Found Deceased MT - Selina (Selena) Not Afraid, 16, I-90 rest area between Billings & Hardin, 1 Jan 2020

I dont know. It might be a dangerous area, but i think that your odds of flagging down a passing car that doesn't contain a psycho are still pretty good. Better than freezing to death. Or at least stay with the other woman, and flag down a car. Or didnt the other woman have a phone? Someone said she did, but who knows if that is true. It just seems very odd for her to do what she alledgedly did, but people do inexplicable things all of the time. This case could easily be an innocent, sad accident. There are also a lot of odd and strange things about it as well.
In my time, I have traveled well over a million auto miles in the western United States, mostly alone. When I first heard that a girl had disappeared walking to Hardin from the Fly Creek Rest Stop, my exact words were: "I would never walk the Interstate highway shoulder, but would hike over to Old Hardin Road and follow it to Hardin, walking a safe distance away from the roadbed. That way, if she recognized a vehicle, she could run to the road and flag it down If someone that she didn't recognize slammed on the brakes, she would have a huge head start running away.

I think the search was predicated on the belief that she did just that, and it turns out she didn't. I have no guess what she was doing. JMO

To answer another question, in a different post, it is 19 miles from the rest area to Hardin. The mileposts in that stretch of I-90 make no sense at all. The distance from Milepost 474, just before the rest area turnoff, to Milepost 491, is exactly ten miles. Don't ask me where the other seven mile markers went. I drove that stretch the day after they finished putting them up, years ago, and don't remember seeing any extra green signs laying around. They must have already been ditched by that time. JMO

1/22/20 This is the site where Selena was found. BHCSO Undersheriff Eric Winburn is quoted in a 1/21/20 news article by KULR saying that she was hidden by *sagebrush so thick that you almost had to physically be walking over the area to spot her.*

If you look closely it looks like soil was removed for forensics. That area (unless they pulled up sagebrush) looks very open.

Attachments

• 012220.body.site.where.she.was.JPG
    012220.body.site.where.she.was.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 170
1/22/20 This is the site where Selena was found. BHCSO Undersheriff Eric Winburn is quoted in a 1/21/20 news article by KULR saying that she was hidden by *sagebrush so thick that you almost had to physically be walking over the area to spot her.*

If you look closely it looks like soil was removed for forensics. That area (unless they pulled up sagebrush) looks very open.

Good grief. What a horrible place to come to an end.

So sorry this happened to you, Selina.

And, I am also outraged that Selina was left at the rest stop!

JMVHO.

Thank you for posting this image which I believe is an excellent visual for how a dark-haired, young girl's body could easily blend in with the terrain -- especially if near or under the sage. I recall one investigator stating that he was within 200 yards of her unseen body only days earlier. MOO

Peace and comfort to Selena's family, friends, and community.

The dogs capabilities were mostly hindered because they couldn't search from the start point. From what I can make out they were almost working from outside to in hoping to hit upon a trail, rather than being able to follow a scent out from its origin. That's not a great start.

Why couldn't they begin the canine search from the PLS (point last seen)? Doesn't make sense. I've read reports of the broke down van being in that rest stop area, about her jumping a fence, even running toward some trees. That's pretty specific. I pretty much guarantee a trained dog led up along a fence would hit on a scent trail if the person sought crossed that fence, whether it snowed or not, and whether it was days later for that matter. Her scent would be all over that fence, and beyond. Please don't accuse me of criticism of any SAR team or team member. My concern is the method of conducting the search. I would be much more inclined to be satisfied in my mind if I could find evidence that LE began a canine SAR from the PLS, and if not, why? It could be critical to future missing persons cases. MOO

Why couldn't they begin the canine search from the PLS (point last seen)? Doesn't make sense. I've read reports of the broke down van being in that rest stop area, about her jumping a fence, even running toward some trees. That's pretty specific. I pretty much guarantee a trained dog led up along a fence would hit on a scent trail if the person sought crossed that fence, whether it snowed or not, and whether it was days later for that matter. Her scent would be all over that fence, and beyond. Please don't accuse me of criticism of any SAR team or team member. My concern is the method of conducting the search. I would be much more inclined to be satisfied in my mind if I could find evidence that LE began a canine SAR from the PLS, and if not, why? It could be critical to future missing persons cases. MOO

@Dave F. Might have that piece of MSM. (why the dogs couldn't search from point of origin.)

@Dave F. Might have that piece of MSM. (why the dogs couldn't search from point of origin.)

There were reportedly 120 volunteer searchers at the rest stop by the morning of January 2nd. From the I think that later in the day is when the six horsemen started riding back and forth, in what appeared to be an organized grid sweep. I have no idea what the numbers pealed out at, but as a rough guess, as many as five hundred individuals probably had walked through that area. That alone is a lot of different scents, I would think. The dogs deployed on the 8th, and within an hour after sunup Cheryl Horn posted on social media that the researchers were having trouble because searchers stopping to smoke cigarettes were confusing them. Apparently, that is a special concern with search dogs. A short while later, she posted something about them having to search farther away from the rest stop than she anticipated. At the same time, one reporter snapped a photo of one of the dogs and it's handler sniffing around the picnic canopy on the west end of the rest stop, which would have been the nearest structure to where the van was parked, not where she went over the fence. They must have been trying to find an original track that led to the fence she climbed. That leads me to believe that the woman left at the truck stop hadn't been able to identify exactly where she crossed the fence and started walking. Next, when I look at Google Earth overhead views now, I see that the terrain is much more broken in the southwest direction she walked, than in the southeast direction that it was assumed she had walked. She traversed a couple of bends of a meandering stream bed, which may have been dry but would be completely frozen ground. The woman apparently said she last saw Selena walking in a straight line "toward the trees" which are in that dry stream bed area and only about a quarter of a mile away from the fence. Also, she was heading straight uphill to nowhere, which seems completely illogical by itself, and choosing what had to be a meandering path amongst those patches of tangled sage which are impossible to walk through. A final observation is that her path of travel would have crossed directly under a high voltage power line. The ground underneath power lines is kept clear of sage or other obstacles, so that 4 wheel drive inspection or service vehicles can follow the line, and has gates in fence lines. It is human nature to walk underneath a power line, because it is easier ground to traverse.
I know very little about how search dogs are trained, but I spend a lot of time with dogs and think I have a decent idea how they process information. The sense of smell that a dog has is amazing, but they follow scents in a 1-2-3-4 type of progression. It's not a continuous scent that they follow, but a series of "spot scents". Their thought process leads them from the first spot to the general area of the second, and once they locate the second exactly, their thought tells them where to go for the third, and so on. That is why we see the classic bloodhound search dogs sniffing back and forth in an arc along the ground. They are locating the exact spot of that scent, before moving on to the next one in the line. In a field of broken terrain, filled with fresh scents and huge distractions like cigarette smoke, it must have been extremely difficult for the dogs to work.
One last comment is on the current question of "Was the body in the brush patch, or was it lying between brush patches. In younger days, I hunted antelope in that exact type of terrain. Antelope hide from danger by laying down, seemingly in plain sight. They actually prefer a spot on a hillside where they have a better view. Their principal "cover" is the fact that they don't move at all. I have no problem understanding how she wasn't seen.
IMO

@DaveF thanks so much for taking the time to explain what you know of the search. Indeed, that many people searching, along with other scent factors, would have a negative effect on a canine's ability to follow a scent trail. I believe in many of these missing case searches, the sooner a canine SAR team is deployed, the better, in particular, when a PLS (point last seen) is fairly well documented.

Big Horn County Attorney, Jay Harris, says he will use the investigative subpoena process under Montana law to get all materials from the Big Horn County Sheriff's Office. This could potentially lead to criminal charges if it's determined someone is involved in Selena's death. The attorney's office further states they will not call Selena's death as reflecting foul play or not foul play until all evidence is reviewed. They advise the Big Horn County Sheriff's Office to not make any public comments without consulting the county attorney. The Attorney's Office says no persons involved in Selena's disappearance this month have immunity from the state of Montana.
Selena Not Afraid's death being criminally investigated

BirdRattler said people could be passionate about the movement, but if that doesn’t stop the physical violence and sexual abuse against Native American women, “then we’re just passionate.” He said it’s up to them “as foot soldiers, as warriors, as women warriors, to take that torch and run with it.”

“Because if we don’t stop it — if we don’t make a stand — then we’re going to continue to gather like this for young people when there’s no reason to do so,” BirdRattler said.

Jill Falcon Mackin, a doctoral candidate in history at MSU, of the Turtle Mountain Ojibwe tribe in North Dakota, said prayers and sang for the crowd. She said Not Afraid is “walking toward that light” and asked the crowd “with your spirits” to “encourage her to keep walking.”

Mackin said Not Afraid was in the process of “becoming an ancestor” — “a woman of strength that we could call upon” — and that Not Afraid is “going to that good place where she’ll be home.”

“We do not call her back. We honor her spirit where she is,” Mackin said.

Holly Old Crow, an MSU senior studying criminology, of the Crow tribe, read a note Not Afraid wrote that has circulated on social media since she went missing.

In the note, Not Afraid listed 10 things about herself, including that she liked reading, horseback riding and baking with her mom. She also described a life of loss — two sisters and an older brother who had died recently — and wrote that she wanted to go to college where her only remaining brother lives.

“As you leave today, remember those things because those are what she of thought of herself,” Old Crow told the crowd.
'Honor her spirit': Candlelight vigil held at MSU for teen found dead on Monday

One of the very first reports about Selena missing included a quote from Selena's aunt stating that Selena was believed extremely intoxicated. I always believed that unless Selena started hitchhiking and got a ride, that she most likely passed out not too far away. We know the not far away is correct and will have to wait on autopsy results for the rest.

I believe this was a very tragic event surrounding New Year's celebration and two days of underage drinking. MOO

As a quick PSA - Alcohol increases the risk of hypothermia (there are several papers about it, but this link describes the issue):
Hypothermia poses fatal risk for intoxicated people

JAN 20, 2020
Missing teen's body found in Big Horn County
The body of missing teen Selena Not Afraid was found Monday morning near the rest area where she was reported last seen, according to Big Horn County Sheriff Lawrence Big Hair.

Big Hair said federal law enforcement agents found Not Afraid's body around 10:30 a.m. within a mile of the rest stop where she was last reported seen.

Rest peacefully, Selena.

g40001.gif

i had been off for a few days and I'm sad to come back to this. their family has bore so much tragedy :( rest easy with your ancestors and siblings Selena :(

I'm not sure if any more info came out about why the two girls were left at the rest stop. Initially, it was reported that the van kept breaking down and another family member was called to collect the girls at the rest stop.

Was this because the driver expected a delay in getting back to Hardin (due to mechanical issues) and the girls need to arrive home sooner?

Were the girls getting out of the van every time they stopped to repair the van and driver afraid they'd walk off?

Were the girls creating a disturbance inside the van and everybody wanted them out?

I'm afraid the witnesses will never answer these questions.

MOO

God Speed Selena.

i wonder if maybe they were using the restroom or at a distance and he thought it would peter out again so just took off but called family to retrieve the girls?

Hypothermia Suspected in Death of Missing Montana Girl, 16, Accidentally Left Behind at Rest Stop

1) "authorities found her body less than a mile away from the highway rest stop where she’d been left accidentally after the van in which she was riding broke down." - Big Horn County Undersheriff Eric Winburn

2) "Not Afraid had “tried to convince the other girl to climb the fence with her,” he says, but that girl stayed behind. “The one girl said (Not Afraid) just started heading out towards the trees.” - Undersheriff Eric Winburn

3) “Loss of a loved one in such a tragic way has no prejudice,” he said. “Why should we hold any prejudice against each other, when this is a reality we all may face.” - The teen’s uncle, Crow Tribal Chairman A.J. Not Afraid

"You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows"`

see this is what i thought may hve happened. that they were at a distance and he took off afraid the van would turn off... and the girls didn't know why they were left. he called someone elsde to pick them up but the girls didn't know that. not a very nice thing to do but i can see how it happened now.

i wonder if maybe they were using the restroom or at a distance and he thought it would peter out again so just took off but called family to retrieve the girls?

The restrooms were closed for the winter and locked tight. but I think you are right that he just took off because he was afraid the van would die again. IMO

The area was windy early on and wind hampers scent tracking. It makes it hard to pick up the scent, it disperses and decays the scent. Then with all the people and their scents in the area it must have been very hard for the dogs to focus. Don't they have dogs out tracking before the masses join in just for the simple reason of allowing the dogs a better trail?
When I did my limited SAR training years ago we had a strong command structure with a focus on communications and collaboration. Sometimes processes fall to the side in the rush to remedy. Practice, practice, practice, experience pays off. Network, evaluate and improve. It is worthwhile for the tribes to form their own SAR and practice and collaborate with others as part of the movement to protect their women. One thing I remember is during the ground search to walk parallel with others insight, in line and in proximity so no area is gaped and therefore missed.
I lived in the area in the past. The Not Afraids I knew were like family to me. With a heavy heart I say never stop moving forward toward a better future and better protections for these women.
As someone who also spent as much time as possible on a horse in my teens, I completely understand why Selena would take off across the land on foot, she felt comfortable on the land; while not the best judgement if under the influence, I can still understand.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back