NASA says 'no worries' about asteroid, just before Nicaragua hit by meteorite

zwiebel

Reaction score
Yesterday, NASA tweeted this:

Bolded by me.
NASA (@NASA) tweeted at 5:09pm - 7 Sep 14:

Small asteroid will pass Earth ~2:18pm ET today. No worries. It's about 25,000 miles away: go.nasa.gov/1t3PT9Z pic.twitter.com/PUyUGLKY7R (https://twitter.com/NASA/status/508633071307218944)

That was before a loud boom was heard in Nicaragua, as a flying meteorite left a 39 feet wide x 16 feet deep crater there. Luckily, no-one appears to have been hurt as it landed in an uninhabited area near Managua Airport.

'Government spokeswoman Rosario Murillo said a committee formed by the government to study the event confirmed it was a “relatively small” meteorite that “appears to have come off an asteroid that was passing close to Earth.”

Murillo said Nicaragua will ask international experts to help local scientists in understanding what happened.'

International experts might be wise to advise everyone that the next time NASA says "No worries", it's the cue to take shelter under the table with emergency supplies, just in case.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...8b3f7c-36dd-11e4-a023-1d61f7f31a05_story.html

Picture Link
http://xfinity.comcast.net/slidesho...atinamerica-20140907-LT--Nicaragua-Meteorite/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 62
Well NASA is right , there is no need to worry. If the asteroid is going to pass Earth. No worries. It's about 25,000 miles away. Actually that is very close when you think about how big outer space it!!
And if the asteroid is going to hit Earth there is still nothing to worry about because there is nothing anyone can do to stop it, and we won't know anything about it because it will be over in an instant.
So - no worries.........:cat:

It passed by already Meryl12, and looks like it sent a big rock hurtling into Nicaragua. Had it landed in the middle of New York, or Los Angeles, can you imagine?

I always worry about these things, can't help it. Me and my dog sleep under the desk together on such days. :)

I believe that's what I saw in the sky. I was going to check the news to see if anything was passing by the earth, but was so busy I forgot. Was tempted to go upstairs to get my camera, but it would have been out of my view by the time I got my camera and prepared it to take a picture. Just wanted to remember it. It did look fairly close to the earth, so I'm not surprised it did hit somewhere.

It passed by already Meryl12, and looks like it sent a big rock hurtling into Nicaragua. Had it landed in the middle of New York, or Los Angeles, can you imagine?

I always worry about these things, can't help it. Me and my dog sleep under the desk together on such days. :)

LOL .... I read that it had sent a big rock hutling into Nicaragua, and I would be doing what you are doing. I would be hiding under the bed with my cat. I have seen craters these monsters have left. While I was standing looking into a crater I understood that our buildings could not withstand such an impact. Then I decided it was best not to think about it, it is much better to hide under the bed (or sleep under a desk) and feel as though I am doing something rather than realise there is absolutely nothing anyone can do against an asteroid. If it had landed in the middle of New York it would have done unimaginable damage!!
(If the dinosaurs went extinct then humans haven't got a hope)...LOL ...:cat:

Oh dear, NASA seems to be a little bit offended that people are thinking it may have got things wrong. It's directing people to this information posted in a meteoroid blog.

Which doesn't say the rock came off that asteroid.....but doesn't exactly rule it out, either. :) If I knew what the Spanish for 'fireball' is, I'd start sleuthing for anyone in Nicaragua reporting they saw one on the night.

'It has been suggested that a meteorite may have caused this crater; however, the lack of fireball reports from the surrounding populated area seems to suggest some other cause. '

'While a meteoritic origin for this crater cannot be ruled out with absolute certainty, the information available at this time suggests that some other cause is responsible for its creation.'

http://blogs.nasa.gov/Watch_the_Skies/2014/09/08/did-a-meteorite-cause-a-crater-in-nicaragua/

There was another huge meeorite that flew over Spain yesterday! Apparently, hundreds of people saw it and authorities were inundated with calls about a flaming 'UFO' overhead!

It does look very dramatic. Can this all just be coincidence, that huge great rocks fell out of the skies, just at the time an asteroid the size of a house passed by?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/meteor-fright-ufo-mystery-flaming-space-4183751

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 25
Video of the Spanish meteorite. Certainly a big flash. That must be amazing to see in real life. As long as you're not too close, of course.

[video=youtu;01tZdB2B3Bk]http://youtu.be/01tZdB2B3Bk[/video]

They are spectacular pictures of the fireball. Although the crater seems to have been made of something that was not on fire as the surrounding vegetation has not been burnt, just flattened by an immense pressure. All of the subsequent meteorites have to be from the same source. The good folk in New York are lucky these things are falling in rural ares of Nicaragua and Spain. I can understand how people are fascinated by the fireball and film it, I would be both fascinated and panic stricken. As I have said above ^^ I have stood at the edge of a huge crater and understood fully how meteorites and asteroids could wipe out all life on Earth in an instant.
I will continue to hide under my bed with my cat, as there are all those little tiny ones that make nice light shows in the sky and don't obliterate all life on Earth, and only make a small hole in the ground like the one in Nicaragua. (One day there will be a great big one, like the one that wiped out the dinosaurs)!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back