Found Deceased MT - Jennifer Coleman, 34, on vacation from VA, hiking @ Glacier Natl Park, 30 Aug 2021

Is there a device that can be used as a long range metal detector? I'm sure she has some metal with her - cell phone, GPS watch, etc. I'm guessing that the old metal detector that folks would use on the beach could detect metal 3-4 feet away. Fast forward 40 years and I'm wondering if modern technology could expand that range to hundreds of feet?
There are some available online that say they will detect metal up to 200 meters away (a bit over 600 feet) but there are just as many warnings that such devices don't relly work. I worked 15 years as an air crash investigator. If we needed to find a chunk of metal that came off of a craft other than the final crash scene we walked a grid. There was no technology to help us and we had a fairly robust budget most years.

This hike would involve substantial elevation gain. That would concern me, too, not only because it makes the mind-bending hike more strenuous, but because some people cannot tolerate elevation. Maybe if they have several days to acclimate, but otherwise they might get into trouble.
A few years ago, I camped and then I drove through Rocky Mountain National Park and up that extreme pass. Maybe Iceberg? I was by myself. I got to the top and jumped out to go to the Visitor Center. One step, and I almost passed out. Absolutely splitting headache. I thought I would throw up. I was shockingly dizzy. I had the wherewithal to realize that it was altitude, and LE would almost certainly not let me drive if I passed out in the parking lot. I immediately jumped back in the car, and headed down the mountain. My head began to clear in a mile or so. About 2,000 feet lower and no more headache, but I was super freaked out.
So, yes, I do wonder if a hiker out of Logan Pass could get suddenly incapacitated by altitude.
PS Nothing would possess me to ever go back to RMNP. Every moment was misery for me, including the camping. I’d love to explore Glacier, though. At the foot of the mountains lol.
I know what you mean. It does take time to acclimate. However, I was surprised to learn that Glacier NP and Going to the Sun Road in Montana is no where near the elevation of Rocky Mountain NP and Trail Ridge Road in Colorado. RMNP reaches close to 12,000 at the apex (Fall River Pass) of that road, while elevation at Glacier and Logan Pass is 6466 ft. It does make quite a difference just those few thousand feet.

Checking Highline Trail, it reaches more like 7200 ft.

Do we know what gear is missing? Her campsite has been found but what was left there? For example, did she have a day hike pack she used? Is it gone? I’d like to know what was found there. And it’s too bad she didn’t tell someone which trail she was hiking. Ugh. I hike solo a lot but I always make sure someone knows my route. And there have been times I’ve changed my mind at the last minute so I let someone know. I just wish more people would do this when hiking alone.

<quoted post removed>

I don’t think there’s any evidence at all JC wore poor footwear. In the photo, imo, she appears to be with her dog in a campsite. She has no visible pack. She boarded her dogs for her technical hike, so would it not be logical that she also wore more appropriate shoes? The photo does not appear to be on a technical trail and I always remove my mountaineering boots in camp for the sake of comfort.

Vibram 5 fingers look like gloves for your feet and she appears to be wearing comfy, possibly waterproof, pull-on boots, not Chaco sandals. Her friends and family could speak to her gear and footwear, but I think it’s very likely she fell even if wearing appropriate footwear. There’s no evidence to blame a fall on anything else but a very steep and somewhat technical trail.

I just feel, as an experienced mountaineer, that we could be venturing into blaming her for making certain rookie mistakes when I see no evidence of that. Of course, with hindsight, it would be nice if she hiked with a companion or made other decisions, but these trails are particularly unforgiving and it’s my opinion that none of that would have saved her. I hope she is well and I am wrong. I hate that her family or friends are reading these comments and I hate the fate that I’m fairly sure has befallen her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm local so thought I'd post here. First, the Highline trail starts at Logan Pass. If you day hike it there are 2 ways to get back to your car. One, you can hike as far as you want and retrace your route. Most people go either to Haystack Butte (about 6 mi r/t) or to Granite Park Chalet (about 15 mi r/t). There is also the option of taking a steep side trail to the Grinnell Glacier overlook which would make the trip about 17 miles. I mention this side trail because there is a significant drop-off at the top.
From the chalet, you can instead take the Loop Trail down to the road (the place where the newlywed pushed her husband) but you don't come out at Logan Pass. This makes the hike shorter (about 11 miles) but you'd have to get on a shuttle or hitchhike back up the road to the Pass.
Literally hundreds of people hike the Highline every day in the summer. It would be very hard to fall, get lost, or encounter a bear without someone finding you quickly. There was a man missing on this trail 2 years ago, but it is widely thought to be a suicide situation. If you scrambled off the trail for some reason, and couldn't yell for help, you'd be a lot harder to find, but the trail itself mostly traverses open areas.
There is no cell service at Logan Pass. However you can get it sometimes at the chalet or encounter a random signal if you are high up.
If Jenn took the Dragons Tail route instead, she would have encountered many people on the first part of the trail that is on the Hidden Lake trail. I don't think she would have gotten lost per se on Dragons Tail but perhaps off route. I wonder also if she decided to continue down to Hidden Lake instead. I know all these areas are being checked. The weather has been good, cold at night and sunny during the day.
IMO.
Hope she is found OK.

Thank you for providing some insight to the area, helping explain the various locations mentioned and their relation to each other.
Sometimes it’s hard to visualize & understand locations when you’re not familiar with them at all.

She did have a day pack, but that doesn't mean she was prepared with emergency overnight gear.

Do we have any idea what type of brown slip-on boots she wore?

"She is 5’6” tall with blond, shoulder-length hair, and blue eyes. She may be wearing a tank top, spandex pants, sunglasses, brown slip-on two-toned boots, a turquoise and pink flower scarf, and a dark-colored daypack."
https://www.krtv.com/news/new-details-about-woman-reported-missing-in-glacier-national-park

These boots?

20210903_JENNIFER_COLEMAN_003.jpg

Teams Searching for Missing Woman Near Logan Pass - Flathead Beacon

Watching this story closely and praying that Jenn is found safely. I was in this same area of Glacier last year and also parked at Logan Pass. I was on the Hidden Lake Nature Trail which starts at the visitor center right by the Logan Pass parking lot.
If you haven’t been to Glacier, parking can be difficult and this is a very large & popular parking lot in a beautiful part of the national park.
I was there in July and a LOT of snow was still on the ground. Part of the trail was extremely narrow - just wide enough for your two feet- and rocky with a steep rocky vertical drop. A lot of people were going this way and a lot turned around when they saw how treacherous it looked. My better judgement told me to turn around but so many people were walking across this treacherous spot and saying how lovely it was and “it was worth it.”
I decided to go on and I made it across. After that horrible spot it was pretty even - regular hiking- nothing scary- but as I approached the overlook to the lake a game warden had areas roped off because of a grizzly bear sighting. The warden told me that grizzlies were regularly in the area and that a few days earlier he saw them across the lake playing in the snow and pulling fish from the lake. I saw a video of people running from a grizzly in the same area several weeks after my visit. The grizzlies congregate here because of the mountain goats & sheep. On my return to Logan Pass I had to cross the horrible area again and I actually fell down but luckily did not go over the edge. I just sat there in that awful spot for a few minutes, mustering the courage to continue. A nice gentleman offered me help. By the grace of God I made it across but it was truly scary. I don’t think my fall would have been fatal but I think I would have been injured badly had I gone over the edge. I would have rolled down a long, long way.
My daughter and I both talked about my incident that night and we still have nightmares about it.
And this was in a very well-traveled part of the park.
After a week of longer but much less treacherous hikes, I made another really stupid mistake at Glacier. On our last hiking day I planned a hike from the Sperry trailhead to Snyder Lakes and back (8.6 miles) after a few miles there was a fork in the trail leading to either Snyder Lakes or the Sperry Chalet. (12.6 miles r/t)
I told my daughter I was feeling so great and thought we should go to Sperry Chalet instead. I totally overestimated my fitness level. By the time we reached the chalet in the early afternoon I was exhausted. I asked if they had any extra rooms for the night and of course they didn’t. We had a drink and snack and turned back around. I knew I had to really work hard to make it back to the McDonald Lodge before dark (and before dinner orders were due.) I tore up my feet with blisters and felt really stupid for overdoing it. I had just wanted to make the very most my last full hiking day in Glacier and I impulsively chose the Sperry chalet trail (although that wasn’t where I had originally set out to hike.)
My main reason for supplying this long saga is fourfold:
1) Glacier National Park is stunning but even trails that are labeled “moderate” can have very dangerous spots
2) grizzly bears are definitely there and your “bear spray” needs to be ready in the very off chance you come “face to face” with one
3) we saw very few people on our hike to Sperry chalet (although the park was full of people) so you really shouldn’t hike alone without a buddy or companion. If an accident occurs and you are alone, you might not be found for a long time
4) sometimes a hiking itinerary can impulsively change- especially on your last full day of hiking- and you can overestimate your abilities. I wonder if Jenn can be found in a completely different area from the one where she originally intended to hike??
My heart goes out to Jenn and her loved ones.

The following is a press release from Glacier National Park Officials:

The body of a recently missing Richmond, Virginia woman has been located in Glacier National Park early this afternoon.

Jennifer Coleman, who was reported missing Wednesday, September 1, was found deceased in a steep and rocky area near the Continental Divide.

Rescuers will extract Coleman’s body when weather conditions permit. Air operations were halted today, September 5th due to high winds in the incident area. Coleman’s family has been notified.

Cause of death is currently under investigation.

Missing Glacier hiker found dead

This hike would involve substantial elevation gain. That would concern me, too, not only because it makes the mind-bending hike more strenuous, but because some people cannot tolerate elevation. Maybe if they have several days to acclimate, but otherwise they might get into trouble.
A few years ago, I camped and then I drove through Rocky Mountain National Park and up that extreme pass. Maybe Iceberg? I was by myself. I got to the top and jumped out to go to the Visitor Center. One step, and I almost passed out. Absolutely splitting headache. I thought I would throw up. I was shockingly dizzy. I had the wherewithal to realize that it was altitude, and LE would almost certainly not let me drive if I passed out in the parking lot. I immediately jumped back in the car, and headed down the mountain. My head began to clear in a mile or so. About 2,000 feet lower and no more headache, but I was super freaked out.
So, yes, I do wonder if a hiker out of Logan Pass could get suddenly incapacitated by altitude.
PS Nothing would possess me to ever go back to RMNP. Every moment was misery for me, including the camping. I’d love to explore Glacier, though. At the foot of the mountains lol.

Trail Ridge Road or Old Fall River Road? I am sorry to hear about your experience in RMNP. I live in Estes. Feel bad you had such a terrible experience.

I know what you mean. It does take time to acclimate. However, I was surprised to learn that Glacier NP and Going to the Sun Road in Montana is no where near the elevation of Rocky Mountain NP and Trail Ridge Road in Colorado. RMNP reaches close to 12,000 at the apex (Fall River Pass) of that road, while elevation at Glacier and Logan Pass is 6466 ft. It does make quite a difference just those few thousand feet.

Checking Highline Trail, it reaches more like 7200 ft.

Hey @zecats! Nice seeing you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back