Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7 Pam Buckley & James P Freund

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think it's Robbie, different earlobe (his right one), different hairline, our Jock has a small lower jaw and weak chin. If Robbie looked like pic one when he disappeared, it's not our guy imo. Also totally different upper lip

Hopefully DNA Doe Project will find their family so they can have their names back. We will never know the full story.

A few years ago when we did their album on Never Forget Me, the daughter of the lady from the fruit stand was posting on it. Wish I could remember what she said. If the album is still there then so are her comments. We've had issues with some albums disappearing. No clue why

Hopefully DNA Doe Project will find their family so they can have their names back. We will never know the full story.

A few years ago when we did their album on Never Forget Me, the daughter of the lady from the fruit stand was posting on it. Wish I could remember what she said. If the album is still there then so are her comments. We've had issues with some albums disappearing. No clue why
Of course dna will be the answer. We're most probably waisting our time, but it keeps them in the focus.

Precisely @T rex ! This was a pretty unusual case back then but it seems to me that most of the real investigation didn’t take place until years later. But why? Just within the first 200 words of the Wikipedia narrative on this case, I can count at least 6 speculation and assumption based details! Very misleading IMO. Most of which have never been corroborated and may very likely be of no relevance.

1) it was inferred they had apparently been traveling through different places in US before ending up in SC. (Okay? because he had a particular match book and was wearing a shirt with the word Sebring printed on it - many races took place outside of FL during that series)

2) The male victim had been referred to as "Jock" (had he, really?) which may have originated from the French name "Jacques," indication he may have been from French Canada (really? because I took it to mean he was an avid player of sports or an indication that the witness was hard of hearing)

3) the KOA man claimed that he met “Jock”, who had told him he was from Canada and his father was a prominent doctor, which “this supported the theory that his family was wealthy” (it could also support the theory that the KOA man wanted 15 minutes of fame and notoriety in a high profile double murder case OR the theory that John Doe fabricated a story to tell a complete stranger)

4) the Does were said to have been seen by a hermit and said to have been dropped off on Locklair Rd. by someone(s) in a white van (where is this hermit now? what else did he have to say? where’s this mystery van - they took cast impressions of tire tracks found at the scene. Where are the cast impressions?

5) “it is possible that the victims had had their vehicle hijacked, possibly by hitchhikers. Then, upon their exiting the vehicle, someone may have shot them both in the back.” (isn’t it just as possible that they were the hitchhikers? exited their vehicle? well where is it now? and what about the van?....weren’t they also shot in more places than just their backs? why wasn’t it that they had “exited their vehicles and were shot in the chest”?)

6) “At 6:20 a.m., a trucker named Martin Durant found the bodies and contacted Charles Graham, an employee at a nearby store. Graham, in turn, contacted the authorities.” (boy, there sure are a lot of unlucky truckers who just happen to find dead bodies while they’re stopped on random, rural backroads! If he was able to contact a nearby store employee why wasn’t he just as able to call the authorities himself?)

7) “The male victim was at first believed to be between 18 and 22 years of age, but his dentition suggested that he may have been older than 27. The age range was updated to be between 18 and 30 years after his case was entered into NamUs.
The forensic dentist who examined the man's teeth said he believed he was over 27, but that he had looked younger due to his clothing and build.” (So the first estimations were based on a little bit of science and a little bit of his clothing and stature making him appear a certain age?)

8) two people had allegedly spent time with the pair on more than one occasion and a mechanic from out of state may or may not have serviced a vehicle the two were driving (did the KOA witness report seeing a vehicle? how else would they have been able to drive down to FL and return days later? where is this vehicle now? or was it stolen by hitchhikers?)

9) the murder weapon found in possession of a man who admitted to owning the gun and identified where he had gotten it and at least one other person who had owned it (where is said murder weapon now?)

I could go on and on. Now, some of these are rhetorical questions and I know how most of them would or could be answered and explained. This is also just what Wikipedia has and I know how that goes. But, the point I’m trying to make is that the entire story is riddled with assumption. Presumptions that have created a specific narrative and placed a lot of emphasis on certain things that can not be substantiated!

