Deceased/Not Found MS - Jimmie "Jay" Lee, 20, University of Mississippi student, drove away from apartment, Oxford, 8 Jul 2022

Thursday will be four weeks since Ole Miss student Jimmie “Jay” Lee went missing after leaving his Campus Walk apartment wearing a robe and slippers.

Two weeks later, a Grenada man and recent Ole Miss grad was officially charged with Lee’s murder; however, Lee’s body has not yet been found, according to Oxford Police Chief Jeff McCutchen.

“We are still working leads and searching for Mr. Lee’s body,” McCutchen said Tuesday morning. “We cannot comment on the specifics of the investigation at this time. What we can say is that we have a full team still working hard on this case. We are still asking the public for any help that might lead to locating Jay.”

Lee, who studied social work at Ole Miss, ran for Homecoming King in September on a platform of “self-love and living your truth.” He graduated with his bachelor’s degree in May and was planning on attending graduate school at Ole Miss this fall.

Investigators have not said how they were able to charge Sheldon Timothy Herrington Jr., 22, of Grenada with murder without a body since those are details of the case that have not yet been made public.

Sheldon-Timothy-Herrington-Jr..jpeg

Herrington appeared in court last week for his first-appearance hearing where the charge of murder against Herrington was formerly read by Circuit Court Judge Gray Tollison.

Herrington’s bond hearing was continued until 10 a.m. on Aug. 9 in Oxford at the request of his attorney Kevin Horan. Herrington is being held at the Lafayette County Detention Center until his bond hearing.

According to Herrington’s Facebook page, he is the owner of T&T Moving Co. and graduated from the University of Mississippi in May with a BBA in Real Estate. While at Ole Miss he served as treasurer for the UM Gospel Choir.

The case is expected to go before the grand jury in August for a formal indictment.

For any tips, contact OPD at 662-232-2400, UPD at 662-915-7234, CrimeStoppers at 662-234-8477, or direct message them on social media.
One month without a body - that does not bode well. This is where I start worrying about dumpsters and landfills and never finding him. :(

One month without a body - that does not bode well. This is where I start worrying about dumpsters and landfills and never finding him. :(

I guess they have to protect the case, but it seems like the cops are being a little too quiet on this. It seems like it would be much easier to find Jay if we had some info (from witnesses, cell phone data, etc.) about Harrington's movements that day/the following day. Oxford is a decent sized town but go about 5-10 miles in any direction and it's rural <modsnip> . Needle in a haystack situation if they can't narrow it down at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple thoughts I have. Does any know if Herrington was a hands-on-mover or simply owned the company and hired out all of the labor? I also wonder if he mostly did local moves or longer distances - like 2 hours or even many more than that?

I would think the suspect is smart enough not to talk, but didn’t the original charges come from a confession? Can’t remember if that part is correct or not. If so then he confessed but then stopped talking? If that’s the case then I worry more about the possibility of him getting out of this. Not quite sure how all of that works but I’m guessing they have enough circumstantial evidence to arrest, but probably not enough without locating Jimmy, especially if Herrington says he confessed because he was scared, alone, etc.

Thankfully the FBI is helping.

I cannot imagine what Jimmy’s family is going through. I’ve heard that the worst that can happen to a parent is to have your child die before you.

Even before losing my daughter a couple years ago, I always disagreed with that. The worst is a missing child and the not knowing. At this point, Jimmy is presumed deceased but I wish the suspect would at least give the family some peace and share where he’s located.

Couple thoughts I have. Does any know if Herrington was a hands-on-mover or simply owned the company and hired out all of the labor? I also wonder if he mostly did local moves or longer distances - like 2 hours or even many more than that?

I would think the suspect is smart enough not to talk, but didn’t the original charges come from a confession? Can’t remember if that part is correct or not. If so then he confessed but then stopped talking? If that’s the case then I worry more about the possibility of him getting out of this. Not quite sure how all of that works but I’m guessing they have enough circumstantial evidence to arrest, but probably not enough without locating Jimmy, especially if Herrington says he confessed because he was scared, alone, etc.

Thankfully the FBI is helping.
AFAIK there has been nothing about a confession. Do you have a link for that?

IMG_1512-min-1024x683.jpg

Porsha Lesure, Adrian Word, Carson Hervey and Braylyn Johnson are members of the University of Mississippi Class of 2022, making them classmates of both Lee and Herrington. They described being shocked by other classmates who showed up in support of Herrington.

“How can you be so delusional?” asked one of the students.

The former students are planning more events through “Justice for Jay Lee,” including at Herrington’s rescheduled bond hearing.

Bond hearing postponed for man charged with student’s murder - The Daily Mississippian (thedmonline.com)

IMG_1502-min-750x500.jpg

Jay is so very loved.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

I just did a search of this thread and several MSM articles, and can't find a confession anywhere. His original attorney stated he was innocent multiple times in MSM immediately following his arrest. I can't find any info though about what potentially led LE to arrest Herrington, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK there has been nothing about a confession. Do you have a link for that?

