MS - Sr. Margaret Held & Sr. Paula Merrill, murdered, Durant, 25 Aug 2016 *Arrest*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by MsArk, Aug 25, 2016.

1. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

2. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

Good point. If it was two teenagers, I doubt both can keep secrets. Rather, they will tell somebody sooner than later.

I am also thinking of this possibility:

Not only did the nuns not have any valuables, but they would not have resisted a burglary. They might not even report one, so long as nobody got hurt and the persons left upon being noticed. My guess is that not only did every loser in the neighborhood know that burglarizing the clinic was not worth their time, but actually robbing elderly nuns does not do one's "street creds" any good. This could reduce the chances of it being two young attackers with an economic motive.

Stabbing might suggest a more personal motive. The nuns ran a health clinic and also did counceling. The murderer might have gone to the clinic regularly and hoped that the nuns could help him obtain prescription drugs for his habit. He then flies into a rage when then nuns can't, or won't provide the demanded drugs. Likewise, he could also be a disturbed individual who regularly sought counceling from the nuns, then suddenly attacks them for reasons that only he can understand.

3. Ray_of_hope

Ray_of_hope Verified registered nurse

ITA. How deplorable. The world has gone mad!

4. ALansby

ALansby Active Member

Sadly, I see robbery and drugs in the past/present of both of the perpetrators...this is beyond tragic.

5. Willow Knight

Willow Knight Well-Known Member

Agree. Drugs. Horrible loss to many people that depended on their help. RIP sisters.

6. Flatbush

Flatbush Active Member

I am hoping there is a good investigating team there, I am not familiar with the area. I pray they catch those responsible.
    So much violence, I just want to shut my door and never leave. Never used to be this way. So very very sad.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

7. kkricket

kkricket New Member

8. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native - now residing in Jacksonville

Thank you for posting this; so glad to see there was an arrest. Another version has a pic of the suspect, but nothing else new.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...pital-murder-killing-mississippi-nuns-n638651

9. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

10. Cryptic

Thank goodness for the arrest. One of the police statements seems to suggest that robbery might not be the motive. One thing that strikes me is how even the most experienced can still fall victim to violence.

The murdered nuns had been doing this work for thirty years. They were not doing this mission on a lark while ignoring dangers. I have worked with a variety of non cloistered nuns and friars in poor areas over the years. Whether they wore habits (religious conservative groups) or they did not wear habits (religious progressive groups), they were all very pragmatic and very good judges of human nature. All of them were very observant regarding people and environments. Their vows of poverty probably help- cant buy a lot of distractions, so they observe and interact with people all the time.

These victims had a very good feel for who was dangerously disturbed, verse who was simply had mental issues, who was a dangerous addict and who was just dazed and confused and who was criminally dangerous verse who is just a small time pilferer / street hustler. Yet, despite this experience, they still fell victim to a horrible crime. It is just awful.

ALansby likes this.
  11. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

12. fred&edna

From links:

"Sanders was developed as a person of interest early on in the investigation," Lt. Colonel Jimmy Jordan said in the statement.

AND

"Their stolen car was found abandoned a mile from their home, and there were signs of a break-in, but police haven't disclosed a motive."

Would it seem reasonable to assume he could have been a patient at the clinic where the sisters' worked?

13. Elley Mae

bbm, First I have seen this word used this way. jmo idk

14. fred&edna

Anyone know if Sanders has ties to Gulfport, MS??

15. Elley Mae

16. Cryptic

Maybe, but maybe not.

The clinic was in a nearby town. Furthermore, some of the nuns that I have worked with, including Mother Theresa's group, must be fully accessible to the poor. That means, they keep an "open house" and will receive people in the front part of their home during visiting hours. These hours range from the morning to the evenings, and even at night- though not too late.

From what I have seen, such nuns get a number of such drop by visitors seeking a variety of assistance (and probably a few scammers) , prayers, others drop off donations, or are just lonely and wanting to talk to somebody. Thus, the perpetrator could well from the neighborhood who had dropped by their home before.

17. fred&edna

During the course of the interview, agents with the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation obtained enough information to charge Sanders.

MBI Director Lt. Col. Jimmy Jordan said Sanders was a person of interest early in the investigation. Authorities have not released information on how he was implicated or what his connection to Merrill and Held might have been.

"Right now there's really still a long way to go," Strain said. "We're holding off on saying anything else tonight. We just wanted everyone to know that he's off the street."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...charged-capital-murder-nun-slayings/89467046/

18. GeeEm

GeeEm New Member

August 27, 2016
    1:31 PM CDT

[​IMG]

Authorities said late Friday night that Rodney Earl Sanders, 46, was developed as a suspect after "an exhaustive interview Friday evening."

Sanders is being held in an undisclosed detention center awaiting his initial court appearance.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...charged-capital-murder-nun-slayings/89467046/

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks to fred&edna's link of the Clarion Ledger

19. Lmustang89

Lmustang89 Well-Known Member

Hoping in prison he is very low on the totem pole for what he did :(

ALansby likes this.
  20. colette

colette Well-Known Member

I wonder if the women were targeted because they were nuns? Makes me think about Rev Carol Daniels.