MT MT - Ivy Marie Leinen, 11, Poplar, 14 March 2010

I don't think the case was ever closed... They never found her body. She is assumed deceased because of the circumstances involved, but Ivy is still "missing".

ETA: NCMEC also "re-issued" her poster today.

Searching for Ivy

Family members keep pushing to find girl who disappeared in March

Since her daughter’s disappearance, Anita Leinen says life is “frustrating.” Winter is approaching, there’s been no sign of Ivy Marie Leinen’s body, presumed to be underneath the waters of the Missouri River since March.

Yet she isn’t giving up. “It feels like the rest of the world moved on,” she said by telephone Sunday. Seven months have passed since law enforcement officials said they believe Ivy’s death was by drowning. The 11-year-old girl, they said, likely fell through the river’s ice while going on a walk near her home, 60 miles northwest of Sidney.

“I’m really the only one actually trying to keep a search going,” says Anita, who is still grieving the loss of her child. The last search was conducted in June. Anita’s parents, she said, want to move on and don’t believe Ivy’s body will be found. “I don’t believe that. I mean, if you can find people in the ocean, you can find somebody in a river,” she said. “I just think it’s a matter of people to keep trying.”

[snip]

A website, www.dstarar.110mb.com, was created in Ivy’s honor. The site posts news updates on the search and new information. A scholarship program has also been set up, with $1,000 awarded to a relative of Ivy’s for art because she loved it and Anita wanted to send her to art school.

She’s also working on an article with the Billings Gazette focusing on bullying as well as hoping to set up a school program in Culbertson to address the issues of bullying.

Much much much more: http://www.sidneyherald.com/articles/2010/10/26/news/doc4cc73cf95f94b377493538.txt

doc4cc73cf95f94b3774935381.jpg

Searching for Ivy

Family members keep pushing to find girl who disappeared in March

Since her daughter’s disappearance, Anita Leinen says life is “frustrating.” Winter is approaching, there’s been no sign of Ivy Marie Leinen’s body, presumed to be underneath the waters of the Missouri River since March.

Yet she isn’t giving up. “It feels like the rest of the world moved on,” she said by telephone Sunday. Seven months have passed since law enforcement officials said they believe Ivy’s death was by drowning. The 11-year-old girl, they said, likely fell through the river’s ice while going on a walk near her home, 60 miles northwest of Sidney.

“I’m really the only one actually trying to keep a search going,” says Anita, who is still grieving the loss of her child. The last search was conducted in June. Anita’s parents, she said, want to move on and don’t believe Ivy’s body will be found. “I don’t believe that. I mean, if you can find people in the ocean, you can find somebody in a river,” she said. “I just think it’s a matter of people to keep trying.”

[snip]

A website, www.dstarar.110mb.com, was created in Ivy’s honor. The site posts news updates on the search and new information. A scholarship program has also been set up, with $1,000 awarded to a relative of Ivy’s for art because she loved it and Anita wanted to send her to art school.

She’s also working on an article with the Billings Gazette focusing on bullying as well as hoping to set up a school program in Culbertson to address the issues of bullying.

Much much much more: http://www.sidneyherald.com/articles...b377493538.txt

doc4cc73cf95f94b3774935381.jpg

I think this is a perfect case for TES. I know that in many cases people immediately suggest them, but this is one of those cases I think could really be solved with their involvement. Why is this mother alone in her search? It makes me want to go walk the area with her. I can't imagine not knowing where one of my babies is.

I think this is a perfect case for TES. I know that in many cases people immediately suggest them, but this is one of those cases I think could really be solved with their involvement. Why is this mother alone in her search? It makes me want to go walk the area with her. I can't imagine not knowing where one of my babies is.

I think Texas Equusearch is a great idea. Law enforcement must give consent for them to help, but since they have been "so busy" and the weather has not been cooperating, I don't see why they would turn them down.

There is a contact email on the memorial page for Ivy that she just set up (http://www.dstarar.110mb.com/). Would you like to contact her to recommend them? If not, I can do it.

My heart just completely broke for the mother in that article. And hearing that Ivy was bullied. And that she wishes her time here could have been better. And how she just feels so alone. :(

She - Just read this article when you posted it on FB and thought of TES as well. Such a sad, sad case. My heart is breaking for her mother. :(

I have sent Ivy's mother an email giving her the information about Texas Equusearch. I also told her to please know that Ivy is not forgotten, even by those of us who never knew her.

Here is a map of the area where Ivy lived and where she was last seen. The Missouri River flows West to East/NorthEast at this point.

IMLeinen.jpg

Does anyone know where they found the footprints leading to the river? Were they able to confirm that they were fresh footprints?

Here is a map of the area where Ivy lived and where she was last seen. The Missouri River flows West to East/NorthEast at this point.

Does anyone know where they found the footprints leading to the river? Were they able to confirm that they were fresh footprints?

Here is the statement from when they found her tracks. They seem pretty certain they were her tracks. Ivy had dogs with her when she disappeared, and they also found dog tracks.

Officers searched the area with tracking dogs into the night on March 14, the girl's tracks were located and lead across the frozen river to an island. After following the tracks on the island the tracks continued to the main channel of the river and to an area of open water. Leinen's tracks lead to the edge of the open water and no tracks were discovered leading back away.The tracks lead the officers to believe that the girl may have fallen into the water.

AND

The residence is on the Missouri River, and after searching the area with tracking dogs into the night, the girl’s tracks were located and lead across to an island. After tracking the girl’s tracks on the island, they lead searchers to the main channel of the Missouri River. The tracks of the girl and the dogs were found on the ice-covered river near an open water area. The tracks of the girl lead to the edge of the open area of the river and none were found to return. The girl’s and the dog’s tracks are such that searchers believe the girl may have fallen into the open water.

(http://www.sidneyherald.com/articles/2010/03/15/news/breaking_news/doc4b9e9f7d437f1855364874.txt)

This is so, so sad. Why do some cases get so much more attention than others?

Praying they find Ivy soon and that her family finds some measure of peace.

For The Missing: Pacific Northwest
Ivy Leinen has been missing from Poplar, Montana for 1 year today.

Charley Project - Ivy Marie Leinen - Poplar MT, 2010

‎11-year-old Ivy Leinen was last seen in Poplar, Montana on March 14, 2010. She left to take her dogs on a walk but never returned. The dogs came back 15-20 minutes later. Authorities believe Ivy may have fallen through thin ice into the Missouri River, but she has never been found.

For The Missing: Pacific Northwest
Ivy Leinen has been missing from Poplar, Montana for 1 year today.

Charley Project - Ivy Marie Leinen - Poplar MT, 2010

‎11-year-old Ivy Leinen was last seen in Poplar, Montana on March 14, 2010. She left to take her dogs on a walk but never returned. The dogs came back 15-20 minutes later. Authorities believe Ivy may have fallen through thin ice into the Missouri River, but she has never been found.

Still praying for Ivy and her family to have closure.

SWMNBN, do you know if Ivy's mother ever contacted TES? It's almost time for another thaw (I know here everything is gone, so I can't imagine MT would be very far off, maybe a month or two which would give TES time to organize...) So the water and the banks should be clear enough to search...

Sorry, But I don't get this....I lived most of my life in upper Wisconsin on the Wisconsin River

and if we had some one go through the ice,
we followed the river and waited and watched the flow...

DNR ( Department of Natural Resources) were always called in

and Silt an large hole gill nets were set up until the thaw

Then the rivers were searched again and sometimes dams were closed to assist in lowering the water to help with the search...

And if the months went on we would send out HRD Dogs up and down the river to see if they could locate the body.

Also the last washout area of the river was always monitored by the DNR for the presets of a body...

I don't see that anything like this was ever done.

Sorry, But I don't get this....I lived most of my life in upper Wisconsin on the Wisconsin River

and if we had some one go through the ice,
we followed the river and waited and watched the flow...

DNR ( Department of Natural Resources) were always called in

and Silt an large hole gill nets were set up until the thaw

Then the rivers were searched again and sometimes dams were closed to assist in lowering the water to help with the search...

And if the months went on we would send out HRD Dogs up and down the river to see if they could locate the body.

Also the last washout area of the river was always monitored by the DNR for the presets of a body...

I don't see that anything like this was ever done.

The Missouri River is a bit large to string a gill net across, and it's flowing through very remote territory up there.

The smallest part and Shallowest part of the river 200 ft across and 10 ft deep after the location where she went in..

Highway Bridge Roosevelt Co. Rd. 480

They could of put a net there...

Also to me this looks like a good place to search Where the bend is hairpin before it.

May I ask.... From Researcher... didn't They lived on the poplar river not the Missouri River...:waitasec:

I have two different locations they say where she went in.....:waitasec:

The smallest part and Shallowest part of the river 200 ft across and 10 ft deep after the location where she went in..

Highway Bridge Roosevelt Co. Rd. 480

They could of put a net there...

Also to me this looks like a good place to search Where the bend is hairpin before it.

May I ask.... From Researcher... didn't They lived on the poplar river not the Missouri River...:waitasec:

I have two different locations they say where she went in.....:waitasec:

She lived in the town of Poplar, Montana. But it was the Missouri River. (See some snips below.)

No matter what river it was, their search could have been better. It lasted only 3 days. And since then, the river has thawed, and they did not go back out and look more. Now another winter is coming to an end. We can only hope they will make an attempt to find her.

The residence is on the Missouri River, and after searching the area with tracking dogs into the night, the girl’s tracks were located and lead across to an island. After tracking the girl’s tracks on the island, they lead searchers to the main channel of the Missouri River.

http://www.sidneyherald.com/articles/2010/03/15/news/breaking_news/doc4b9e9f7d437f1855364874.txt

Authorities have ceased searching for a missing Richland County girl after finding footsteps that indicate she likely fell from ice into the Missouri River.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_6fdfccde-303f-11df-b785-001cc4c03286.html

:(

Sheriff Brad Baisch says he believes Ivy Leinen fell into the Missouri River and drowned while walking the family dogs near Poplar.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/ar...002/news01/Search+called+off+for+missing+girl

Poor dear sweet Ivy. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back