MT - James Hurley, 12, tortured to death, W. Yellowstone, Feb 2020 grandparents & uncle arrested #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Yellowstone woman sentenced to probation in connection to nephew's death

Jan. 30, 2021

A West Yellowstone woman was sentenced Friday to youth probation for her involvement in the death of her 12-year-old nephew almost a year ago, and she has agreed to testify against her parents who are charged in connection to the boy’s death.

Madison Sasser, 19, was sentenced to youth probation with the Montana Department of Corrections until she turns 21. After that she’ll be on adult probation until she turns 25.

At the hearing, Sasser admitted to felony aggravated kidnapping of James Alex Hurley. She appeared with attorney Elisabeth Montoya in Gallatin County District Court before Judge Peter Ohman. Sasser was tried as a juvenile.

As part of a plea agreement, prosecutor Bjorn Boyer agreed to drop a felony negligent homicide charge against Sasser. The charge could have carried up to a $50,000 fine and up to 20 years in prison.
[.....]
The plea agreement in Madison’s case is contingent on Madison’s cooperation with prosecutors and an investigation against James Sasser Jr. and Batts — each have cases pending in Gallatin County District Court in connection to Hurley’s death.

and darn - nothing on Sasser, jr's hearing in this article....

West Yellowstone woman sentenced to probation in connection to nephew's death

Jan. 30, 2021

A West Yellowstone woman was sentenced Friday to youth probation for her involvement in the death of her 12-year-old nephew almost a year ago, and she has agreed to testify against her parents who are charged in connection to the boy’s death.

Madison Sasser, 19, was sentenced to youth probation with the Montana Department of Corrections until she turns 21. After that she’ll be on adult probation until she turns 25.

At the hearing, Sasser admitted to felony aggravated kidnapping of James Alex Hurley. She appeared with attorney Elisabeth Montoya in Gallatin County District Court before Judge Peter Ohman. Sasser was tried as a juvenile.

As part of a plea agreement, prosecutor Bjorn Boyer agreed to drop a felony negligent homicide charge against Sasser. The charge could have carried up to a $50,000 fine and up to 20 years in prison.
[.....]
The plea agreement in Madison’s case is contingent on Madison’s cooperation with prosecutors and an investigation against James Sasser Jr. and Batts — each have cases pending in Gallatin County District Court in connection to Hurley’s death.

and darn - nothing on Sasser, jr's hearing in this article....

“Batts is scheduled to stand trial in May, 2022.

In a separate hearing on Friday, a Gallatin County judge set a 10-day jury trial for James Sasser Jr. to start Sept. 20.”

Geez, Batts not until May 2022?

Last edited:
“Batts is scheduled to stand trial in May, 2022.

In a separate hearing on Friday, a Gallatin County judge set a 10-day jury trial for James Sasser Jr. to start Sept. 20.”

Geez, Batts not until May 2022?

Thanks! I see that Jr.'s trial date was moved now from 3/29 to 9/20. I do have Batts trial on 5/31/22.

So - no hearing for Sasser Jr. before his trial? TIA! :)

Just bumping up - no new news on any court hearing dates comping up for any of them?

TIA! :)

Bumping up - any new news on these cases?

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif

This article I just saw has the dates for trial as:

Patricia Batts- trial set for May 2022
James Sasser Jr- trial set for Sept 20, 2021

Meanwhile, Sasser the Third was sentenced to the Montana Department of Corrections until he turns 18 and then will be on probation until he is 21.

Madison Sasser, Hurley’s aunt, was sentenced to youth probation and has agreed to testify against Batts and Sasser Jr.

The last person arrested in connection with an assault on Hurley, Gage Roush, was sentenced in December to probation.

https://www.kbzk.com/news/crime-cou...riff-reflects-on-case-of-tortured-12-year-old

@shotgun09 - thanks for that info, but I have all that info. I was wondering IF there might be court hearings before their trials coming up.

edited to add: Actually I do have an Omnibus hearing on 7/29/20 for Battis as her last hearing & James Jr.'s last hearing on 1/19/21.

Unfortunately can not access this article - if someone could give a 10% synopsis - it would very much appreciated - especially if it has any court dates in there! :)

Attorneys plan to challenge death penalty in West Yellowstone murder case

edited to add - the part I can see in my alert is this:

Patricia Batts appeared with defense attorneys Craig Shannon and Greg Jackson before Gallatin County District Court Judge John Brown on Friday ...

So - moving her to Friday, 6/11...

