articulate sentences?" He answers no.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 2m2 minutes ago
Next witness up: Another volunteer firefighter who responded to the scene that night.

Back to Therese Apel:

‏Verified account @TRex21 7m7 minutes ago
Cole said usually reports are generated in 48 hours. If he ever faces this situation again, he told the court he will wait before requesting and producing reports.

‏Verified account @TRex21 8m8 minutes ago
As he reiterates in redirect, Cole tells the court he tried to let Jessica write the name down because it was so hard to understand her.

When Hale asks Cole to talk about the condition of Chambers' face and nose as to whether she could speak clearly, Palmer objects. Hale said since Palmer brought up the quotes, his questions are warranted.

Cole says she was not making sentences at all. When Hale asks him to repeat what he heard, Palmer objects. The judge sustains.

‏Verified account @TRex21 6m6 minutes ago
Next up is firefighter Brandy Davis.

‏Verified account @TRex21 4m4 minutes ago
Davis said he was at a mexican restaurant in town when the tone came out for the car fire that ended up being #JessicaChambers' car fire.

‏Verified account @TRex21 2m2 minutes ago
Champion asked him if he had to respond all the way from Batesville to the scene. Cole and Jody and Seth responded from the fire department. Davis was an emergency medical responder at the time, and he said she was out of his scope of expertise so he was trying to gather info.

‏Verified account @TRex21 1m1 minute ago
He said Jessica told him Eric did it, but when asked if he asked her Eric's last name, Davis says "It was like she expected me to just know him. Eric."

You're very welcome, Alethea. I like to post the tweets so those who can't watch the trial live, like yourself, get a feel for what's happening in the courtroom. I know it's not the same as watching the trial live but the tweets are the next best thing, I reckon anyway. :D

I'm watching now! It's hard to hear them describe finding her. I feel so bad for the people who were doing their best to save her life and now they're being used against her. I know that's how it works but it's still hard to watch.

Therese Apel:

‏Verified account @TRex21 8m8 minutes ago
Right now we're seeing a difference in the story told by Haley and Cole and the ones told by Davis and Morris.

In Davis' report from 2014, he said "Her airway was stable."

Keep in mind: Emergency medical responders are specially trained to provide out-of-hospital care in medical emergencies. Training ranges from first aid to basic life support.

Champion asks Davis if it took him 15-20 minutes to get there. Cole Haley is also an EMR, and he testified that he put Jessica on the ground by himself. "As far as I know that's correct," Davis says. But Davis just testified that HE put her on the ground.

‏Verified account @TRex21 5m5 minutes ago
Neither Cole or Haley mentioned Davis in their story of placing Jessica on the ground and comforting her and talking to her. Davis is released.

Firefighter Shane Mills is called.

‏Verified account @TRex21 3m3 minutes ago
Mills was in the center of Batesville on Highway 51 when he got the call, he said. He was between 6-8 miles from the scene. Said it took him maybe 8-10 minutes to get there.

‏Verified account @TRex21 3m3 minutes ago
Jody, Seth, and Cole were there when he got there, he said. Said he parked down the hill because of the curve, wanted people to see lights as they drove up.

‏Verified account @TRex21 2m2 minutes ago
Mills said Jessica was on the ground when he got there. Says "it's hard to describe something like that. Severely burned. Her hair was fried. It's hard to say but that's just how it was."

‏Verified account @TRex21 1m1 minute ago
Cole Haley was talking to her at that time, Mills said, kneeling next to her and telling her to hold on. Said he could not make out what she was trying to say, though it looked as though she was trying to respond to Haley.

‏Verified account @TRex21 17s17 seconds ago
Said addition firefighters and onlookers or "rubberneckers" were on scene adding to the chaos. "We were on high alert... when you're looking at something like that you don't exactly know what's out there. You don't know."

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 4m4 minutes ago
#JessicaChambers - Firefighter Shane Mills is the 10th witness today.

Dn96zWBU8AE8GDP.jpg

I had heard that they are going to have a jury field trip at some point around the same time of evening this happened, with fire trucks, etc. so the jury can get a feel for the chaos of what was going on.

Last edited:
I had heard that they are going to have a jury field trip at some point around the same time of evening this happened, with fire trucks, etc. so the jury can get a fell for the chaos of what was going on.
Can't say I envy them. Just viewing pictures and video's of the crime scene are bad enough without having to actually set foot there. :eek:

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 17m17 minutes ago
This is the firefighter who reported seeing a suspicious person near the scene that night. He didn't personally get the tag number, but he heard someone else did.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 15m15 minutes ago
Bridget Chapman Retweeted Bridget Chapman

He said he had to ask the suspicious person to leave three times before he finally did.