Thanks for this. I’ll have to dig a little further when I get more time. Not sure where I got that from and hopefully it’s not misinformation on my part.

I found this video, so perhaps that’s where I got confused at. Not sure.

At 1:25 the reporter says that Jimmy’s sister says “the police told her family that Herrington made a confession to ‘doing something’ but they (the family) were also in the dark about what exactly that something was”.

Thanks for this. I’ll have to dig a little further when I get more time. Not sure where I got that from and hopefully it’s not misinformation on my part.

I found this video, so perhaps that’s where I got confused at. Not sure.

At 1:25 the reporter says that Jimmy’s sister says “the police told her family that Herrington made a confession to ‘doing something’ but they (the family) were also in the dark about what exactly that something was”.

I just can’t get that smug mugshot out of my mind. It makes me angry.

This hearing has presented a lot more detail than we have had previously.
Pulling quotes from your article:

"The court appearance was originally believed to only be a bond hearing, during which a judge would either grant or deny him a bond. The judge did deny a bond."

"Much of Tuesday’s testimony came from Oxford police detective Ryan Baker.
The detective said Lee and Herrington had sex at Lee’s apartment before sunrise on July 8.
He said the two got into an argument and Herrington left.
Baker testified Lee and Herrington had a Snapchat conversation prompting Lee to come over to Herrington’s apartment expecting a sexual favor."

"Police believe Herrington strangled Lee and got rid of the body somewhere between Oxford and Grenada.
Baker said police used cadaver dogs and got hits in Herrington’s apartment, his SUV and a box truck Herrington has for his moving business.
Police believe the truck was used to transport the body."

IMO, there is cctv footage to support the movements and social media to support the conversations.
I hope they find JJL soon, they deserve a proper burial, his family & friends deserve closure and TH deserves to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

JMHO

"The court appearance was originally believed to only be a bond hearing, during which a judge would either grant or deny him a bond. The judge did deny a bond."

The detective said Lee and Herrington had sex at Lee’s apartment before sunrise on July 8.
Baker testified Lee and Herrington had a Snapchat conversation prompting Lee to come over to Herrington’s apartment expecting a sexual favor."

"Police believe Herrington strangled Lee and got rid of the body somewhere between Oxford and Grenada.
Baker said police used cadaver dogs and got hits in Herrington’s apartment, his SUV and a box truck Herrington has for his moving business.

IMO, there is cctv footage to support the movements and social media to support the conversations.
I hope they find JJL soon, they deserve a proper burial, his family & friends deserve closure and TH deserves to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

JMHO
Wow. That brutal and TH is cold hearted to not reveal where the body is.

JMHO
In the video I posted above, the journalist says something about footage of JL pulling in, someone running fast, and then footage of TH at a gas station getting into a car quickly. Not sure where that fits in with everything as it wasn’t mentioned in the article.

Apparently, today was not only a bond hearing but a preliminary hearing as well. Still going on at present. Several journalists tweeting about the evidence being presented. Here is a short update from one of the reporters during a recess. Only video allowed - no audio from courtroom.

Craig Ford WTVA
Update
Thanks so much for this … very informative! Wow TH googled “strangling” and how long it takes, after JL said he was coming over ….

Is there a way a way to read court transcripts in the USA???

Apparently, today was not only a bond hearing but a preliminary hearing as well. Still going on at present. Several journalists tweeting about the evidence being presented. Here is a short update from one of the reporters during a recess. Only video allowed - no audio from courtroom.

Craig Ford WTVA
Update
I am also assuming LE haven’t found JL’s mobile?? And that TH was smart enough to turn it off? From JL’s mother’s tracking app…. Also very intuitive of JL’s parents to drive to Oxford that same day, knowing something was very wrong ….

With the multiple cadaver “hits“, as per the article, the SUV and the Removals Truck and TH’s apartment …. I am wondering if JL wasn’t removed on the 8th July, but later??? As doesn’t it usually take approx 24hours for cadaverine to start to be released???

Was the drive by TH to his parents place on the morning of the 8th July actually alibi building, after the event??? (Rather than disposing of JL that day?? )

I am also thinking that TH may have used the cover of darkness (to dispose of JL’s body) rather than daylight after the approx 5:30am visit???

Thoughts??

Another article ….

The nearly six-hour bond hearing in Lafayette County Circuit Court shed major light on the continuing murder investigation.

At 5:54 a.m. on July 8th, police say Lee sent a Snapchat message to Herrington, telling him he was coming to his apartment.

At 5:56 a.m. investigators say there was a Google search on Herrington’s computer for “how long does it take to strangle someone?”

Snipped….

Kilpatrick also showed video of Lee’s car being driven into the Molly Barr Trails apartment complex. Seconds later, a man that police identify as Herrington, is seen walking across the screen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back