MS - LE at wrong address shoot, kill unarmed man inside home

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by bluesneakers, Jul 27, 2017.

1. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Active Member

Police at wrong address shoot, kill unarmed man inside home, lawyer says

Mississippi police who fatally shot man had wrong house, DA says

2. Loading...

3. HoneyWest

HoneyWest Active Member

What utter carelessness. "Woops, wrong house! Sorry to kill your husband! (and your dog?)" I believe Mr. Lopez was not holding a gun and that the cops came up with that story.

And people - yes they will shoot your dog even if the dog comes bouncing toward them wanting pats on the head and ear scratches.

4. bluesneakers

This link has video of the front door.

DA: Law enforcement may have gone to wrong house in deadly officer-involved shooting

5. bluesneakers

It should be easy enough to prove whether or not he was holding a gun. Looking at the images of the door though, to me it looks like it was probably closed or mostly closed when they shot him.

And then they put his wife in cuffs?!

6. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Well-Known Member

Holy moley! Why would they shoot through the door? It doesn't matter if he was wanted for a crime or not, his whole life now will be open to scrutiny.

7. bluesneakers

I'm just trying to imagine - the cops show up and shoot my dog, then they shoot my husband, then they handcuff me, hold me for an hour, take me downtown and then tell me "Oh yeah, we killed your husband. You're free to get your own ride home."

8. HoneyWest

HoneyWest Active Member

Sounds like an awful lot happened at the same time. I didn't catch it in the article - they must have been there to serve a warrant maybe? Or the guy had a warrant and was going to be picked up, they go to the wrong house, bang on the door and yell (manners are out the window for such things), Lopez opened the door enough for the dog to get out and get shot. They start shooting through the door and shot him to death. That's my guess, whether he had a gun in his hand or not.

9. bluesneakers

When they shot they must have believed they were at the right house and thought they were shooting at a violent offender:

10. HoneyWest

HoneyWest Active Member

Before killing someone, it's always best to double check the address. The guy they were looking for lived across the street.

11. bluesneakers

They were after Samuel Pearman who lives across the street.

According to the article he's still at large and they would appreciate it if he'd turn himself in.

http://wreg.com/2017/07/25/warrant-shows-police-at-wrong-address-in-deadly-southaven-shooting/

12. Jennifer17

I can quite imagine that happening. My dog used to squeeze out of the slightest gap in the door and I would try to close it but she was out while I was still trying to close it.

13. bluesneakers

14. Jennifer17

This is almost unbelievable, not not totally unbelievable. Why would they handcuff his wife, whose whole world they have just destroyed. They thought that they were on a DV call, and they cuff the wife and take her into custody?

15. Tawny

Tawny Bye

They did the same **** to Philando Castile's girlfriend (no handcuffs but put her in a squad car and then investigated her whole life).

There is a cancer spreading in precincts that has GOT to be treated before it becomes the absolute norm that an officer can randomly open fire on anyone. The ONLY way to treat it is to hold these officers accountable, investigation by outside agencies, and actual real convictions. Ugh.

What if there had been children on the other side of that door at Lopez's home!? Jesus on a pogo stick what the hell!?

16. Doghairrules

Doghairrules Active Member

This has to stop!!! It's just sickening and heart breaking. I hope his family sues the police department for everything they're worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Woodland

Woodland New Member

That's fine to say and should be said. But it's the taxpayers that foot that bill. No personal accountability for an officer - and that needs to change imo or nothing will ever improve. Jmo.

18. human

human Well-Known Member

Tears. Can you even imagine?

19. bluesneakers

Attorney: Mississippi man shot in back of head by police who were at the wrong house

20. DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan Active Member

I sometimes accidentally post on the wrong threads. But I don't come in shooting. Lol

But seriously. The domestic incident happened earlier in the day between another guy and his wife. So they had plenty of time to make sure to read the house number before approaching this wrong house.

21. Betty P

Betty P Active Member

So many questions. None of this is making sense.

The victim opened the door and had a gun. Why were there shots through the door?

The victim was shot in the back of the head. How do you have such good aim when you're shooting through a closed door?

Did the victim really have a weapon in his hand?

Were the officers wearing bodycams? If not, they should have.

Any dashcam video?

What are innocent people supposed to do to protect themselves from LE in these situations? If LE comes to your door in the middle of the night, check the windows first, don't open the door and call 911? Maybe call another law enforcement agency? Call the FBI? Call your lawyer? Call Homeland Security?

After these stories, I don't think I would go anywhere near the door if LE came knocking in the middle of the night. What if they break down the door anyway (as it looks like they did in this case)? It's terrifying. Innocent citizens have no protection in these situations. If police make a mistake and crash into your house, some innocent person will end up dead.

SMH.