Turn
ing “Jock” into “Jacques” was extremely presumptuous in my opinion. And it was done by investigators, not the public. But, hey, it fit the ring, it fit the prominent Canadian doctor, it had to be true. So let’s all focus our attention on French Canada!

(I’ve come to far to scrap this entire comment because I see now it’s just an obnoxious rant. Rant over. It’s just frustrating to me. :oops:)

ETA: JMOOs
Hi, I've been following this case for a long time. I'm also Canadian. I have found that many Americans miss the slight differences in pronunciation in French. The proper pronunciation of Jacques sounds like Zsa as in Zsa Zsa Gabor with a soft 'k' on the end. To an untrained ear they would pronounce it to rhyme with lock with a very hard 'k'.

My personal opinion on this couple is that they are not American at all.

I know someone posted photos and videos of the actual location (TBH, it gave me an uneasy feeling and I couldn’t look at it all, lol...but it seemed helpful).

That was me a couple of months ago. I have been aware of this case since the Unsolved Mysteries segment in the early '90s. I travel that section of I-95 at least once per year so I finally decided to stop and film a couple of videos. At the time I didn't realize the cemetery was a half hour away and not close to any major highways. But I weaved over there as well. I was more impressed with the cemetery than I expected to be. It is connected to an active church in the area.

When I visited Locklair Road I mostly guessed at the murder location, based on the one available photo from 1976. However, after posting the videos on YouTube a Reddit poster who previously lived near the cemetery confirmed that my guess was mostly correct, that the murders occurred close to the intersection of Locklair Road and the larger Lynches River Road. The father of the Reddit poster had driven him to see the murder scene when this case was in its early stages.

The end of the video shows the connection between Lynches River Road and Locklair Road. I turned around and filmed the intersection:

My best estimate is that the hermit was walking along Lynches River Road somewhere near daybreak and saw the bodies on the slight upslope along Locklair Road, not far from the intersection. Then the hermit saw the trucker and told him what he discovered. These days there are many more parking areas along major interstates, designed to help truckers rest. Also there are increasing use of digital signs indicating how many open spots are available for truckers at the next rest area. Nothing like that existed in 1976. Truckers had to be aware of pull offs not far from major highways. After visiting Locklair Road I can see how that qualifies...then and now. It is an isolated dirt road about 3/4 of a mile from the northbound exit ramp on I-95. During my visit I saw numerous cars using Lynches River Road but nobody except myself on Locklair. At one point I parked my car in the center of Locklair -- which runs 1.2 miles -- with no concern whatsoever that another vehicle would approach from either direction. I felt as if I could be there all day without needing to move my car. Truckers would be aware of that road and also a deviant local would be aware of the road.

Where was the fruit stand in relation to where the bodies were found? I didn't try to figure that out. I have seen some recent reference in this thread to fruit stand location.

Oh wow!! I finally watched the video! (No disrespect to you whatsoever, I just get an uneasy feeling about seeing some things like that.)

I think you absolutely found the location! And it is not nearly as “secluded” as I was picturing. Your video really helps put that into perspective!
(for convenient comparison...these are clips from previously linked articles)
5C3CE6F4-FBD2-4C51-A3D1-5134E70C90CF.jpeg 3A83AA2E-AE46-4DB0-896C-1ECCD8FEAC15.jpeg
I had read about your thoughts on the cemetery...I’m glad to know they’re not in a rundown, forgotten location. I don’t know the exact location of the fruit stand they visited. I found a photo in a SC paper of a peach stand and a burger joint... it reminded me of these Does. Thanks again for the videos and photos!

That was me a couple of months ago. I have been aware of this case since the Unsolved Mysteries segment in the early '90s. I travel that section of I-95 at least once per year so I finally decided to stop and film a couple of videos. At the time I didn't realize the cemetery was a half hour away and not close to any major highways. But I weaved over there as well. I was more impressed with the cemetery than I expected to be. It is connected to an active church in the area.

When I visited Locklair Road I mostly guessed at the murder location, based on the one available photo from 1976. However, after posting the videos on YouTube a Reddit poster who previously lived near the cemetery confirmed that my guess was mostly correct, that the murders occurred close to the intersection of Locklair Road and the larger Lynches River Road. The father of the Reddit poster had driven him to see the murder scene when this case was in its early stages.

The end of the video shows the connection between Lynches River Road and Locklair Road. I turned around and filmed the intersection:

My best estimate is that the hermit was walking along Lynches River Road somewhere near daybreak and saw the bodies on the slight upslope along Locklair Road, not far from the intersection. Then the hermit saw the trucker and told him what he discovered. These days there are many more parking areas along major interstates, designed to help truckers rest. Also there are increasing use of digital signs indicating how many open spots are available for truckers at the next rest area. Nothing like that existed in 1976. Truckers had to be aware of pull offs not far from major highways. After visiting Locklair Road I can see how that qualifies...then and now. It is an isolated dirt road about 3/4 of a mile from the northbound exit ramp on I-95. During my visit I saw numerous cars using Lynches River Road but nobody except myself on Locklair. At one point I parked my car in the center of Locklair -- which runs 1.2 miles -- with no concern whatsoever that another vehicle would approach from either direction. I felt as if I could be there all day without needing to move my car. Truckers would be aware of that road and also a deviant local would be aware of the road.

Where was the fruit stand in relation to where the bodies were found? I didn't try to figure that out. I have seen some recent reference in this thread to fruit stand location.

Previously, when I envisioned Locklair Rd, I was under the impression it was the first road off the I-95 or at the very least a road that intersected county road 341. In actual fact it is off another road making it even more remote. It makes me wonder what exits existed back in 1976 and whether or not smaller roads still has some access to the I-95. I live in an area in Ontario where some smaller roads in more rural areas still have access to major highways but most of them have been closed off to force traffic to the designated interchange.

Back when I first heard of this crime, nearly 30 years ago, I heard it was the truck driver who had gotten off the highway to rest who discovered the bodies. I presumed he used a CB radio, being a trucker, to call in his discovery. After the discovery became known locally, a man (who has been labeled a hermit) but who probably just lived alone somewhere near the crime scene, came forward to say he had heard a vehicle on the road, heard gunshots, then heard the vehicle leave quickly. His time frame was several hours before the discovery. His account jibes with the coroner saying that the deceased persons had been killed within hours of their discovery.

I don't think either of these two people were American. I think that may be a dead end. I'm not even sure they are Canadian. There is a presumption because he said his name was 'Jock' and that he was Canadian, that he was telling the truth. I'm curious whether any of the witnesses who came in contact with them ever mentioned either of them having any kind of accent. Many French Canadians are fully bilingual but even some fully bilingual may still have little speech inflections that betray French as their first language. And I can say with some certainty that a lot of French people nearly 50 years ago in Quebec could not (or would not) speak English. And not many non-French people call their boys Jacques. If anyone wanted to take on the persona of a French Canadian man disowned by his father for not following in his footsteps, I think the name 'Jacques' may be the first one you'd think of.

The fact that the female had unshaved legs comes up a lot , assigning the issue as something a foreigner would do. There has been no mention whether her underarms were also unshaved, which was a characteristic of European females at the time. During this time period, the hippie culture was still around although it was petering off. So her unshaved legs could be something as simple as not caring for a while rather than a political statement. It's not as if she had no access to a razor since the male she was traveling with was freshly shaved. So, was she a foreigner or not.

I can't stop thinking about the South American component. Athough, if they were escapees from the Dirty War, would they have had such command of the English language in such a short period of time? No one has ever mentioned talking to the female, only the male. Could it be because she didn't speak the language? I find Jane Doe's resemblance to Maria Marta Lugones is remarkable; although the decedent's face seems slimmer almost everything is spot on: shape of face, eyebrow arch, mouth. Maria doesn't appear to have the moles, though. I don't put much stock into the idea she was pregnant since the only person who claimed that recanted his story.

I find John Doe less convincing to be Cesar. There are some surface similarities like his slim frame and face shape but every picture I've seen of him he was wearing glasses so I'm presuming he couldn't see well without them. Someone could have removed them from him after death because they may have had identifying marks on them, but why not remove the watch and the rings? People who wear glasses a lot can have indentations at the side of their noses and they don't go away within hours.

There is another Argentinian who went missing during the same time frame as Maria and Cesar. His name is Miguel Angel Rodriguez Sandoval. Here's a picture of him. He resembles John Doe, especially the fuller lips and bushy eyebrows. I have no other physical characteristics on him, height, etc. The interesting thing about this man is that a women who saw him in detention said he had wounds on his upper back and shoulders from being whipped. John Doe has scars in those places. I wish the autopsy pictures included things like that but I'm not holding my breath.

I find the police work on this case was extremely shoddy and continues to this day. Over the years I've read items that claimed a lot of the politicians and law enforcement in this area were fairly corrupt. I wish I had bookmarked some of these articles because they are very difficult to find now. There is a non fiction book called Chase of the Condor by Frederick Ingram which provides interesting suppositions regarding CIA operatives who lived in the area as well as the man found with a weapon with a ballistic match that killed this couple.

Attachments

• Sumter NC 1976 miguel angel sandoval rodriguez.jpg
    Sumter NC 1976 miguel angel sandoval rodriguez.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 40
Previously, when I envisioned Locklair Rd, I was under the impression it was the first road off the I-95 or at the very least a road that intersected county road 341. In actual fact it is off another road making it even more remote. It makes me wonder what exits existed back in 1976 and whether or not smaller roads still has some access to the I-95. I live in an area in Ontario where some smaller roads in more rural areas still have access to major highways but most of them have been closed off to force traffic to the designated interchange.

Back when I first heard of this crime, nearly 30 years ago, I heard it was the truck driver who had gotten off the highway to rest who discovered the bodies. I presumed he used a CB radio, being a trucker, to call in his discovery. After the discovery became known locally, a man (who has been labeled a hermit) but who probably just lived alone somewhere near the crime scene, came forward to say he had heard a vehicle on the road, heard gunshots, then heard the vehicle leave quickly. His time frame was several hours before the discovery. His account jibes with the coroner saying that the deceased persons had been killed within hours of their discovery.

I don't think either of these two people were American. I think that may be a dead end. I'm not even sure they are Canadian. There is a presumption because he said his name was 'Jock' and that he was Canadian, that he was telling the truth. I'm curious whether any of the witnesses who came in contact with them ever mentioned either of them having any kind of accent. Many French Canadians are fully bilingual but even some fully bilingual may still have little speech inflections that betray French as their first language. And I can say with some certainty that a lot of French people nearly 50 years ago in Quebec could not (or would not) speak English. And not many non-French people call their boys Jacques. If anyone wanted to take on the persona of a French Canadian man disowned by his father for not following in his footsteps, I think the name 'Jacques' may be the first one you'd think of.

The fact that the female had unshaved legs comes up a lot , assigning the issue as something a foreigner would do. There has been no mention whether her underarms were also unshaved, which was a characteristic of European females at the time. During this time period, the hippie culture was still around although it was petering off. So her unshaved legs could be something as simple as not caring for a while rather than a political statement. It's not as if she had no access to a razor since the male she was traveling with was freshly shaved. So, was she a foreigner or not.

I can't stop thinking about the South American component. Athough, if they were escapees from the Dirty War, would they have had such command of the English language in such a short period of time? No one has ever mentioned talking to the female, only the male. Could it be because she didn't speak the language? I find Jane Doe's resemblance to Maria Marta Lugones is remarkable; although the decedent's face seems slimmer almost everything is spot on: shape of face, eyebrow arch, mouth. Maria doesn't appear to have the moles, though. I don't put much stock into the idea she was pregnant since the only person who claimed that recanted his story.

I find John Doe less convincing to be Cesar. There are some surface similarities like his slim frame and face shape but every picture I've seen of him he was wearing glasses so I'm presuming he couldn't see well without them. Someone could have removed them from him after death because they may have had identifying marks on them, but why not remove the watch and the rings? People who wear glasses a lot can have indentations at the side of their noses and they don't go away within hours.

