N.O. Police Chief resigns

BillyGoatGruff said:
I went and looked up Nagin's credentials---prior to his 2002 run for Mayor, he had never held political office before, of any kind. He was an executive at Cox Cable. And he switched from Republican to Democrat in order to get elected.
He was elected promising an end to corruption, inefficency & incompetence in NO's city hall.

Nagin seems like the one who is incompetent. He never ceases to amaze me when he comes on TV during a news conference. I don't think he knows what the heck he is talking about.

The governor looks lost also. JMO

BillyGoatGruff said:
He was elected promising an end to corruption, inefficency & incompetence in NO's city hall.
whoops! It was heck of a theory.

When Eddie Compass was sworn in as police chief of New Orleans three years ago, he took over a force that has seen its cops busted for plotting bank robbery, sent to death row for murder, and caught pocketing bribes that in one case allowed a French Quarter souvenir shop to run a scam that bilked tourists out of $1 million a year.

Compass was embraced by the community as an evangelically emotive hugger and kisser, an open crier who recalled innocent children in tough neighborhoods fleeing from police cruisers. He said that he didn't want people to be afraid of cops anymore. He took a salary cut and promised to beef up the office that investigates alleged police corruption.

Last week, Compass resigned, the same day his department announced that 249 officers--or about 15 percent of his force--would be investigated for abandoning their posts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. There were reports of a falling-out with New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin--and charges that Compass may have been forced out of his job by Nagin--leading some local politicos to accuse the mayor of scapegoating.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/051010/10cops.htm

BillyGoatGruff said:
I went and looked up Nagin's credentials---prior to his 2002 run for Mayor, he had never held political office before, of any kind. He was an executive at Cox Cable. And he switched from Republican to Democrat in order to get elected.

Interesting. Was he one of the ones questioning Brown's creds?

angelmom said:

Loudly and repetitevely. Nagin is casting accusations onto everyone except himself. He, in his own opinion, did everything right, and nobody else did anything right. Jerk.

kgeaux said:
Loudly and repetitevely. Nagin is casting accusations onto everyone except himself. He, in his own opinion, did everything right, and nobody else did anything right. Jerk.

LOL, kgeaux. We're not from there, we don't know nobody and the whole thing looks like something you would see at a movie and say there is no way that could happen like that. Be patient with us?

I think there are a lot of people to blame, not just one person or agency. And I think the Mayor is included in that. He should accept some of the blame with dignity, not try to pass the buck.

MrsMush99 said:
I think there are a lot of people to blame, not just one person or agency. And I think the Mayor is included in that. He should accept some of the blame with dignity, not try to pass the buck.

Well said.

MrsMush99 said:
I spent the weekend visiting with some people I used to know in NO who are currently in exile and preparing to return to the city this week. Surprisingly, all of them were sympathetic to Nagin. But then again, none said they would vote for him again. Most tellingly, none of them seemed to expect their mayor to be competent. This was the problem I had with the natives of the city: everyone had extremely lowered expectations when it came to their elected officials and government.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I spent the weekend visiting with some people I used to know in NO who are currently in exile and preparing to return to the city this week. Surprisingly, all of them were sympathetic to Nagin. But then again, none said they would vote for him again. Most tellingly, none of them seemed to expect their mayor to be competent. This was the problem I had with the natives of the city: everyone had extremely lowered expectations when it came to their elected officials and government.

Pitiful isn't it. It is like accept the least harmful ones. I am so glad I am not in politics.

Sally said:
Maybe the mayor and governor will catch a clue and follow suit.

They should but it is doubtful. Neither seem to be willing to stand up and say "I screwed up big time."

Gossip says that the mayor forced the Chief's resignation. Also says that they can't stand each other even though the mayor said he hoped the Chief writes to him now and then :loser:

I can't imagine a person leaving a job that they loved and had always wanted to do since they were young. If not forced to leave maybe it came to the point to where the Chief just couldn't stand to work for corrupt people anymore.

angelmom said:

Brown wasn't an elected official. Nagin was. Still is, but not for long, probably. With Nagin, just as with Brown, the people who hired him should have looked into his background. But with Nagin, he was hired by the people who elected him. The people of new Orleans, apparently. Brown was hired by ... someone else.

BirdieBoo said:
Brown wasn't an elected official. Nagin was. Still is, but not for long, probably. With Nagin, just as with Brown, the people who hired him should have looked into his background. But with Nagin, he was hired by the people who elected him. The people of new Orleans, apparently. Brown was hired by ... someone else.

I understand the difference, it just brought to mind the whole glass houses... karma...whatever. I mean, that's the kind of thing that will bite you in the *advertiser censored*. Either he is the mayor and he's competent and capable and he should be in charge, and the heck with FEMA and Gen. Honore and GWB, OR he's just the mayor and he can't do everything and didn't you know when you elected him that he had no experience with this and has no idea what he's doing. You can't go both ways just b/c of politics. Pick a lane! :p

Even if he was a cable guy and a poor mayor, it still hasn't appeared that he fudged his resume. That's the difference.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back