Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #10

I wonder if running their photos through some major newspapers or media outlets, especially those close to the crime scene and places they may have been (Grant’s Truck Stop, Sebring races, etc.), would jog anyone’s memory who might remember them. It’s a long shot, as many have said it’s been so long.

I’d love to see some major attention from a big outlet. As for local people, what is so frustrating is that those nearby are/were well aware of this crime. It’s just been so long now that I think it’s hopeless that someone suddenly remembers something. I’ve just thought more and more that somebody may come clean on a deathbed. That sounds awful as I read it back but that may be our only shot.

I’d love to see some major attention from a big outlet. As for local people, what is so frustrating is that those nearby are/were well aware of this crime. It’s just been so long now that I think it’s hopeless that someone suddenly remembers something. I’ve just thought more and more that somebody may come clean on a deathbed. That sounds awful as I read it back but that may be our only shot.
Evelyn Colon’s case gives me hope. An arrest in her case was nothing shy of a miracle. Different circumstances obviously, but maybe something like a deathbed confession will lead to some sort of justice for Pam and Jim.

• James was found with a ‘Grants Truck Stop’ matchbox. And apparently there were 3 Grants Truck Stops in the US during 70’s, one being in Nebraska. (I’ve found out from an old newspaper that this truck stop was in Waco Interchange/Nebraska)
  • A mechanic from Nebraska said that he had met the couple, fixed their van and the van had plates from either Oregon or Washington.
Now, on Google Maps, when I start a journey from Lancaster/Pennsylvania (where James is from and was last seen) to Oregon/Washington, the road goes through the Grants Truck Stop in Nebraska.

And when I set the journey the other way around, from Oregon or Washington to Pennsylvania, it again goes through the Grants Truck Stop.
Of course I might be all wrong, or it might be coincidental. But given the evidence, it might be true that they had an Oregon or Washington plate van and that they have passed through Grants Truck Stop in Nebraska.

I've been trying to look at the same evidence again and again, with different perspective.
  • James was found with a ‘Grants Truck Stop’ matchbox. And apparently there were 3 Grants Truck Stops in the US during 70’s, one being in Nebraska. (I’ve found out from an old newspaper that this truck stop was in Waco Interchange/Nebraska)
  • A mechanic from Nebraska said that he had met the couple, fixed their van and the van had plates from either Oregon or Washington.
Now, on Google Maps, when I start a journey from Lancaster/Pennsylvania (where James is from and was last seen) to Oregon/Washington, the road goes through the Grants Truck Stop in Nebraska.

And when I set the journey the other way around, from Oregon or Washington to Pennsylvania, it again goes through the Grants Truck Stop in Waco Interchange/Nebraska.
Of course I might be all wrong, or it might be coincidental. But given the evidence, it might be true that they had an Oregon or Washington plate van and that they have passed through Grants Truck Stop in Nebraska.

I know it's not a very important piece of information but as McGoo said, they could contact whoever worked at Grants Truck Stop in Nebraska during 75 and 76. Or they might look at local sales of cars that had a plate from Washington/Oregon.

Those are some good and interesting points @doshidori , I had kind of written the matches off as could have came from anywhere. I wish we could know for sure if and what they were driving. I’ve said before that I think Pamela was dressed perfect for someone traveling thru the south in a car.

• A very interesting point is.. Both James and Pamela last contacted their families in December and didn’t contact their friends and family for months. Why?
This isn't completely clear when it comes to Pamela imo. Who saw her in December and who reported her missing? Her husband or her parents? That's something that hasn't been established. I mentioned this before, but I think it's possible that Pam left and her husband filed a missing person's report so he could establish that her location was unknown and he could proceed with a divorce. He remarried soon after it was finalized.

This isn't completely clear when it comes to Pamela imo. Who saw her in December and who reported her missing? Her husband or her parents? That's something that hasn't been established. I mentioned this before, but I think it's possible that Pam left and her husband filed a missing person's report so he could establish that her location was unknown and he could proceed with a divorce. He remarried soon after it was finalized.

Do these missing reports even exist?

• They were shot methodically, execution style. Whoever killed them is not an amateur. It’s a person that was trained or experienced in executing. Usually people that are experienced in executing are not local car thieves, but they are members of mafia or gangs (members of police and army also possible).
For all this, I have my own ideas of what might have occured but I do not want to offend anyone.
A few months back I was listening to the Mind Over Murder podcast and criminologist Dr. Laura Pettler was the guest. She spoke at length about how crime scenes are a reflection of the personality of the offender and the scene will meet the needs of the offender. Applying that philosophy to Pamela and James I agree that their killer was not an amateur. There's no emotion reflected in the crime scene. It's methodical, no overkill, no anger. They weren't dragged away from the road, covered, or altered in anyway that would show the killer felt connected to them. No staging means no relationship. They were killed and dumped with complete indifference.

Do these missing reports even exist?
https://www.investigationdiscovery....you-know-who-shot-and-killed-former-colorado-

At the time of murder, Buckely was 25-years-old. She would have been 69 today. WACH reports Buckely was the former Redwood Jaycees Sno-Queen in 1970 and was supposed to become Miss. Redwood Falls in 1971. Instead of moving up in pageants, she made a decision to tour the country with a folk trio called, "Sunlending," the report adds. Buckley was reportedly officially reported missing in 1975 by her family.

Sorry for the multiple posts. This is from The State and it seems to be the best article.
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article248671040.html

Buckley was born in 1951 and was from Minnesota, the [Sumter sheriff's] office said. She was last seen in and reported missing from Colorado Springs in December 1975. Freund was born in 1946 and was last seen in the Lancaster, Pennsylvania area in December 1975. No one appears to have reported him missing, according to the office. Buckley was 25 years old and Freund 30 when they were killed.

Sorry for the multiple posts. This is from The State and it seems to be the best article.
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article248671040.html

Buckley was born in 1951 and was from Minnesota, the [Sumter sheriff's] office said. She was last seen in and reported missing from Colorado Springs in December 1975. Freund was born in 1946 and was last seen in the Lancaster, Pennsylvania area in December 1975. No one appears to have reported him missing, according to the office. Buckley was 25 years old and Freund 30 when they were killed.

Thanks and you make some very good observations above about the scene.

I've been trying to look at the same evidence again and again, with different perspective.

And when I set the journey the other way around, from Oregon or Washington to Pennsylvania, it again goes through the Grants Truck Stop in Waco Interchange/Nebraska.

I know it's not a very important piece of information but as McGoo said, they could contact whoever worked at Grants Truck Stop in Nebraska during 75 and 76. Or they might look at local sales of cars that had a plate from Washington/Oregon.
1970s Grant's Truck Stops Boise ID York NE Lupton AZ MB | Trucks, Grants, York

Those are some good and interesting points @doshidori , I had kind of written the matches off as could have came from anywhere. I wish we could know for sure if and what they were driving. I’ve said before that I think Pamela was dressed perfect for someone traveling thru the south in a car.
I totally agree, she was dressed mid summer with a muslim blouse, halter top over it, cut off jeans and sandals, I don't know what the temperature was around the time, they were killed but it's odd, the clothes she wore if they were hitchhiking...?
So I definitely believe, they had their own wheels!

I totally agree, she was dressed mid summer with a muslim blouse, halter top over it, cut off jeans and sandals, I don't know what the temperature was around the time, they were killed but it's odd, the clothes she wore if they were hitchhiking...?
So I definitely believe, they had their own wheels!

Sumter in August would be blistering hot but I’ve read that at the time this happened, there was some rain around. Still, very hot seas9n.

I used that to look at the weather in PA and Colorado around the time they disappeared and it led me to think they didn’t leave home hitchhiking.

No, people in Colorado Springs and Lancaster, PA would only hitchhike in December if it was an emergency. Very cold and snowy.

James was a trained mechanic, per the archived article about his Army training. He would have a vehicle of some sort.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veryinterested68
Back