MSU professor strips naked in classroon and runs down hall screaming

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Jan, Oct 2, 2012.

1. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

Aren't there any federal laws that say a class has to be taught. It doesn t sound like the man is well enough to do that from reports.

2. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

In US, grants and research money are not "perks." It's something that a professor has to compete for. And there is a lot of competition-and not enough money to go around.

3. deca

deca New Member

And I know that at least at UCLA and The Ohio State University, a professor has to pay for parking. I don't know why- that just seems dumb. But I know some other professionals in big cities have to pay for parking as well. I just don't get why that is...oh well. I guess this is all off topic anyways.

I will let you in on another little secret: most dedicated profs work about 350 days a year. That was a big surprise for sure. I thought there would be more vacation/leisure time for sure. Only a little bitterness here, folks. At least there is job security once there is tenure...

4. Nova

Nova Well-Known Member

It depends on the institution. So-called "research universities" often emphasize publishing (including lab work) over classroom performance.

5. Nova

Nova Well-Known Member

Yep. I paid for parking every quarter I taught at UCLA and was grateful to do so. There is no street parking within a half-mile or more of the campus.

6. Nova

Nova Well-Known Member

I don't know that $100K/year is so "tidy" for a full professor with years of experience when a beginning, 25-year-old lawyer at a large corporate firm starts at $120K with the equivalent of an MFA.

Maybe hourly teaching is worth $100/hour in the Sciences, but my experience teaching in the Arts at a Cal State school and a private California college was closer to $40/hour/week. And of course that only counts credit hours, not preparation, grading or private counseling of students. (You are right, of course, that were I famous, I might have negotiated for more.)

Likewise the perks vary widely depending on the university and its funding. There are far fewer grants in the Arts and Humanities because large corporations aren't using the Art Department to do their R&D.

7. Hejlena

Hejlena Former Member

Jmo, but i think those who posted his naked picture ought to be disciplined by the university if possible. What a disrespectful, inhumane thing to do. Just shameful.

8. sleuthin4fun

sleuthin4fun Active Member

Hejlena, Not sure how these students would be disciplined by MSU, but I would say that the professor could file some sort of complaint. It is my understanding that he is a brilliant man. Sounds to me as if something is terribly wrong. Nervous breakdown, brain disorder, tumor........... Very sad.

9. anya

anya Well-Known Member

This really sad. I cant help but feel sorry for the poor man. :(

Sent with KFire via Tap-a-Talk

10. ATasteOfHoney

ATasteOfHoney Well-Known Member

This story reminds me of the movie "A Beautiful Mind" which was excellent and based on a true story of a professor with schizophrenia.
    So sad....

11. kgeaux

kgeaux New Member

I sure do hope that if I ever lose it and flip completely out, I do it in private.

Poor guy.