MS MS - Jessica Stacks, 28, missing from boat on Tallahatchie River, 1 Jan 2021

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by swedeheart, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Gigi3

Gigi3 Well-Known Member

Great post- very thought provoking. The story is so strange, IMO.

The only way I could see “cutting off” boots would be to cut them away from attached wader bibs. I still can’t make that make any sense. The temperatures across the south have been too cold to be without proper clothing, especially foot wear. In that environment, why get rid of your boots? I’m stumped (if I believe the story, which I don’t) o_O
    MOO

2. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

So you’d need a decent knife to cut off a muck boot. A thin plastic boot would be easier to cut.

And if you’re in the predicament of being stuck in the mud that bad and your boot is so tight you can’t pull your foot out - are you going to calmly bend down to saw at your boot with the blade facing your leg? I’ve been stuck several times in the mud and when I went to walk forward my foot came out leaving my boot stuck.
    Something about the boot story is off.
    JMO

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  3. Bridger

Bridger Well-Known Member

Good comments on this thread. Just want to add that at one time in my life I carried around two bags. One was my purse and the other was a small tote for when I had some extra time in, say, carpool line or at an appointment. The tote contained reading material, snacks, cards, crossword puzzles, that sort of thing. My husband would probably have referred to the second bag as my purse, even though it really wasn’t. Perhaps something like that is what remained in the boat. I can imagine many women saying something like, “Ok. I’ll go with you, but I’m taking my knitting so I’ll have something to do in the boat.” Not saying that’s what happened, just that it would explain a “purse” being left behind.

DeDee, MadMcGoo, Marg from Oz and 9 others like this.
  4. daytime obsession

daytime obsession Member

These are my exact thoughts as well.....Quite a few things don't sit well with me in this one, but I can't get past these two things AT ALL.

5. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Armchair Detective

I hear you! I take my crochet bag everywhere if I'm going to be sitting for any length of time.

Hoping for news of progress in this case soon. What has happened to you, Jessica?! Surely LE is busy behind the scenes...MOO

6. ElementalLaura

ElementalLaura Well-Known Member

Good thought! If they were in a jon boat, you’d assume if you’ve been in one before that it’s going to take on a bit of water from paddling (since there’s no motor), fishing, hunting, and water just getting splashed into the boat. For a multi-hour trip, you’d assume a cooler or some refreshments. If anyone had to go to the bathroom off-boat, that would involve tracking more water and mud into the boat.

Since she seems to have been familiar with these sorts of trips, I doubt she would have brought anything nicer (like crocheting etc) with her due to possibility of it getting mucked up. MOO. It is interesting the purse was still there. I wonder if they brought a cooler or any snacks. MOO.

DeDee, dcfi224, Marg from Oz and 10 others like this.
  7. carterkatt

carterkatt Well-Known Member

Thanks, Quill... (sorry I didn't give you credit for the "every Mississippi girl has boots" comment! ;)...) I agree w/ you also on the purse. From conversation on here.. most women/girls would not carry a purse on a boat. Wonder if she was ever ON the boat? Might "someone" have pretended she was on the boat and thought.. hey... I'll take her purse and put it on the boat, because that'll "prove" to everyone that she WAS on the boat, because a woman is never without her purse!!!

8. Quill

Quill Well-Known Member

Oh gosh, no credit needed! I just mentioned it as kind of a "disclosure" statement.

I *really* do wonder if she was ever on that boat and I am thinking exactly what you are thinking about that purse. ;)

9. lonetraveler

lonetraveler Crime Addict

Yep, I agree. The one and only time I went to get oysters I got stuck in the oyster mud and ended up having to pull my foot out of the boot and just leave the boot buried in the mud.

10. azure

azure Well-Known Member

I think your theory makes more sense than the boots being cut off of her. I truly can't see any point for her or a possible perp to cut them off, if stuck in mud you could step out of them (if you can get into them, I think you can step out), and if you've got a body to discard, you just leave the boots on it.

11. Gigi3

Gigi3 Well-Known Member

That’s exactly what I was thinking! I can only visualize cutting off boots attached to something like a neoprene wader set(we have some for duck hunting), but then, when I try to imagine that scenario- it still doesn’t make much sense?

I guess, like so many other posters, the story just doesn’t add up. Of course, we don’t actually know the WHOLE story, so there’s that! o_O
    MOO

12. Ms. Fletcher

Ms. Fletcher Well-Known Member

A couple thoughts I wanted to throw out there if one were trying to reconcile pieces of the story that don't seem to add up.
    As I saw someone bring up, but it kind of got buried in the thread, she may have had shoes under the boots. Getting them on with shoes on may have been easier than getting them off. This may explain cutting them. Especially if she stepped/fell in too deep water and decided walking with water filled boots was no bueno.

Regarding the purse. I wonder if she took her purse more because she needed/wanted to have it with her before and after the trip but didn't feel comfortable leaving it with the person that dropped them off. Her phone would probably have been password protected and would only be useful to that person to answer a call.

Leaving it in the boat could have been as simple as she forgot to grab it when getting out, especially if she was concentrating on getting out quickly or trying not to fall in the water.

13. Gigi3

Gigi3 Well-Known Member

That is a definite possibility, about the shoes and boots, but then I wonder why discard the coat too? I would love to believe this girl just got mad and needed a break away or something, but it sure doesn’t look good at this point! JMO.

14. lonetraveler

lonetraveler Crime Addict

You are right of course, under normal circumstances. Under these circumstances, I'm bewildered that she just happens to have a pocketknife with her but leaves her phone with another man, leaves her purse and backpack in the boat. IMO, if she was ever in the boat to begin with, she left the boat in an either "fight or flight" mode. If she had actually reached the road, she most likely would have flagged down a car and had them take her to the man who had her phone or she would have had someone let her use their phone to call someone to come pick her up. She most likely would not have voluntarily left her purse and backpack.

15. MrsWatson

MrsWatson Well-Known Member

So much of this just doesn't make sense.

And the boots? Being cut off? What the what??

16. Catmommy

Catmommy I see more than I say

As someone else hypothesized, if the boots were forced on a larger foot just to leave footprints to back the story given then it makes sense that they would have to be cut off the person wearing them when they couldn't be slid off normally. Mucking about in muck, I, too, have become trapped by sucking mud. My feet came out of the boots easily and the boots remained upright in the gunk. Boots stuck on a larger foot, a foot they weren't meant for in the first place, could need to be removed by cutting after the prints were laid. I see no other logical answer.

17. Spider92

Spider92 Well-Known Member

Union County sheriff not giving up search for missing woman Jessica Stacks despite 20 days without results
    Sheriff Jimmy (I keep thinking of that song "Jimmy Jimmy" by Ric Ocasek) seems to have turned over every stone looking for Jessica.....kudos to him. I find it odd that none of the stories mention the boots. Finding no body also makes me wonder if she was really ever anywhere near that river. If that turns out to be the case, I'd be pretty annoyed if I was Sherriff Jimmy (or one of his taxpayers).

18. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Vanished New Albany woman has Chickasaw ties

I am going back and reading articles I might have missed, just reread this one.

Recently divorced (a year ago) with three children. Did she drop off her children on New Years Eve to her ex? Her mom? When was she supposed to pick them up?

And why was she still carrying around Christmas presents from her mother in January in a backpack? Why not take them home?

19. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Armchair Detective

Bumping for Jessica.

Marg from Oz, misgrn, Flicka1 and 4 others like this.
  20. Tarika

Tarika One of the snoop sisters