"He just had a blank stare on his face. I’ve never seen a stare like that in my life. He stared right through you."

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 11m11 minutes ago
Now up on the stand is another volunteer firefighter from that night.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 9m9 minutes ago
She arrived with her husband to the scene in their personal vehicle. She says they're both volunteer firefighters in the nearby town of Pope. They had their grandchildren with them -- they were told to stay in the car.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 3m3 minutes ago
She's now the fourth first responder to testify that she heard #JessicaChambers say "Eric" was the one who set her on fire.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 16s17 seconds ago
Now her husband who she arrived to the scene with is on the stand.

We're told the final witness of the day is now up. He was a paramedic and volunteer firefighter the night #JessicaChambers was lit on fire. He responded to the scene.

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 4m4 minutes ago
He said when he asked #JessicaChambers her name, he was able to make out what she was saying even though it was raspy & hard to understand.

When he asked what her last name was, he said she answered "I'm cold."
When he asked who did this to her, he said it sounded like she said "Eric" or "Derek." When he asked for the person's last name, she again said she was cold. #JessicaChambers

Bridget Chapman‏Verified account @bchapman_WREG3 30s30 seconds ago
Bridget Chapman Retweeted Bridget Chapman

He's the 5th person to testify today that he heard #JessicaChambers say "Erik" (or "Derek") was the one who set her on fire.

Last edited:
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 26m26 minutes ago
#JessicaChambers This is the last witness for today. Casey Austin was a paramedic/firefighter. He helped get Jessica in the ambulance. He said she was saying something soft but he couldn't understand anything.

Dn-Lj43U4AAuwzr.jpg

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 23m23 minutes ago
Cathy Russon Retweeted Cathy Russon

Correction: He could make out what she was saying. She said Eric or Derrick did this. She kept saying she was cold. Again, this contradicts the speech pathologist.

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 15m15 minutes ago
#JessicaChambers - We had 14 witnesses today. 5 first responders testified Jessica said Eric/Derick did this to her. the prosecution's expert witness, speech pathologist, testified early in the day that Jessica couldn't have been understood because of her injuries.

Dn-OLLTUwAAx6KJ.jpg

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 14m14 minutes ago
#JessicaChambers - Several witnesses heard Jessica say more than just Eric. She asked for a drink, said she was cold, was able to say her name. Court's adjourned for today and will pick back up in the morning. You can watch the entire trial live stream on http://Lawandcrime.com

JACKSON, Miss. - A second trial is set to begin Tuesday on charges that man set a Mississippi woman on fire, leading to her death.

Details on the jury selection have been released-

• 5 African-American women
  • 4 African-American men
  • 3 White men
  • 3 White women
  • 3 alternate (2 white women, 1 white man)
Jurors couldn't reach verdict last year in the first trial of Quinton Tellis, charged with capital murder in the death of Jessica Chambers in 2014.

Jury selected ahead of second Jessica Chambers trial

Not much change so far, even with the order in which the same prosecution witnesses as the first trial are being called.

One exception is the insertion of one new witness as the third witness in this trial, Dr. Carolyn Higdon (PhD). After questioning from both sides, she was accepted as an expert in Speech Language Pathology. To summarize her testimony, after viewing the first trial testimony of experts from the Memphis burn center as to Jessica's condition along with photographs from the autopsy, her expert opinion was that it would have been impossible for Jessica to make "articulate sounds" and that she would have been in that condition within 2-3 minutes of receiving her severe burn injuries to her mouth, tongue, soft palate, larynx, and vocal chords, as well as the burns to her chest restricting her breathing.

Unfortunately, a number of subsequent first responders who testified today contradicted that expert opinion, not only repeating that they heard her utter "Eric" or "Derick" in response to who did this to you, but also uttering understandable phrases like "help me, help me" and "I'm thirsty" and "I'm cold."

SO... bottom line for me anyway, although in a clinical or theoretical sense Jessica's injuries should have prevented any normal person from being able to speak intelligibly, that tough and spunky little ex-cheerleader who knew how to "gut it out" apparently went ahead and did it anyway. Adrenaline rush, after-effects of marijuana, a determined spirit, or a combination of the three -- who can say. But enough others have already said -SHE- said, and that IMHO means the prosecution has failed to deprive Darla of the defense that worked so well for her last time. Already the seeds of doubt are planted.

Worried,
Clouseau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads