Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7 Pam Buckley & James P Freund

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking through Missing Person's in Canada and of course got side tracked by an article written in 2015 regarding the Sumter County Does.

The article is a little confusing to me because the author says both UID's were found face down in a kneeling position and shot in the back of the head. Any of the official pictures I've seen do not show them in a kneeling position. Nor have I ever read they were shot in the back of the head; only that they were each shot 3 times: in the back, in the chest and in the throat. Could it be that the investigators moved the bodies before the first coroner pics were taken? If they were kneeling and they were shot in the back of the head is it possible that an exit wound might appear in the throat if the shooter was standing above them while they were kneeling in the ditch? That seems highly unlikely if the bullet calibre was .357.

Or was this article just sloppy journalism?

WIS Investigates: Dozens of unidentified remains leave investigators searching for leads

I've found even more conflicting information in a site Alchetron which states in a brief video that a man (presumably the 'hermit') witnessed a man and woman being forced out the back of a van and shot in the back.

Sumter County Does - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

Where are they getting this information from? It's very disturbing to me that information is transforming from what has been previously reported for years and years. Even on Wiki, it's being said that the couple was seen from a distance by the 'hermit'. I have always thought I read that the individual had only said they'd heard a vehicle pull up, car doors opening and closing, then a squeal of tires as the car left quickly.

A case this old should have accurate, chronological details archived somewhere within Sumter county police files, accessible through FOI, so the narrative isn't corrupted by either lazy journalists or theorists passing off fantasy as fact.

Yeah there's a theory he's Canadian and she's a middle-eastern foreign exchange student he met on his travels. I hope that someone will do ancestry dna testing on them, especially her, to get a better idea of their roots.
I'm sure foreign exchange students need the consent of parents or legal guardians before travelling. And certainly, going off to America, you'd think the parents had high hopes for their child and certainly they or the school she travelled with would have filed some sort of report when she disappeared. I would even expect that to be the case with the school or the home of the persons she was staying with. I'm sure authorities in 2 countries would have the reported information on a missing exchange student X

Yeah there's a theory he's Canadian and she's a middle-eastern foreign exchange student he met on his travels. I hope that someone will do ancestry dna testing on them, especially her, to get a better idea of their roots.
I'm sure foreign exchange students need the consent of parents or legal guardians before travelling. And certainly, going off to America, you'd think the parents had high hopes for their child and certainly they or the school she travelled with would have filed some sort of report when she disappeared. I would even expect that to be the case with the school or the home of the persons she was staying with. I'm sure authorities in 2 countries would have the reported information on a missing exchange student X
I've been looking through Missing Person's in Canada and of course got side tracked by an article written in 2015 regarding the Sumter County Does.

The article is a little confusing to me because the author says both UID's were found face down in a kneeling position and shot in the back of the head. Any of the official pictures I've seen do not show them in a kneeling position. Nor have I ever read they were shot in the back of the head; only that they were each shot 3 times: in the back, in the chest and in the throat. Could it be that the investigators moved the bodies before the first coroner pics were taken? If they were kneeling and they were shot in the back of the head is it possible that an exit wound might appear in the throat if the shooter was standing above them while they were kneeling in the ditch? That seems highly unlikely if the bullet calibre was .357.

WIS Investigates: Dozens of unidentified remains leave investigators searching for leads

I've found even more conflicting information in a site Alchetron which states in a brief video that a man (presumably the 'hermit') witnessed a man and woman being forced out the back of a van and shot in the back.

Where are they getting this information from? It's very disturbing to me that information is transforming from what has been previously reported for years and years. Even on Wiki, it's being said that the couple was seen from a distance by the 'hermit'. I have always thought I read that the individual had only said they'd heard a vehicle pull up, car doors opening and closing, then a squeal of tires as the car left quickly.

A case this old should have accurate, chronological details archived somewhere within Sumter county police files, accessible through FOI, so the narrative isn't corrupted by either lazy journalists or theorists passing off fantasy as fact.
The trained eye of a coroner should be able to see instantly whether he is looking at a bullets entry or exit wound, since they would look visually different. I've only ever read that both victims were each shot 3× and were both lying face up when found with a haunting gasp like expression on their faces. But so much time has passed, It would not surprise me if there are many different variations of what occurred on the internet X

It's possible that they were not a 'couple' at all but just 2 kids who either met up on there travels or maybe picked up by the same driver at different stages along the route. They have been the 'mystery couple' since the day they were found and that could be misleading for any family members who are searching for 1 or the other perhaps X

That's an excellent idea you have.

You know, the thought did just come to mind.. How do you shoot a person in their back and have them land on their back ?? Surely, they would naturally fall forward, face down. It must be that they were both shot in the back whilst trying to flee for their lives, then have the killer approach them to roll them over and shoot them from the front. How very callous eh! I suppose the closest thing to justice for them both now is to have them their names given back. Very sad X

I checked out the Alchetron link and I find it interesting that the jewelry was not taken. Was this a thrill kill? What was the motive? Also, they found a guy that had the gun that was used in murders, but could not press charges. Who was this guy? So many questions, but I hope they found out who these two are.

I checked out the Alchetron link and I find it interesting that the jewelry was not taken. Was this a thrill kill? What was the motive? Also, they found a guy that had the gun that was used in murders, but could not press charges. Who was this guy? So many questions, but I hope they found out who these two are.
I think, in letting that man go, that man got away with murder.. not only did he have the murder weapon in his possession just weeks after the killings, but admitted to it having been gifted to him from a brother some years prior! Now I'm no Einstein but what does that tell you?? Incompetence on every level, Its an absolute outrage X

Not forgetting 'Jock' of course but I do think Sallie Margaret Reed. Aged 22yrs of Loiusiana, missing since Feb 1976 is as good as any for close resemblance to our Jane Doe.. the eyebrows alone do it for me!. Thoughts anybody.. X

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 62
  • sallie_margaret_reed_1.jpg
    sallie_margaret_reed_1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 67
I think, in letting that man go, that man got away with murder.. not only did he have the murder weapon in his possession just weeks after the killings, but admitted to it having been gifted to him from a brother some years prior! Now I'm no Einstein but what does that tell you?? Incompetence on every level, Its an absolute outrage X

A couple more interesting details:

the man who had the murder weapon in his possession is/was a convicted felon legally unable to possess a firearm in South Carolina

that firearm had been altered -- serial number &/or manufacturer's marks removed before LE found it while held by said convicted felon

IIRC, said felon was vague about how the firearm came into his possession, eventually settling on the 'gift from brother' version

I support the brave & hard-working members of law enforcement, but to those assigned to this part of South Carolina in 1976,

upload_2020-3-10_20-7-16.jpeg

JMHO YMMV LRR

Just dawned on me they could have had a dual-citizenship, or at the every least were from somewhere else in the Commonwealth. Lots of people moved throughout the Commonwealth in the 60's and into the 70's, just off of personal experience. Some ended up here in the States.

Could be they were newcomers to either Canada or the States, or maybe on an extended visa type deal.

Crazy case and I hope their identities are revealed at some point.

From the commonwealth, from France, from all over the world as well. The Summer Olympics had just ended in Montreal a few days before. (1976 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia) That brought many people from all over the world to Canada, and many of them took advantage of being in North America already to see more of Canada and the US. Even in Montana where I lived at the time, there were far more than the usual number of European tourists. I can totally believe they were from Canada or overseas.

A couple more interesting details:

the man who had the murder weapon in his possession is/was a convicted felon legally unable to possess a firearm in South Carolina

that firearm had been altered -- serial number &/or manufacturer's marks removed before LE found it while held by said convicted felon

IIRC, said felon was vague about how the firearm came into his possession, eventually settling on the 'gift from brother' version

I support the brave & hard-working members of law enforcement, but to those assigned to this part of South Carolina in 1976,

View attachment 237730

JMHO YMMV LRR
I couldn't agree more. Men and women of the badge risking their lives for us, every working moment on a daily basis. And for that I am eternally grateful. However, the thousands of cold cases we see before us, the recently solved and the still unsolved ARE all solvable and they were back then too. I know DNA is playing a major part today.. But here, they had scientific proof of it being the murder weapon and they had the man whom it belonged to. And they released him without charge! I'm not sure what more evidence would be needed to have one prosecuted. Even substantial evidence is still evidence and he had to be the killer or be alongside the killer. I just feel with a bit more pressure, they could have gotten more! But one day, hopefully, these two lovely souls will be identified. It's just sad that their case will remain as it is.. unsolved X

From the commonwealth, from France, from all over the world as well. The Summer Olympics had just ended in Montreal a few days before. (1976 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia) That brought many people from all over the world to Canada, and many of them took advantage of being in North America already to see more of Canada and the US. Even in Montana where I lived at the time, there were far more than the usual number of European tourists. I can totally believe they were from Canada or overseas.

Makes sense. Olympics, then maybe heading to Florida.

Since the age range often changes in Doe cases, what is the chance of this Jane Doe being just 15yrs old?? Maria Florence Anjiras took numerous items of clothing when she ran away from her Connecticut home in Feb 1976. Many familiar people reported seeing or speaking to her in the after math. She certainly appears to be older than 13 or 14 in these pictures and she does match up description wise. I do see a resemblance too. Although my head may just be burnt out at this point! X

Attachments

• maria_florence_anjiras_3.jpg
    maria_florence_anjiras_3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 15
  • maria_florence_anjiras_1.jpg
    maria_florence_anjiras_1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 16
  • maria_florence_anjiras_2.jpg
    maria_florence_anjiras_2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 12
Sorry to be a pain and I do apologise if I am re posting previously looked at people, there are literally thousands of comments to look back through and it is time consuming. So please forgive me for time wasting. But has Andy Joe Lepley of Colorado been considered?? Nicknamed "Taco", he was also into contact sports and vanished from his place of work, 'Texaco' gas station in May 1976. Definite resemblance X

Attachments

• andy_joe_lepley_2.jpg
    andy_joe_lepley_2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 28
  • andy_joe_lepley_1.jpg
    andy_joe_lepley_1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 24
I have often wondered about Lepley. Maybe decided he'd had enough of Texaco and hit the road for the summer. But his description mentions a deformed or scarred right hand, which is probably enough to rule him out.

2017DMCO - Andy Lepley
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
I did think that about his hand too. But he did seem to be hands-on in every aspect of his life so I wonder just how bad of a deformity it could be. He was into sports, worked the gas station, was intent on going into his father's plumbing business.. all hands on physical labour. So it does give food for thought so to speak X

I did think that about his hand too. But he did seem to be hands-on in every aspect of his life so I wonder just how bad of a deformity it could be. He was into sports, worked the gas station, was intent on going into his father's plumbing business.. all hands on physical labour. So it does give food for thought so to speak X

That's a good point.

And Jacques did have a shoulder injury from sports, didn't he?

That's a good point.

And Jacques did have a shoulder injury from sports, didn't he?
He certainly did. It was noted early on that LE reckon he participated in contact sports due to the shoulder and some scars on his back. I wonder if Lepley did not want to do what was expected of him (following in his father's footsteps) and maybe the 'doctor' is really the 'plumber'! X

He certainly did. It was noted early on that LE reckon he participated in contact sports due to the shoulder and some scars on his back. I wonder if Lepley did not want to do what was expected of him (following in his father's footsteps) and maybe the 'doctor' is really the 'plumber'! X

Have they mentioned possible contact sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd