Identified! MT - Missoula, Skeletal remains of 3 children in box, Sep'17 - Historic remains

The age range is off for those particular boys, but I think you intended to suggest the possibility of a similar scenario but with a younger set of boys.

I wonder how pathologists determined that the bones were from the last several years. Did they say whether they were able to date the box itself? The bones could have been moved from one container to another, but it would be nice to be able to say that the bones were placed in the box no earlier than XX-XXXX.

This is one of those cases where it hasn't been all that long since the remains were found, but I'm terribly impatient to see them identified.

The age range is off for those particular boys, but I think you intended to suggest the possibility of a similar scenario but with a younger set of boys.

I wonder how pathologists determined that the bones were from the last several years. Did they say whether they were able to date the box itself? The bones could have been moved from one container to another, but it would be nice to be able to say that the bones were placed in the box no earlier than XX-XXXX.

I hadn't seen where they had a time period in which they thought the parties were deceased. Last several years can mean almost anything, I guess.

Did they reveal it was boys? Do we know the time frames? I keep thinking of untreated kids from nearby states. Like Stephanie Crane. The rocks seem to me as if someone dug up a burial site. Can’t they track previous tenants ?

Looks like they live out of state

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yes. But it also looks like a the previous owner was a relative of the current owner, and it's possible she lived at the property.

Yes. But it also looks like a the previous owner was a relative of the current owner, and it's possible she lived at the property.

Missoula is a college town, and it's on the main -- almost the only -- highway through the state. It's in the heart of timber and mining areas. It's full of people who are only there for a short while. They aren't really transients but they aren't really local either. If the owners were renting the property out, over the course of five years, half a dozen people might have lived there, and that doesn't count spouses, roommates, and others.

The University of North Texas report suggests the bone samples found in Montana are "historical and archeological" in origin and are over 99 years old. They used advanced radiograph technology and dental record comparisons to come to their conclusions.

RBBM from the article posted Ozoner (thanks!)
Wow. Just wow. relieved but at the same time, mystified as to why someone had these remains.
It sounds like their graves may have been robbed. The good news is that if they can get DNA from the bones/teeth, they'll run through CODIS to see if they match any MP's.

Why would someone have these in the first place?

A graduate student or professor might have something like that for educational purposes. It's also possible that someone found them while digging.

Interesting, Kind of scary that someone would have bones that old especially since they are from children.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...d-in-montana-are-not-missing-skelton-brothers

"According to the report, the bone fragments and teeth had been buried for "some time" prior to being uncovered and exposed to the elements. The report narrowed the age windows for the three sets of human remains, finding that they belonged to:

• An individual 2-5 years of age
  • An individual 5-9 years of age
  • An individual 6-8 years of age
North Texas found that the 2- to 5-year-old individual and possibly some of the loose teeth were from a person of Asian derived Amerindian ancestry. "

My guess is either they:

1. Were dug up on a property. (Building a house, gardening, sewage pipes, etc). If they are that old possibly that's where they were at first laid to rest.
2. Found somewhere and kept. I've done that with deer skulls and animal vertebrae. In some historical cemeteries here some bone pieces erode to the surface. I don't know why anyone would keep those though, it's creepy!

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

This is one of those that seems likely to remain a mystery. There aren't even any cases on this list that make any sense if the remains are over 99 years old:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_disappeared_mysteriously
Now that we know how old the remains are, there's no reason to think the deaths were anything other than natural. Child mortality was still very high 100 years ago. The 1918 flu pandemic killed three to five percent of the world's population.

The Skelton connection did always seem pretty unlikely, imo. I'm glad it hasn't turned out to be another unsolved murder though. (I suppose we can't know that for sure, but as Ozoner has pointed out, at that time the death of multiple children sadly wasn't so uncommon.)

I hope these remains at least get a decent burial after all this time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back