Found Safe MS - Nathan Covarrubias, 14, autistic, missing from boarding school, Walnut, 29 May 2020

j_in_c

Reaction score
c93e4ea9-d270-4091-bef7-e6c4f3fe43f9-nathan_missing.JPG

Apparently went missing from a boarding school. Several news sources all reporting similar information:

Search for missing teen: Autistic boy last seen 4 days ago at Mississippi boarding school

Police searching for missing teen in Mississippi with mental disorders

Teenager missing from Mississippi boarding school, officials say

this is just sad he ran away Friday they didn’t report it till Sunday wth

I'm trying to put all of the pieces together here. His family lives in Texas and Nathan attends a boarding school in Mississippi. He simply walked away from the school on Friday and there is a picture of him doing so. Was he not noticed missing until Sunday or is that just when they reported him missing? Either way, I am shocked. How do you not know a child with special needs goes missing for two days OR how do you know he's missing but you don't report it? It's troublesome to me that he can just walk away from school. Am I missing something?

I hope he's just trying to find his way to his family, but I am terrified someone will take advantage of him. Do we know how long he has been attending that school?

This is SO concerning.
He is "intellectually below normal" according to his mother. The boarding school appears to be one of those reform camps (my opinion). There are so many concerns about this.
  • It appears Nathan was a child in need of additional supervision. If it took several days to report him missing, they either 1. weren't watching him as they should 2. Were hiding something.
  • It seems VERY inappropriate to send a child with autism and subaverage intellectual functioning to a school that focuses on "rebellious, addicted and defiant" young men. Kids with autism may be defiant, but that kind of environment doesn't work well for them. Kids with autism tend to be defiant because they don't know how to get their needs met or don't have the social skills. As a high school special education teacher that has helped parents with placement decisions, it just makes me so sad he was in this environment.
  • What was he trying to get away from? Kids with autism love routines and the familiar. They can wander, but if he had a history, he needed more supervision. Most of the teens in my classroom of kids with intellectual disabilities and autism are to be within my or my aide's vision every single moment from arriving at school til leaving, except for the restroom, in which some are in earshot and some may require assistance.
All of this is my opinion only. The school should have noticed him gone no less than 15 minutes after he disappeared and called the police IMMEDIATELY.

Shades of Serenity Dennard.
I was thinking that. I have lots of special needs family members, difficult decisions have to be made caring for them and many time resources are limited. My heart goes out to Nathans Mom.

The boarding schools web site brings up all kinds of concerns for me. "A plan for every day, a purpose for every moment"??? There are a lot of "moments" between Friday when he reportedly ran away and Sunday when it was reported. If this is true, I don't understand this and I hope there is an explanation or at least watchful concern for the rest of the children under their care. Please be OK Nathan....this is really scary. JMO

Can you point to me where it tells that he was not reported until Sunday?

One of the links in the opening is stating following

Nathan Covarrubias went missing from Summits View Boarding School last Friday.

Covarrubias was reported missing between 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. that day

Teenager missing from Mississippi boarding school, officials say
You have a really good point. I went back and reread the news accounts and the answers are varied:
Falkner camera catches person believed to be missing boy from Alcorn County boarding school
"Nathan was reported missing from Summits View Boarding School on Friday, May 29. The school is located approximately 9 miles from Walnut on County Road 772 in Alcorn County."

And this one which is probably the cause of the confusion??
Search for missing teen: Autistic boy last seen 4 days ago at Mississippi boarding school
"Nathan Covarrubias, 14, was last seen at 10 a.m. on Friday, May 29, 2020, leaving the property of Summit's View boarding school in Walnut, Mississippi, his mother said. (name snipped by me) Authorities are searching for Nathan Covarrubias, 14, who had been missing for four days on Monday."

Another posting but not news paper says it was 6 hours before he was reported.
So you are correct, we really do not know the exact timeline.

This is my first time to post on Websleuths, but my youngest son is autistic with intellectual disabilities, and sensory processing disorder. Also, we live about an hour away from where Summits View Ranch is located. I have not stopped thinking about Nathan since I became aware he was missing.
Yesterday, I saw a post that listed items needed and where to drop them off. I immediately knew I wanted to help. Around 3:30pm, my mother, my youngest son, and myself, loaded my car and made the trip to Walnut, MS. The entire trip I couldn't wrap my head around many things;
(I am not judging his parents or any parents situation on handling hard decisions concerning their children. These are only my thoughts as a mother)
The school is in Walnut, MS and Nathans home/family live in Texas. (I could not be that far away from my child but I understand other parents may be able too).
Summits View Ranch is a boarding school for ”at-risk, rebellious, and troubled teen boys.”
Nothing I have read indicates they specialize solely on special needs children.
Nathan is autistic, bipolar, and has disruptive mood dysregulation.
We all know teens in general can be assholes.
The hardest part for me to understand is why his parents decided on this boarding school? There are plenty of schools that solely focus on special needs children with psychologist and teachers trained for their needs.
This sweet boy was hundreds of miles away from his family.
He was surrounded by ”normal” rebellious teen boys.
Who could he relate too?
We all know what ”mean kids” do to ”different kids” in regular schools!
In my heart, I am trying not to judge, I am sure they did what they thought was best for him, but it's hard for me.
This place is surrounded by woods and more woods. I can only hope and pray he is finding ways to survive and is found soon. :(
P.S. If this is against rules, I sincerely apologize.
MOO?? Is this right?;)

"A flyer distributed says Covarrubias was reported missing between 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. on May 29. School officials did not contact law enforcement until around 7 p.m. that night, according to Alcorn County Sheriff Ben Caldwell. Officials initially felt the boy had run away, so the media was not contacted until Sunday.

Caldwell said a person identified walking in Falkner on Saturday was not Covarrubias and that they're looking at some possible sightings in Tippah County that were reported on Monday."
Here's what we know about missing teen Nathan Covarrubias
Daily Journal, June 3 2020

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong