Murder Accountability Project

Discussion in 'Murder Accountability Project' started by bessie, Nov 22, 2016.

1. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

2. Loading...

3. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

4. cfbLisa

cfbLisa New Member

Hi Y'all, I have been watching "The Killing Season" and that's how I found this site. I'm a very bored stay at home wife and mother, so I'm glad I found this. I've loved true crime or anything with a "who done it" book or tv show or movie as far back as I can remember.
    I've recently found out that I had an aunt that was murdered back in the 1970's. I know her name and I think we know the city and state, so how could I go about finding more information on this? I was also told it was still unsolved.
    Thanks for your help!

5. Thomas Hargrove

Thomas Hargrove New Member

First, see if you can find the record of your aunt, if she was murdered in 1976 or later. (We can't post FBI data earlier than this because the formats to the SHR changed so much in 1976.) Use the "How to Use" tab learn how to find a specific case. (We use the murder of JonBenet Ramsey as an example.)

6. jacobd83

jacobd83 New Member

I would really like too get involved in this project

7. FormerDoeAdmin

FormerDoeAdmin New Member

This murder accountability project, is this about mapping out unsolved murders of similar type? Because I have spreadsheets of thousands of predatory child homicides in an attempt to do the same thing years ago... Haven't done anything with them for years but wondering if I go back through them if I can help here....

8. Tampa5678

Tampa5678 New Member

Have you looked at the Jennifer Odom case in Pasco/Hernando county Fl, 2/19/93?

9. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator

Tom Hargrove, the man behind the Murder Accountability Project gave us a wonderful interview on Websleuths Radio yesterday.

CLICK HERE and listen

10. burblestein

burblestein Active Member

11. Nicoleleigh35

Nicoleleigh35 New Member

I am very interested in this! I have a case and would love some help/ feedback on what you guys think! My friends killer is walking free, never charged, married with 2 kids. Would anyone be interested in looking into this?

12. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

Hi Nicoleleigh35, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I can't imagine how much harder it must be knowing the person responsible is walking free.

Beyond sleuthing, I don't know how much help I could be, but there are many amazing WS members that might be able to. Is there a thread for your friend? If not, I would ask a mod to start one for you. Starting a thread will get the word out and hopefully justice for your friend.

13. alecwilkinson

alecwilkinson New Member

I am a writer at The New Yorker working on a piece about Thomas Hargrove and the Murder Accountability Project and interested in talking to anyone who has used it, thanks.
    Alec Wilkinson

14. Jipsynurse

Jipsynurse New Member

My daughter, Brittany Danielle McGlone, was murdered in the home of her boyfriend May 4, 2007 in Wood County, TX. Her murder remains unsolved. The lead investigator is now charged with serious charges not related to my daughters case. Additionally, he, a previous sheriff and other county officials are defendants in federal case. Any help is so appreciated.

15. margarita25

margarita25 Jessica Ridgeway. Never Forgotten.

Hi Jipsynurse,

I will send this post over to one of moderators to see of there is a thread here for your daughter. Very sorry for your loss.

16. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator

Dear Jipsynurse,

On behalf of everyone at Websleuths we are deeply sorry for the loss of your daughter.

Could you please email me at triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com and I can help you get a discussion going about Brittany's case.

Thank you,
    Tricia Griffith
    Owner/Websleuths.com

17. deedee21

deedee21 Well-Known Member

Walk into the police station. Ask to speak to the Det on your friends case. Demand to know why your friends case is not being worked on.

18. deedee21

deedee21 Well-Known Member

Go to the DA's office and ask them who works on cold cases for your area. Demand to know who will work on your daughters case.
    Give the story to a local newspaper.

19. Bohemian

Bohemian Well-Known Member

The Serial-Killer Detector: How an algorithm is discovering new links between unsolved murders
    The New Yorker
    Alec Wilkinson
    November 20, 2017 5:00 AM

‘Thomas Hargrove is a homicide archivist. For the past seven years, he has been collecting municipal records of murders, and he now has the largest catalogue of killings in the country—751,785 murders carried out since 1976, which is roughly twenty-seven thousand more than appear in F.B.I. files. States are supposed to report murders to the Department of Justice, but some report inaccurately, or fail to report altogether, and Hargrove has sued some of these states to obtain their records. Using computer code he wrote, he searches his archive for statistical anomalies among the more ordinary murders resulting from lovers’ triangles, gang fights, robberies, or brawls. Each year, about five thousand people kill someone and don’t get caught, and a percentage of these men and women have undoubtedly killed more than once. Hargrove intends to find them with his code, which he sometimes calls a serial-killer detector.’

Read more at:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/27/the-serial-killer-detector/amp

20. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/27/the-serial-killer-detector

21. Momof2inTN

Momof2inTN New Member

Thomas or Bessie. I believe I have discovered a pattern for a serial killer that bludgeons his victims and there is 1-3 per year since 1994 in different states until 2016. Maybe more. How do I determine the name and other info from your site on each case for further research?

Any help is appreciated