Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #10

Anyway, FDF was “somewhere” in NC in 1974:

“Floyd told the investigators how he had met Sandi, a mother of four, at a truck stop in North Carolina in 1974.”

Girl in the Picture killer's chilling confession revealed by ex-FBI agent
So FDF had s sister in Sumter SC and was in NC in 1974. I'm not seeing anything else that ties him to being in SC in 1976 or to any other aspects of the crime. He seems to have been a fugitive living under an alias between 1973 and 1990, spending at least some of the time in Georgia. He also seems to be mostly accused of assaulting or killing women and children, and also leaving his victims near roadways. But is there anything beyond this linking him to the murders? Am I missing something?

So FDF had s sister in Sumter SC and was in NC in 1974. I'm not seeing anything else that ties him to being in SC in 1976 or to any other aspects of the crime. He seems to have been a fugitive living under an alias between 1973 and 1990, spending at least some of the time in Georgia. He also seems to be mostly accused of assaulting or killing women and children, and also leaving his victims near roadways. But is there anything beyond this linking him to the murders? Am I missing something?
It seems,that FDF was a truck driver,att and lived under an alias in Charlotte,NC.
He was gone for days,without explanation.He usually drove a pick-up trucks.

Some friends of Suzanne Sevakis said,FDF was always carrying guns, wherever he went.
His first crime was, (at the age of 16) stealing a gun, wich resulted in a shoot out with police..
source : Matt Birkbeck - finding Sharon

(it just stricked me,some similarities)

imo,it wouldn’t surprise me,if he had something to do with the robbery of the murder weapon, or used 6 yo Suzanne,to look more trustworthy,a father with a young daughter…to get a hitchhike from Pam and James, wich lead to car theft,stealing cash or money?
I don’t remember reading,that cash or wallets were found on James or Pam.

FDF was born in 1943,must have been 33, in 1976.

Last edited:
Neither North Carolina nor South Carolina require the serial number of a hand gun to be registered in any kind of central information bank. The only thing required in both states is that there is a record of all permits issued for a hand gun, listing the name, date, place of residence and age. They only seem interested in the request to purchase rather than knowing another handgun has actually been bought. I find that odd. Since they've got all the other info why not add the serial number after purchase? Was it too onerous to dig through files and update them?

If LE found the weapon was part of a larger theft of weapons it seems like it was up to the individual owner to keep their own records which is how they must have found it was stolen.

Did anyone follow the Ahmaud Arbery murder? One of the convicted killers of that young man stated they'd had an unsecured, unregistered weapon stolen from their unlocked truck (dumb, dumber and dumbest) and thought possibly a black man must have done it since he ran regularly through their neighbourhood. What a great way to cast aspersions on someone without showing any evidence to support those claims. So how do we know that this weapon was actually part of a theft and not passed through numerous hands to divert attention?

GLH may have had the weapon and attempted to destroy the serial number but there was a chain of custody in a way since he stated his brother gave it to him. Yet if that was the case why did he try to obliterate the serial number? Was he trying to protect his brother or some other family member? Was he part of a theft ring? It seems without actually trying to connect GLH to the location of the murder, relying on a flimsy alibi, LE just stopped that thread, it appears. So frustrating.

I suppose, in the end, it was up to the Sumter County LE and prosecuting attorney to complete the investigation and bring charges. They didn't, for some reason. This is reminding me of a car theft ring and murder in NC back in the 70's, I'll have to look it up.

Here's an old FBI report detailing crime in the area in the 1960's and 70's

There were lots of motor vehicle thefts down there.

The division frequently investigated motor vehicle theft rings. Criminals often used South Carolina as a “drop and sell” state for Cadillacs and boats stolen in New York or Florida and for Lincoln Mark IIIs stolen in Detroit. During the late 1970s, Columbia ran an operation called Ambush that uncovered a major nationwide auto and heavy equipment theft conspiracy. The case led to 38 indictments and to the recovery of $650,000 in stolen vehicles.

Last edited:
I suppose, in the end, it was up to the Sumter County LE and prosecuting attorney to complete the investigation and bring charges. They didn't, for some reason. This is reminding me of a car theft ring and murder in NC back in the 70's, I'll have to look it up.
LGH died in '82 according to some sources. If he hadn't, they might have gotten around to charging him eventually. Who knows for sure.

He was 58 when this crime occurred, which seems a little old to be committing this type of crime. I can't help but wonder whether he was covering for a younger relative.

LGH died in '82 according to some sources. If he hadn't, they might have gotten around to charging him eventually. Who knows for sure.

He was 58 when this crime occurred, which seems a little old to be committing this type of crime. I can't help but wonder whether he was covering for a younger relative.

I think one of his sons died before he did. I think he drowned. I have no idea if they had any criminal records.

I think one of his sons died before he did. I think he drowned. I have no idea if they had any criminal records.
LGH 's son drowned,during a fishing trip,with two others.
The boat turned over and one survived.
I think the old news paper clip is posted somewhere on this thread.

From my memory,Lonnie's son was around his 20ss ,att.

Here's an old FBI report detailing crime in the area in the 1960's and 70's

There were lots of motor vehicle thefts down there.
That’s interesting!,thanks @Betty P

A lot going on during the 70ss ;-)

Some snipped quotes from your link:

- “The case led to 38 indictments and to the recovery of $650,000 in stolen vehicles.”

- “The division frequently investigated motor vehicle theft rings. Criminals often used South Carolina as a “drop and sell” state for Cadillacs and boats stolen in New York or Florida and for Lincoln Mark IIIs stolen in Detroit.

- “In 1972, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division asked the division to look into activities of a powerful Anderson County sheriff. The investigation revealed that the sheriff had allowed an inmate con artist out of jail to fraudulently purchase cars, trailers, and a boat by passing bad checks.”

(makes me wonder how and where connections,where made by —all walks of life: travelers,criminals,perps etc. Was that at truck stops -bars?)

As you might know,through my several,previous post & interest,I have a fascination with old cases,mysteries,during 60/70/80ss time….

I searched for truck stops in NC,during the 70ss,just to picture the time,att —here is what I found:

“The Kenly 95 Truckstop was founded just outside of Kenly, North Carolina along Interstate 95. Land was purchased in 1973 with intentions of starting to build the next year. As a result of the oil embargo of 1973-1974, funds were tight and construction was delayed until 1979. Once construction was began, it moved quickly. The doors were opened to the public on May 5, 1980 as Truckland Truckstop”

“The truckstop included a small store, sit down restaurant, and diesel fuel islands. Two years later, in 1982, the company became a franchisee of Truckstops of America. Now operating under the name Truckstops of America“

Kenly 95 | Truckstop on Interstate 95 in North Carolina

So,in the 70ss,the truck stops establishment were more focused,on shops, bars,etc??!

Also another question,that raised,during read on FBI and LE,during that time….from your post…

Was Fraternal Order of Police (FOP known in SC / NC?
And how did that work(ed) exactly??

^Thats really confusing for me…sorry

That’s interesting!,thanks @Betty P

A lot going on during the 70ss ;-)

Some snipped quotes from your link:

- “The case led to 38 indictments and to the recovery of $650,000 in stolen vehicles.”

- “The division frequently investigated motor vehicle theft rings. Criminals often used South Carolina as a “drop and sell” state for Cadillacs and boats stolen in New York or Florida and for Lincoln Mark IIIs stolen in Detroit.

- “In 1972, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division asked the division to look into activities of a powerful Anderson County sheriff. The investigation revealed that the sheriff had allowed an inmate con artist out of jail to fraudulently purchase cars, trailers, and a boat by passing bad checks.”

(makes me wonder how and where connections,where made by —all walks of life: travelers,criminals,perps etc. Was that at truck stops -bars?)

As you might know,through my several,previous post & interest,I have a fascination with old cases,mysteries,during 60/70/80ss time….

I searched for truck stops in NC,during the 70ss,just to picture the time,att —here is what I found:

“The Kenly 95 Truckstop was founded just outside of Kenly, North Carolina along Interstate 95. Land was purchased in 1973 with intentions of starting to build the next year. As a result of the oil embargo of 1973-1974, funds were tight and construction was delayed until 1979. Once construction was began, it moved quickly. The doors were opened to the public on May 5, 1980 as Truckland Truckstop”

“The truckstop included a small store, sit down restaurant, and diesel fuel islands. Two years later, in 1982, the company became a franchisee of Truckstops of America. Now operating under the name Truckstops of America“

Kenly 95 | Truckstop on Interstate 95 in North Carolina

So,in the 70ss,the truck stops establishment were more focused,on shops, bars,etc??!

Also another question,that raised,during read on FBI and LE,during that time….from your post…

Was Fraternal Order of Police (FOP known in SC / NC?
And how did that work(ed) exactly??

^Thats really confusing for me…sorry

I don't know about FOP, but truck stops were growing in popularity back then. They were open 24/7 and were frequented by the night owls.

Remember, the remote, undeveloped area not far from I95, where Pam and Jim were killed was close to a spot where it was reported that local truckers, delivery drivers, etc. used to hang out night and day. A gathering place of sorts. Check back in the threads for the media reference to it.

I don't know about FOP, but truck stops were growing in popularity back then. They were open 24/7 and were frequented by the night owls.

Remember, the remote, undeveloped area not far from I95, where Pam and Jim were killed was close to a spot where it was reported that local truckers, delivery drivers, etc. used to hang out night and day. A gathering place of sorts. Check back in the threads for the media reference to it.
A spot nearby? on I95?

Pam could give some truck stop gigs,at bars,there,during her travels.

Sorry,if it has been asked before,or kept circling around,but from where did the I95 lead to exactly?
I looked at the map,and saw/was distracted by some places nearby, that I went down a lot,chasing rabbit holes..

A spot nearby? on I95?

Pam could give some truck stop gigs,at bars,there,during her travels.

Sorry,if it has been asked before,or kept circling around,but from where did the I95 lead to exactly?
I looked at the map,and saw/was distracted by some places nearby, that I went down a lot,chasing rabbit holes..

I don't know about any truck stops nearby, but the spot where their bodies were found was off a road in a rural area that was just a mile or so off 195.

I'll see if I can find those threads.

SOUTH of the BORDER :

”My dad, Joe Schafer, had come home after graduating from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and was living in Dillon. As early as I can remember he owned the South of the Border gas station, which, at one time, was reputed to be the busiest gas station on the East Coast. I remember the first building. It was made of tin and had no insulation. My dad put it on a flatbed truck and brought it to our house where he opened it up and it became a stable for a pony named Diamond.

As a teenager I helped my dad at the gas station, and one time, when he had a helicopter ride, I ran that on the weekends. I remember South of the Border when there was nothing on the west side of Highway 301 except fields of cotton and peanuts. Uncle Alan added a zoo and a Putt-Putt golf course, and then just kept going. The fireworks outlet, I have been told, is or was the busiest in the United States. I have also been told that Alan did not believe in borrowing money. He did not build something till he had saved the money to build it.

My uncle was very involved in politics….”

(South of the Border was blooming and still exist)

More about SOTB & the 70ss :

”South of the Border began as a 600 square foot stand selling beer to thirsty patrons from dry counties north of the border in North Carolina and has developed into a 300 acre complex with such diverse features as a motel and campground, six restaurants, a theme park, mini-golf, fireworks store, gas stations and more than a dozen gift shops with everything from Mexican jumping beans to antiques. In the beginning Mr. Alan Schafer worked the stand by himself and now SOTB is run by the third generation of the Schafer family and hundreds of employees, making it the biggest employer in Dillon County, S.C..,,”

Nearly 70 years of south of the border fun

(seems like a 70ss + hotspot to me — not far where the CS of James and Pamela) 60,3 miles

Locklear Road to South of the Border Motor Inn

ETA :

(hopefully correctly,linked?)

Last edited:
SOUTH of the BORDER :

”My dad, Joe Schafer, had come home after graduating from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and was living in Dillon. As early as I can remember he owned the South of the Border gas station, which, at one time, was reputed to be the busiest gas station on the East Coast. I remember the first building. It was made of tin and had no insulation. My dad put it on a flatbed truck and brought it to our house where he opened it up and it became a stable for a pony named Diamond.

As a teenager I helped my dad at the gas station, and one time, when he had a helicopter ride, I ran that on the weekends. I remember South of the Border when there was nothing on the west side of Highway 301 except fields of cotton and peanuts. Uncle Alan added a zoo and a Putt-Putt golf course, and then just kept going. The fireworks outlet, I have been told, is or was the busiest in the United States. I have also been told that Alan did not believe in borrowing money. He did not build something till he had saved the money to build it.

My uncle was very involved in politics….”

(South of the Border was blooming and still exist)

More about SOTB & the 70ss :

”South of the Border began as a 600 square foot stand selling beer to thirsty patrons from dry counties north of the border in North Carolina and has developed into a 300 acre complex with such diverse features as a motel and campground, six restaurants, a theme park, mini-golf, fireworks store, gas stations and more than a dozen gift shops with everything from Mexican jumping beans to antiques. In the beginning Mr. Alan Schafer worked the stand by himself and now SOTB is run by the third generation of the Schafer family and hundreds of employees, making it the biggest employer in Dillon County, S.C..,,”

Nearly 70 years of south of the border fun

(seems like a 70ss + hotspot to me — not far where the CS of James and Pamela) 60,3 miles

ETA :

(hopefully correctly,linked?)

This would be the same South of the Border that the rental car Helen Fuller was traveling in was found when she went missing from Durham NC in 1983.

This would be the same South of the Border that the rental car Helen Fuller was traveling in was found when she went missing from Durham NC in 1983.

I think you two are possibly onto something here.

I've also always suspected Pam and Jim were taken to Locklear Rd to be shot and dumped because it was away from where the hijacking/theft, etc. took place. They were taken do a different LE jurisdiction, JMO.

ETA: I also wanted to add there's a comment back in the early pages of this thread in which it's discussed that the gun used to kill Pam and Jim was a .357, the same type of gun mostly used by LE officers back then.

Someone also mentioned that the way they were shot - 3 shots each, 2 to the body, one to the head; six shots total for the number of bullets in the gun - was also the way LE and military were trained to shoot back then.

Last edited:

I've also always suspected Pam and Jim were taken to Locklear Rd to be shot and dumped because it was away from where the hijacking/theft, etc. took place. They were taken do a different LE jurisdiction, JMO.

ETA: I also wanted to add there's a comment back in the early pages of this thread in which it's discussed that the gun used to kill Pam and Jim was a .357, the same type of gun mostly used by LE officers back then.

Someone also mentioned that the way they were shot - 3 shots each, 2 to the body, one to the head; six shots total for the number of bullets in the gun - was also the way LE and military were trained to shoot back then.

ETA: Correction: Pam and Jim were each shot 3 times each in the chest/torso area. They were not shot in the head.

I just finished listening to one of the podcasts about this case and it clarified all the details again, but there weren't any new insights. Any recommendations on other podcasts on this case?

It seems,that FDF was a truck driver,att and lived under an alias in Charlotte,NC.
He was gone for days,without explanation.He usually drove a pick-up trucks.

Some friends of Suzanne Sevakis said,FDF was always carrying guns, wherever he went.
His first crime was, (at the age of 16) stealing a gun, wich resulted in a shoot out with police..
source : Matt Birkbeck - finding Sharon

(it just stricked me,some similarities)

imo,it wouldn’t surprise me,if he had something to do with the robbery of the murder weapon, or used 6 yo Suzanne,to look more trustworthy,a father with a young daughter…to get a hitchhike from Pam and James, wich lead to car theft,stealing cash or money?
I don’t remember reading,that cash or wallets were found on James or Pam.

FDF was born in 1943,must have been 33, in 1976.

No, their wallet and purse were missing, no money found. LE thought it interesting that they didn't steal their watches or jewelry.

No, their wallet and purse were missing, no money found. LE thought it interesting that they didn't steal their watches or jewelry.
Maybe that took too much time,and it was pitch dark,when they were shoot.
Imo,it looks more,like quick killings and getaway.

Didnt the body’s of Pamela and James look (when found after,they were shot) while they tried to run away?

Last edited:
WS Post from 2008,about the Fruitstand,that I found remarkable:

Fruitstand Florence
"Also at the bottom a month after they were killed one of the fruit stands was broken into and they stole fruit and beer????"
Post in thread 'Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #3'
Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #3

Was it common,during these days,to take the profits for the day/ week to the bank,or kept, in the store — in a safe?)
Seems odd,that someone breaks in,just to steal fruit and beer..??!

If I remember correctly, the method of three shots to a body - two to the torso (known as a double tap to centre mass) and one to the head, is referred to as the Mozambique Drill based on a mercenery's report during the Mozambique war in the 1970s. It's also referred to as the accepted method for close quarter technique.

However, I believe the three shots that killed the couple were two in the chest and one in the back. There's been some different reports that PB was shot in the throat but I think it's possibly an exit wound from the back shot. One of the frontal images from her autopsy shows a towel hiding a wound in her neck and crime scene photo in situ definitely shows a neck wound which could be an exit wound.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back