My Girlfriend Wants to Shelter a Family-Red Cross Says No

jannuncutt

jannuncutt
Reaction score
My girlfriend called the Red Cross 1 1/2 weeks ago because she wants to have a family (Katrina Survivors) live in her house. She had to call several times after waiting to hear from them. Finally, when they contacted her 3 days ago. They told her that the families were taken care of as far as housing would go and they (Red Cross) preferred cash donations.

What the hell is up with that? I told her that I would reach out on my board (you guys). Can anyone help? I really don't think that the Red Cross was being truthful. Her kids are grown and gone. She has a good heart and wants to help a family!

I think the Red-Cross probably can't arrange these types of things because of legal issues. If the family was bad, then they might get sued, etc.

However, I would suggested maybe contacting local churches or shelters in the area and see if there is a bulletin board or someone that a pastor would be comfortable sending to your GF home.

Is she able to go to the area and select a family herself?

2luvmy said:
I think the Red-Cross probably can't arrange these types of things because of legal issues. If the family was bad, then they might get sued, etc.

However, I would suggested maybe contacting local churches or shelters in the area and see if there is a bulletin board or someone that a pastor would be comfortable sending to your GF home.

Is she able to go to the area and select a family herself?
Okay, in regards to your first paragraph - maybe you have a point - I don't know. However, they told her that the families were fine with housing and didn't need anymore - I don't believe that.

I don't know whether or not she is able to go and get a family. Personally, I think that is asking to much. I think that it is enough that wants to welcome one in her home.

I posted a thread the other day, because that happened in the Cincy area also. The story made it into the media.

If your friend is still wanting to do this, I say go with the churches. Many of the church orgs have links on the web. I was looking up something for a friend the other day and so I will give you a link for the Southern Baptist churches that I found: http://sbcsearch.founders.org/churches.html
Just find out if she has a preference as to the families religious affilation and look for that church group on the web. Many of the individual churches have email addresses now.

Thanks for your help. I think that she can find the help that she needs from Craigs List.

jannuncutt said:
Thanks for your help. I think that she can find the help that she needs from Craigs List.
Tell her to be very careful though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back