Found Deceased MT - Aiden Salcido, 2, parents dead in murder/suicide after police chase, Kalispell, 25 Jul 2019

My heart aches for Hannah’s Mom and family. These are unbelievably painful losses to bear. :(

It seems clear (to me anyway) that mental illness (and probably self-medicating) destroyed all three. Hannah’s (Ashley’s) Facebook page showed she has been suicidal. Daniel (Lester) seemed preoccupied with dark themes for whatever reason. We will likely never know why or how things got to this point. I suspect drugs tipped the balance, leading to crimes, impending prison sentences and a desperate “escape” to Montana...a downward spiral toward murder and suicide.

That being said, I’ve learned a lot of compassion from other members while following threads that ended in suicide. They have generously and honestly shared their personal experiences. They say that the unrelenting agony of depression causes thoughts to become distorted to the point that they often truly believed that everyone would be better off without them. Suicide irrationally seemed to be the only way to end the pain and actually seemed to be an unselfish act to the one committing (or attempting) suicide.

I would prefer to think that whoever killed Aiden believed, in their mental illness, that they were sparing him a miserable life. That certainly doesn’t excuse killing him and leaving him in the woods, but it might explain it. We see so much evil done to children, I just can’t bear to think Aiden’s death was cold-blooded murder.

What is the reasoning for this?

The policy at Websleuths is to avoid spreading rumors because they can harm innocent people. Often they are untrue. So, even if a post on a family member or friend’s social media page seems to be true, discussing it isn’t a risk Websleuths wants to take. A mod can probably explain it better.

My heart aches for Hannah’s Mom and family. These are unbelievably painful losses to bear. :(

It seems clear (to me anyway) that mental illness (and probably self-medicating) destroyed all three. Hannah’s (Ashley’s) Facebook page showed she has been suicidal. Daniel (Lester) seemed preoccupied with dark themes for whatever reason. We will likely never know why or how things got to this point. I suspect drugs tipped the balance, leading to crimes, impending prison sentences and a desperate “escape” to Montana...a downward spiral toward murder and suicide.

That being said, I’ve learned a lot of compassion from other members while following threads that ended in suicide. They have generously and honestly shared their personal experiences. They say that the unrelenting agony of depression causes thoughts to become distorted to the point that they often truly believed that everyone would be better off without them. Suicide irrationally seemed to be the only way to end the pain and actually seemed to be an unselfish act to the one committing (or attempting) suicide.

I would prefer to think that whoever killed Aiden believed, in their mental illness, that they were sparing him a miserable life. That certainly doesn’t excuse killing him and leaving him in the woods, but it might explain it. We see so much evil done to children, I just can’t bear to think Aiden’s death was cold-blooded murder.

Agree. Well said.

While we cannot discuss family member posts, Hannah/Ashley’s pages made frequent references to feeling alone except for her significant other and being miserable whenever they were apart for whatever reason. There is even a picture of him kissing her self-inflicted (I assume) cuts on her wrists.
Add that to what little we do know about her mental state, and the fact they both had felony warrants and jail time looming, it takes away a bit of the “why?” in my opinion. It isn’t logical to most of us, but maybe to them?
Daniel is more of a mystery but I feel it’s safe to assume he had something serious going on as well.

It’s awful to contemplate or to think of it this way, but a small part of me is glad that it was a gsw to the head and not him alone and wandering in the woods succumbing to elements or animals. I also worry about the time they were unaccounted for. I can’t imagine he was getting very good care. If not, I hope it happened sooner in their journey, rather than later.

It’s crushing to have to look for hope in such a dark way.

Aidens picture has been all over around here as I only live a couple hours from Medford. Our “local” news channel comes from Medford so this story is on continuously.... his eyes caught me. He looks so sad in his eyes. It just breaks me when I see his picture. But, I know that he is happy, playing and having so much fun now. I know he is laughing and giggling as he plays with all of his new friends. He has nothing to ever be sad about again.... he knows unconditional love now!
Smile little guy! Laugh and play! You are loved so much by so many!

I wonder how he was found so quickly, if they were really in a remote area. Probably not too far off the road, maybe someone had noticed their car parked there.

Why? I just don't get it. Maybe the "Safe Haven" law needs to include children up to age 12. (No teens though, there isn't enough room).

Seriously, maybe a "Safe Haven" option should be considered to include children of all ages. Not sure if this would have helped...

If "Safe Haven" laws existed to protect children they would absolutely have included children of all ages from the very first. These laws exist to feed the adoption racket, and that (and only that) is why only babies can be abandoned.

was the gun shot wound to the back of the head or to the front?

I would think the parents would shoot him from behind, to avoid the horridness, somewhat.

But he wouldn't have been able to do that himself.

Did they say where the wound was?

With all respect...there is absolutely no way a two year old shot himself. No way. I respect the 'victim' friendly rule and like to try my best to give people the benefit of the doubt but that is impossible here. These parents murdered their child and then committed suicide...likely because they knew they'd be (justifiably) imprisoned for life. All IMO.

Sorry, no, can't reach that far. First, the child's body was abandoned - by two living parents who took off and were subsequently stopped by LE, then both lied about their identities, then fled the scene. (I realize we don't know who shot the child or if the mother was under the control of the father). Only then were they found dead, after one committed murder against the other, then shot himself. This is on another planet far away from a distraught person who takes his or her own life and is the only person found dead.

Not going to get into personal issues other than to say, emphatically, that I'm sorry to see any association between people who commit murder, then take their own lives (to avoid consequences or capture), and someone who took only his or her own life in deep despair and tunnel vision.

I think if this was a 'let's spare the child a miserable life' in some deranged act of 'compassion', the parents would have been found dead right beside him. Or he would have been found alive and safe somewhere, and they would be the only ones dead. In this case, two murders, with a passage of time between them and after a flee from law enforcement, occurred before there was a suicide. That's a lot of moving parts and geography to be associated with someone feeling so hopeless and despairing, he/she died by suicide (and everyone else lived). JMO

Many cases we are a part of feel like they are the worst of the worst...and then we hear another case that just twists our hearts into more knots. When will this end? When do parents quit killing their babies and strangers quit going on massive murder sprees? :( My heart is broken. Broken.
Reading about events like this is the price one pays for being on this forum. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. As for when will it end? Never, and the more people on this earth, the more numerous these types of crimes will be.

That last article that was linked stated the toddler was found "away" from their campsite (not at the campsite).

Wonder why.....

Absolutely horrible! Kid did not deserve to die. Had a bad feeling with the parents history. Sucks, but at least the remaining family can bury the child and hopefully fight on. Horrible but over..

It is so hopeless sometimes. I have met many homeless parents, and if they truly wanted what was best for their children, they would give them up. The problem is that benefits are often tied to "family support services". So, the child is a vehicle to benefits.

Does anyone seriously think that mentally ill homeless people who have felony offenses, are "good" parents? Why did this little boy slip thru the cracks, and stay with these folks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back