Friday, June 11th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ am MT) – MT – James Alexander Hurley (12) (found Feb. 3, 2020 deceased in living room, West Yellowstone) - for *Patricia “Trish” Lynn Batts (48/now 49) aka Patricia Sasser & Patricia Rone (paternal grandmother) arrested (2/12/20), charged (2/13/20) & arraigned (3/24/20) with 1 count of felony deliberate homicide. Charged (3/5/20) & arraigned (3/24/20) with aggravated kidnapping, criminal child endangerment & 1st degree strangulation. Plead not guilty to all charges. $750K bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial set to begin 5/31/22. (20 days)
James' info & Court info from 2/13/20 thru 3/24/20 reference post #888 here:
MT - James Hurley, 12, tortured to death, W. Yellowstone, Feb 2020 grandparents & 14 yo uncle arrest

5/8/20 Update: Prosecutor Bjorn Boyer has filed notice of intent to seek the death penalty for Batts, if she is convicted of deliberate homicide (the equivalent of first degree murder in other states). Omnibus hearing on 5/27. 5/27/20 Update: Defense attorney asked for more time. Judge rescheduled the Omnibus hearing to 7/29/20.
7/29/20 Update: Hearing was postponed. No further dates available. 12/31/20 Update: Batts' case is scheduled for a 20-day trial to start on May 31, 2022. Next hearing on 6/11/21. 6/11/21 Update: Batts appeared with defense attorneys Craig Shannon & Greg Jackson before Gallatin County District Court Judge John Brown on Friday. Defense challenging the death penalty.

Unfortunately can not access this article - if someone could give a 10% synopsis - it would very much appreciated - especially if it has any court dates in there! :)

Attorneys plan to challenge death penalty in West Yellowstone murder case

edited to add - the part I can see in my alert is this:

Patricia Batts appeared with defense attorneys Craig Shannon and Greg Jackson before Gallatin County District Court Judge John Brown on Friday ...

So - moving her to Friday, 6/11...

From the article, and BBM:

Defense attorneys plan to file motions by the end of October challenging the constitutionality of the death penalty in the case, although lawyers did not go into detail on Friday about their arguments.

Attorneys also agreed to move the start date for Batts trial from May 31, 2022, to June 1, 2022. Defense attorneys plan to file 14 other motions, including challenges to the constitutionality of capital punishment in the case, before the trail is scheduled to start.

Brown cautioned defense attorneys that the trial start date may not be moved to accommodate more time to file motions.

“Never say never, but we’re going to trial June 1,” Brown said.

From the article above:

"The lawyers also discussed Batts’ contact with Sasser III, which isn’t allowed in the criminal case related to Hurley’s death but is allowed in a separate, noncriminal matter related to her fitness as a parent.

Batts’ contact with Sasser III in the noncriminal matter has been in a courtroom, virtual and is allowed “in the sprit of reunifying the family,” Jackson told Brown at Friday’s status conference.".

Seriously? Reunifying the family? Sasser III needs to be kept as far away from his mother, Patricia Batts, as possible. This is a woman who normalized abusing a child. He was dead on the floor, and she called the police, expecting them to just haul away the body so she could finish her nap. That is how completely she had dehumanized James Hurley.

From the article above:

"The lawyers also discussed Batts’ contact with Sasser III, which isn’t allowed in the criminal case related to Hurley’s death but is allowed in a separate, noncriminal matter related to her fitness as a parent.

Batts’ contact with Sasser III in the noncriminal matter has been in a courtroom, virtual and is allowed “in the sprit of reunifying the family,” Jackson told Brown at Friday’s status conference.".

Seriously? Reunifying the family? Sasser III needs to be kept as far away from his mother, Patricia Batts, as possible. This is a woman who normalized abusing a child. He was dead on the floor, and she called the police, expecting them to just haul away the body so she could finish her nap. That is how completely she had dehumanized James Hurley.

I so agree with you @mickey2942 ! I can see just where this defense is trying to go....blame the big oof of a son ( Sasser III ) because he will get out in a few years, and this monster of a human being that called herself a mother and a grandmother skates away with a slap? I hope a jury in MT is smarter than that. She is evil personified in my eyes, and may she rot sooner than later.

I so agree with you @mickey2942 ! I can see just where this defense is trying to go....blame the big oof of a son ( Sasser III ) because he will get out in a few years, and this monster of a human being that called herself a mother and a grandmother skates away with a slap? I hope a jury in MT is smarter than that. She is evil personified in my eyes, and may she rot sooner than later.

Interesting. You have already laid out the defense. I can see that happening. I believe that Sasser II is going to get a deal, and flip on Batts. But, of course, then Batts can just say it was all him, or Sasser III. Along with Madison and the "Gentle Giant", both of whom received nothing but a wrist slap. Reasonable doubt everywhere. This family is right out of "Deliverance".

Interesting. You have already laid out the defense. I can see that happening. I believe that Sasser II is going to get a deal, and flip on Batts. But, of course, then Batts can just say it was all him, or Sasser III. Along with Madison and the "Gentle Giant", both of whom received nothing but a wrist slap. Reasonable doubt everywhere. This family is right out of "Deliverance".

From the same article above, it seems ( To Me ) the defense attorney for Batts wants the videos thrown out.....That is all of the evidence...clear as day.... It better not happen
She is a monster

"Defense attorneys also shared with prosecutor Bjorn Boyer copies of four motions challenging law enforcement searches related to their client.

Law enforcement say investigators found videos on a cell phone belonging to Patricia Batts and her teenage son, James Sasser III, of the family torturing Hurley."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member