My Family Member Is Missing & Deceased (Based on Age). Where Can I Submit My DNA?

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Resources' started by IntoTheWind, Jan 8, 2019.

1. IntoTheWind

IntoTheWind New Member

Hello, everyone! I am a long time reader, this is my very first comment ever! :D

I have a family member who went missing. A BOLO resulted in finding their car but nothing else. Based on their age today, they would be deceased and may be entered somewhere as a John Doe. Where do I submit my DNA to check for potential matches? They went missing out of California in the 1950's.

Thank you.

P.S. This is my first post here. If this is not the appropriate place or if I've done something wrong, please let me know as I don't intend to break any rules. I am having a hard time navigating this site. It's great but overwhelming. Private messages always welcome.

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Welcome, and I wish you the very best of luck! I believe there are some very knowledgeable WS members who hopefully will see your post and chime in.
    Have you contacted and asked the local LE where your relative was found for any advice on this? I know a little bit of the national database called NAMUS, for missing persons and I think unidentified remains, but not enough to give you any real pointers.
    I'm sorry you and your family have had a missing loved one for so many years :(

3. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

I too am sorry about your missing and deceased family member. I wish you success in your quest.

Here is the link for NAMUS.

NamUs

I think you would be wise to contact LE where your relative was reported missing and/or where the car was found and ask about submitting DNA. But you would learn a lot if you look around our Unidentified forum for info on the process too. If you notice a member who seems knowledgeable, contact them directly. @Cubby and @Roselvr are two active members who come to mind.

Unidentified "How To" & Reference Forum

Hope this helps.

silverjug, TxMother67 and EmmaRose like this.
  4. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Hi and Welcome to WS Into TheWind. I agree with the others regarding NamUs. I'm going to suggest contacting @Roselvr, she is the NamUs expert. I have no direct contact via NamUs.

California has a recent law that requires all unidentified persons get DNA in the system if possible, so that increases the chances of finding your missing relative.

HTH and good luck with your search.

HaKerJack, Lilibet and AgeofAquaruis like this.
  5. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

Thanks @Cubby. :)