There is another Argentinian who went missing during the same time frame as Maria and Cesar. His name is Miguel Angel Rodriguez Sandoval. Here's a picture of him. He resembles John Doe, especially the fuller lips and bushy eyebrows. I have no other physical characteristics on him, height, etc. The interesting thing about this man is that a women who saw him in detention said he had wounds on his upper back and shoulders from being whipped. John Doe has scars in those places. I wish the autopsy pictures included things like that but I'm not holding my breath.

I find the police work on this case was extremely shoddy and continues to this day. Over the years I've read items that claimed a lot of the politicians and law enforcement in this area were fairly corrupt. I wish I had bookmarked some of these articles because they are very difficult to find now. There is a non fiction book called Chase of the Condor by Frederick Ingram which provides interesting suppositions regarding CIA operatives who lived in the area as well as the man found with a weapon with a ballistic match that killed this couple.
Hey that man at first glance has the same features as Jock.

They were killed execution style, probably from a seated person in a car. Maybe the got a lift, were ordered out and facing the car.

Either this was a chance meeting or they were involved, as some wonder, in certain criminal activities.

Also when were there personal items as bags etc taken away from them. And why. For valuables or so that their identity wouldn't lead to the perpetrator?

They were killed execution style, probably from a seated person in a car. Maybe the got a lift, were ordered out and facing the car.

Either this was a chance meeting or they were involved, as some wonder, in certain criminal activities.

Also when were there personal items as bags etc taken away from them. And why. For valuables or so that their identity wouldn't lead to the perpetrator?
I have quite a few theories about this murder.

1. I don't believe they were involved in drug smuggling or any other criminal activities. I believe it was a targeted hit.

2. I believe they had their own vehicle. And that all their personal effects were in the vehicle when it was driven away. With their money and identification in purses or jackets or luggage.

3. I believe that they had no idea they were going to be executed but if they did it would have been in the very final moments.

4. I believe they may have gotten out of the vehicle either willingly for some unknown reason, or thinking their car was going to be hijacked and they were going to be abandoned on a lonely dirt road, that's it.

5. Without autopsy photos or the written results illustrating wound placement, I think they may have been shot in the back first then rolled over and shot in the chest. The shot to the throat was a message. And if I want to insert some conspiracy theory info, to ensure they were easily identifiable to the individual(s) who orchestrated the hit. I also believe to deliver those shots takes more than luck, it takes practice.

5. I don't believe their bodies were placed there, or posed, I think they died in situ. There's lots of talk about one being forced to watch the other die because of the way the heads are arched at an unnatural arcs. Being shot three times is a very unnatural act and a body reacts in strange ways.

6. I personally think LE had the killer in custody (or at the very least someone who knew who the killer was) and let him go. I cannot for the life of me understand why an individual driving under the influence, with a unregistered weapon with the serial number filed off, a weapon known to be stolen, where the ballistic tests matched the bullets used to kill the couple, was released from custody using the thinnest of reasons.

I try not to apply 21st century processes to an investigation that occurred nearly half a century ago. But the laissez-faire attitude of the cops working this case is mind boggling, imo.

I have quite a few theories about this murder.

1. I don't believe they were involved in drug smuggling or any other criminal activities. I believe it was a targeted hit.

2. I believe they had their own vehicle. And that all their personal effects were in the vehicle when it was driven away. With their money and identification in purses or jackets or luggage.

3. I believe that they had no idea they were going to be executed but if they did it would have been in the very final moments.

4. I believe they may have gotten out of the vehicle either willingly for some unknown reason, or thinking their car was going to be hijacked and they were going to be abandoned on a lonely dirt road, that's it.

5. Without autopsy photos or the written results illustrating wound placement, I think they may have been shot in the back first then rolled over and shot in the chest. The shot to the throat was a message. And if I want to insert some conspiracy theory info, to ensure they were easily identifiable to the individual(s) who orchestrated the hit. I also believe to deliver those shots takes more than luck, it takes practice.

5. I don't believe their bodies were placed there, or posed, I think they died in situ. There's lots of talk about one being forced to watch the other die because of the way the heads are arched at an unnatural arcs. Being shot three times is a very unnatural act and a body reacts in strange ways.

6. I personally think LE had the killer in custody (or at the very least someone who knew who the killer was) and let him go. I cannot for the life of me understand why an individual driving under the influence, with a unregistered weapon with the serial number filed off, a weapon known to be stolen, where the ballistic tests matched the bullets used to kill the couple, was released from custody using the thinnest of reasons.

I try not to apply 21st century processes to an investigation that occurred nearly half a century ago. But the laissez-faire attitude of the cops working this case is mind boggling, imo.
Yes, yes and absolutely yes. I concur, all the way around.

I’ve tried applying no investigative process or techniques, as seems to be what’s been done since 1976 (if one were to ask me and they didn’t), and the very laissez-faire attitude(s) you mentioned make me believe a lot of answers lie in what has not been done in this case rather than something that’s just been missed or overlooked in what has been done - which is next to nothing considering the amount of time between then and now and the number of hands this case has to have passed through (or is that the problem; too many hands? the wrong hands?) - and exactly why those things haven’t been done. “Technology wasn’t as advanced back then” & “records have been destroyed and people have since died”, can only explain so much and for so long.

I don’t know exactly what genuine efforts are being made in order to solve this (and by ‘solve this’, I mean identify the pair of murder victims) by anyone other than the DDP (and people like ourselves), but I’d think there would be someone or some entity wanting desperately to close this case. If for no other reason than the notoriety and “attaboy” they’d receive.

These are just my $0.01 opinions and are not meant to be accusatory or offensive. I’ve worked in LE and have a fair understanding of interagency politics as well as the general standards and practices when it comes to investigations. So to be fair, I’m not exactly shooting fish in a barrel here. On the other side of the coin, I know nothing about LE or the agencies in Sumter, South Carolina; in 1976 or today, so I very well may have missed the mark.

Again, just my own opinions. This case is very frustrating to me. I want just as much as any of us to see “The Mystery Couple” identified and justice served for them.

Previously, when I envisioned Locklair Rd, I was under the impression it was the first road off the I-95 or at the very least a road that intersected county road 341. In actual fact it is off another road making it even more remote. It makes me wonder what exits existed back in 1976 and whether or not smaller roads still has some access to the I-95.

I was under the same impression until studying online maps prior to my visit. And it is true in the middle of Locklair Road. Given the angles that 1.2 mile road moves very close to I-95 and is absolutely the closest road at that point. I filmed a video from there and had to deal with road noise. That's how close it was. There is an photo someone snapped from I-95 showing Locklair Road just east of the highway. I have seen that photo several times while checking out this case.

This is not straight parallel to straight. I-95 is curving slightly and Locklair sharply dips inward. It is a very rare situation where the dirt frontage road off an interstate begins its life outside other roads. At the north end -- where I believe the bodies were located -- Locklair is a full 3/4 of a mile from I-95. I made sure to check my odometer to get the specifics. Online accounts pegged 1/2 mile but it is closer to 3/4. As you indicated it is not the first road. I even drove past a home on the right side perhaps 1/4 mile before arriving at the Locklair intersection.

I don't think the exits would have changed since 1976. I'm not sure about that but there's seemingly no reason for it in an area without a population explosion.

Oh wow!! I finally watched the video! (No disrespect to you whatsoever, I just get an uneasy feeling about seeing some things like that.)

I think you absolutely found the location! And it is not nearly as “secluded” as I was picturing. Your video really helps put that into perspective!

Thank you. I'm increasingly confident it is the correct location. There was only one other area with some resemblance but that was smack in the middle of Locklair very close to I-95. The banks on either side of Locklair in that area were flat, with no signs of a gulley then upslope. Also the tree cover didn't end with a big open field behind, per the published photo from 1976.

There were far more secluded choices available. The killer had to know it wouldn't be long before the bodies were discovered. But he also knew he wasn't in jeopardy of being spotted in the act. This is a lowly traveled dirt road. I feel confident saying less than 5 vehicles cross it per day, on average. The connecting Lynches River Road is an entirely different story. It is used by local families including to and from I-95. As I mentioned in another post today, Locklair is 3/4 of a mile from the I-95 ramp. There are two nearby homes on Lynches Rover Road, maybe 1/4 mile away in either direction from the Locklair/Lynches intersection. I have no idea if they were there in summer 1976. My guess would be yes.

After visiting Locklair I turned right (east) and drove away from the highway, merely to check out the area. There was a paved rural road with several homes. I would guess it was 1/2 mile further away from I-95. That is the closest north/south road running parallel to the freeway with homes and rural farmland normalcy. Maybe the gunshots could be heard from there. I'm not sure how far the noise travels. But it was only a few well spaced homes, not back to back to back like suburbia. Nobody would be springing to action and heading immediately to Locklair Road.

There was a lot more tree cover near the bodies in 1976 than would be the case now. That would add to feeling of seclusion, despite being close to the intersection with Lynches Rover Road. There are several subsequent online photos of that area of Locklair over the years. It appears that some type of disease overtook the trees on both sides. Thinner and thinner. Before my visit I wasn't sure how much would be remaining. I was actually somewhat pleased that it was still recognizable from the 1976 photo.

Thank you. I'm increasingly confident it is the correct location. There was only one other area with some resemblance but that was smack in the middle of Locklair very close to I-95. The banks on either side of Locklair in that area were flat, with no signs of a gulley then upslope. Also the tree cover didn't end with a big open field behind, per the published photo from 1976.

There were far more secluded choices available. The killer had to know it wouldn't be long before the bodies were discovered. But he also knew he wasn't in jeopardy of being spotted in the act. This is a lowly traveled dirt road. I feel confident saying less than 5 vehicles cross it per day, on average. The connecting Lynches River Road is an entirely different story. It is used by local families including to and from I-95. As I mentioned in another post today, Locklair is 3/4 of a mile from the I-95 ramp. There are two nearby homes on Lynches Rover Road, maybe 1/4 mile away in either direction from the Locklair/Lynches intersection. I have no idea if they were there in summer 1976. My guess would be yes.

After visiting Locklair I turned right (east) and drove away from the highway, merely to check out the area. There was a paved rural road with several homes. I would guess it was 1/2 mile further away from I-95. That is the closest north/south road running parallel to the freeway with homes and rural farmland normalcy. Maybe the gunshots could be heard from there. I'm not sure how far the noise travels. But it was only a few well spaced homes, not back to back to back like suburbia. Nobody would be springing to action and heading immediately to Locklair Road.

There was a lot more tree cover near the bodies in 1976 than would be the case now. That would add to feeling of seclusion, despite being close to the intersection with Lynches Rover Road. There are several subsequent online photos of that area of Locklair over the years. It appears that some type of disease overtook the trees on both sides. Thinner and thinner. Before my visit I wasn't sure how much would be remaining. I was actually somewhat pleased that it was still recognizable from the 1976 photo.
I know this has been discussed before and I apologize for being repetitive but the location is becoming more and more interesting to me (again). Just to make sure I’m in the right place, because without flashing neon arrows guiding me I’d probably have a difficult time finding my own street this way LOL. I see 95 and Lynches River, but the dirt road to the far left is Locklair? You’re familiar with the area so will probably know immediately if it. I wanted to get a feel for what’s around that road...

ETA: because I think you could be right in that whoever dumped them here knew it was secluded enough but not so that it would be any significant amount of time before someone discovered them. I also see now how easily a trucker could have pulled off here. I was envisioning a place that would be difficult for a vehicle that size to maneuver. It’s clearly not. It’s also easier to understand how the truck driver could have gone about notifying someone nearby who then alerted authorities. Makes much more sense now...

Attachments

• 797F8E56-6054-492E-A672-B6039CF062C8.jpeg
    797F8E56-6054-492E-A672-B6039CF062C8.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I was under the same impression until studying online maps prior to my visit. And it is true in the middle of Locklair Road. Given the angles that 1.2 mile road moves very close to I-95 and is absolutely the closest road at that point. I filmed a video from there and had to deal with road noise. That's how close it was. There is an photo someone snapped from I-95 showing Locklair Road just east of the highway. I have seen that photo several times while checking out this case.

This is not straight parallel to straight. I-95 is curving slightly and Locklair sharply dips inward. It is a very rare situation where the dirt frontage road off an interstate begins its life outside other roads. At the north end -- where I believe the bodies were located -- Locklair is a full 3/4 of a mile from I-95. I made sure to check my odometer to get the specifics. Online accounts pegged 1/2 mile but it is closer to 3/4. As you indicated it is not the first road. I even drove past a home on the right side perhaps 1/4 mile before arriving at the Locklair intersection.

I don't think the exits would have changed since 1976. I'm not sure about that but there's seemingly no reason for it in an area without a population explosion.

I did see a photo shot by the investigators when they were on the scene. It did appear quite close to the hwy and that the foliage surrounding the area was fairly dense from trees that appeared to be at least 10 to 15 years old. Of course, I can't seem to find that image. It's quite possible that it's in one of the numerous threads regarding this crime but that's a lot to slog through.

(for convenient comparison...these are clips from previously linked articles)
View attachment 228284 View attachment 228283
I had read about your thoughts on the cemetery...I’m glad to know they’re not in a rundown, forgotten location. I don’t know the exact location of the fruit stand they visited. I found a photo in a SC paper of a peach stand and a burger joint... it reminded me of these Does. Thanks again for the videos and photos!
Is it one of these two? @branmuffin

Is it one of these two? @branmuffin
Very similar to the second image. But unless that image is overexposed the one I remember seemed to include more vista. But you can see that the foliage behind the investigators does seem to be from large shrubs or trees. I've been checking tree types that grow in that area and I am fairly certain that the pine trees you see behind the standing investigators may be slash pines which are native to SC and are aggressive growers. Their needles can be up to 12 inches in length. Those trees look like they could be at least 30 feet high.

I travel very frequently to Florida and have always been tempted to make a slight detour to this spot to give me a sense of isolation, access, orientation and distance from the off ramp. While I agree that a regular long distance truck driver may have found that off ramp to be quiet and perfect for resting, the car that was heard arriving and quickly leaving after gunshots would probably be a local.

I have seen it said--somewhere else in this forum, because I haven't read about them anywhere else--that the KOA campground dude is related to or connected to the guy who owned the gun.

Because in 1976 he's very unlikely to have had a portable phone and probably didn't even have a CB radio. Most likely "contacted" means he went to the nearest place he'd seen that might have a phone and asked the employee to call the police using the store phone.

And yes, there are a lot of truckers who find bodies--I suspect that the same things that catch the attention of someone looking to dispose of a body, like a place to pull off the highway, also attracts the attention of a trucker looking to pull off to check their load or take a leak. And then they find themselves looking down at roadside remains. (Other big categories of remains-finders are hunters, mushroom gatherers, and fisherfolk. All people who have reason to be in out of the way places, looking closely at the ground.)

The main thing this story tells me is that all the talk about how remote the location is...maybe isn't quite as true as looking at the map and photos would suggest.

Well I've never been able to make a connection between Batson and Henry but I suspect there probably is one. I always run into a dead end when I try but I'm always keeping an eye out for it.
A genealogist could probably do in days what it takes me months to do but I have found a few connections.
I have found atleast two family connections between George Henry and Ira Byrd Parnell and I'm almost certain that there are several more. It's not all that close but one of these connections just happens to come through a family known as Locklair. I don't know that it means anything but I still find it interesting. Theses families were very intertwined. They were marrying their 2nd and 3rd cousins on a regular basis.
Now this is not just genealogical profiling but is also geographical profiling. These people are in all the right places.
Taking all this into account I still doubt if any of it could lead to these victims names. If and when they are identified by DNA it will be interesting to see if there is a connection to this area.

Hi, I've been following this case for a long time. I'm also Canadian. I have found that many Americans miss the slight differences in pronunciation in French. The proper pronunciation of Jacques sounds like Zsa as in Zsa Zsa Gabor with a soft 'k' on the end. To an untrained ear they would pronounce it to rhyme with lock with a very hard 'k'.

My personal opinion on this couple is that they are not American at all.

All depends. Two francophone "Jacques" I serve with here in the NCR.

Both pronounce differently. One is a New Brunswick Acadian and the other Quebecois. Neither is, like you've stated, pronounced as "Jock" …. one is akin to a "G awe ck", the other is like a "G ack". Soft Gs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member