CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were planning to move soon to another city in CA. Perhaps there were deep problems that not even friends knew about. It wouldn't be the first time a spouse wanted out. Divorce is not cheap and sounds like they were well off financially. Jmo

--
Rabbi Arnie Rachlis, the leader of the University Synagogue in Irvine, Calif., said the congregation was “shocked and traumatized” at the death of Mr. Beaudette, who is the second person in the congregation’s community to have been killed in the last six months. In January, the synagogue mourned the death of Blaze Bernstein, a college student whose body was found in an Orange County park.

Mr. Beaudette was a “loving family man,” Rabbi Rachlis said, recalling how close Mr. Beaudette was with his two daughters, ages 2 and 4. “What I remember is the smile — the warm smile and the genuine pride in his kids.”
--
Scientist Fatally Shot While Camping With His Daughters - New York Times

Great area . Think "Malibu." not many can afford to live anywhere near there . The only riff raff would be like us common folk, visiting the campground .Very rural in the campground and surrounding area .It is state owned land . The old MASH set is near there.
Eta, I grew up not far from there.

Ditto this. DH and I have driven through the canyons from Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1) back to the 101 freeway many times. Calabasas, Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks are close to it, and these are fairly well-heeled areas. Although it seems remote, it still is close enough to Los Angeles, and gang members could easily drive to it. I am wondering if this could be a gang-initiation type shooting.

Also, now that it's summer, it's a straight shot to the Santa Monica Pier and Malibu beaches via the 10 freeway from some of the more crime-ridden areas of Los Angeles. I'm enclosing a link to a Los Angeles gang map, and you can see how easy it is to get to the beaches via the 10 freeway.

Los Angeles Gang Map

ETA: We've had occasional unsolved shootings along the beaches in the South Bay. I remember one guy who was biking north along the Strand (Manhattan Beach, El Segundo to Santa Monica) after midnight. He was found shot to death. I don't think anyone was ever arrested, and IIRC, LE attributed it to a gang-related shooting.

Most importantly, my heart goes out to Tristan's Family and Friends. Praying this is solved soon.

Last edited:
When was his wife's Exam? Where was his wife at the time of the shots or shot fired? If killing happened around 4:30am (911 call around 4:45am), this does not sound like a rage killing especially with young kids in tent. Maybe wife or work colleague was going to surprise him with a visit Saturday. They were both moving to Bay Area with new jobs. I IMO this seems does not appear to be random killing and appears maybe was targeted. Perhaps whoever called 911 knew kids were in the tent. Tents sites spread out and police found him bleeding to death in tent. Were girls crying? 4 year old's statement, recollection of what she can remember will be important.

When was his wife's Exam? Where was his wife at the time of the shots or shot fired? If killing happened around 4:30am (911 call around 4:45am), this does not sound like a rage killing especially with young kids in tent. Maybe wife or work colleague was going to surprise him with a visit Saturday. They were both moving to Bay Area with new jobs. I IMO this seems does not appear to be random killing and appears maybe was targeted. Perhaps whoever called 911 knew kids were in the tent. Tents sites spread out and police found him bleeding to death in tent. Were girls crying? 4 year old's statement, recollection of what she can remember will be important.
His wife's brother and his children with this father and his children, were camping together in separate tents. I imagine the brother called police.

I wonder if there was someone who got loud, woke him up and he confronted them. Years ago we were at a national park and there were some drunk campers. They were loud and obnoxious and my husband asked them to tone it down and one of the drunk men got angry and defensive and threatened us with a gun. We couldn’t find a ranger anywhere, and this was in the days when cell phones were few and far between. Our young son was with us, it was quite tense and scary for a while. Somehow we finally got the guy calmed down, but maybe we were just lucky. Or blessed.

My point, there are crazy people who go camping, it’s a dangerous world.

Lots of background info here:

Tristan Beaudette: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

He was just promoted at Allergan. His wife is an OBGYN, there is nothing I have found except for the reporter's comment in video upstream about a divorce (that doesn't appear to be accurate). The only odd thing seems to be the timing with him quitting his job a week ago, and their relocation plans. He was shot inside the tent according to police, not through it; gun powder residue would've been found on kids or brother in law's hands if there was a mishandling incident with a gun. Personally I think he was either targeted at random by a psychopath or gang banger or this was a personal attack, perhaps linked to his leaving the company and area (financial deal gone bad? Jilted lover?) <modsnip> No way- not with little ones and family there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of background info here:

Tristan Beaudette: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

He was just promoted at Allergan. His wife is an OBGYN, there is nothing I have found except for the reporter's comment in video upstream about a divorce (that doesn't appear to be accurate). The only odd thing seems to be the timing with him quitting his job a week ago, and their relocation plans. He was shot inside the tent according to police, not through it; gun powder residue would've been found on kids or brother in law's hands if there was a mishandling incident with a gun. Personally I think he was either targeted at random by a psychopath or gang banger or this was a personal attack, perhaps linked to his leaving the company and area (financial deal gone bad? Jilted lover?)<modsnip> No way- not with little ones and family there.
I agree. <modsnip> I couldn't view the video. Did the maker of that have any reason to say that he didn't know if they were divorced or not? Or did he just assume that because his wife was not camping with them that they may have been separated?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jennifer17, the video was one posted upthread by another person. It was a comment at the end, by the reporter in the Beaudette neighborhood, saying it was unclear if he was married or divorced. Everything else I've read talks about them being married, one article said high school sweethearts. Everyone said they were a sweet family.

Ok my feelings-- I am in a similar demographic as TB: science PhD, jewish, etc. There is no way in hell I would bring a gun to a campsite, and I would bet a lot of money he didn't either. Scientists in general are not fans of guns, and Jews even less so. There's no way he had a gun with him.

I read that the kids were very loud earlier in the evening. My guess is the kids got on someones nerves, TB told them off after they confronted him/the kids, and the person returned later to shoot him. I can't see someone from work, etc killing him as he's literally at a random campsite with kids. I think it was a rage killing, likely with substances involved with the killer.

Poor kids.

Jennifer17, the video was one posted upthread by another person. It was a comment at the end, by the reporter in the Beaudette neighborhood, saying it was unclear if he was married or divorced. Everything else I've read talks about them being married, one article said high school sweethearts. Everyone said they were a sweet family.
Yes, thanks. I tried to watch the vid, but it was not available for viewing in my country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong