NASA Voyager 1 Encounters New Region in Deep Space

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wishuwerehere, Dec 4, 2012.

1. wishuwerehere

wishuwerehere New Member

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2012-381&cid=release_2012-381

More at link.

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” – Carl Sagan

2. Loading...

3. ScubaTwinn

ScubaTwinn New Member

It launched September 5, 1977 - 35 years ago. It is so cool that it has lasted this long and gone so far.
    I would have been 17 and probably saw it go.

4. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

OMG I just saw the Star Trek movie about Voyager the other day. I thought it was lost. OK well glad to see it's still out there exploring looking for new life, but the question still remains will humans be able to reproduce in space?

5. peeples

peeples New Member

so cool, thanks for sharing, i had no idea it was still up there!

6. Nova

Nova New Member

BBM: nothin' else seems to stop us!

7. sorrell skye

sorrell skye Active Member

This is so cool! Carl Sagan would have been thrilled with this! Coincidentally, my partner & I just started watching Cosmos last night - so this is very apropos! Thank you for posting it, wishuwerehere! BTW - I love your siggy!

From the OP link:

The signal from Voyager 1 takes approximately 17 hours to travel to Earth.

My daughter & I were wondering how long the signal took to reach Earth. 17 hours - that's fast, considering that Voyager 1 is billions of miles away.

Go Voyager 1!!! :)

8. wishuwerehere

wishuwerehere New Member

Voyager 1's 'Golden Record' Contains Directions To Earth For Aliens

If the aliens have the capability of interstellar space navigation, they don’t need our directions to find us; they’re probably monitoring this post right now. :ufo:

9. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

It will be about 20,000 years before it gets beyond the Oort shell (the source of long-period comets) and enters true interstellar space.

I believe Steven Hawking said that we might have made a mistake putting directions to Earth on the craft because it's likely that a more advanced culture will be detrimental if not destructive to us, even if they are not overtly hostile.

10. Reader

Reader New Member

Where did you get that information? When one of the scientists working on the project says this:

11. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

I googled Oort Voyager and it said 14,000-28,000 (I took an average) years before it passed beyond the Oort Cloud, the outer edge of the solar system, on the nasa.gov site. Since the Oort objects are orbiting the sun (and Voyager is not even near them yet) I don't see how you could call anything nearer that interstellar space but whatever. To me, interstellar space is beyond the influence of the sun otherwise the word doesn't really mean much.

12. wishuwerehere

wishuwerehere New Member

Voyager 1's Next Stop - Interstellar Space

http://www.sen.com/news/voyager-1-next-stop-interstellar-space.html

(Emphasis mine.)

From what I understand, NASA did not anticipate the information gained from Voyager 1 by entering this “magnetic highway.” This new information shows Voyager is at the edge of our solar system. We are in the midst of discovery.

13. Reader

Reader New Member

How exciting...I used to follow NASAs site all the time and now this gives me a reason to get involved again...thanks for the info...

14. Nova

Nova New Member

I understand the evolutionary basis for Hawking's musings; but, personally, I think any beings capable of interstellar transport will have evolved philosophically beyond "survival of the fittest". Otherwise, they will have destroyed themselves with their technology along the way. (Same goes for us.)

15. Nova

Nova New Member

I find myself getting interested in space exploration again, too. And I'd much rather read about data sent from our robots than worry about the safety of live astronauts.

Remind me again why we need a manned mission to Mars?