Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

2. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

The Loughlin/Giannulli legal team has a former prosecutor (Asst. U. S. Dist. Attorney for Massachussetts). With that experience, I don't think Attorney Trach would not be so cavalier as to see "how this plays out" just based on the evidence. He is experienced in prosecuting white collar crimes including fraud. I would imagine he was advocating for a deal as he knows this is not going away. I am sure he knew more charges were coming. With phone call transcript from Singer and the financial documents mentioned in the court papers, the extent of the legal issues has to be clear. For the Loughlin/Giannulli family, it is not simple mistake as they participated in the scheme 2x, took/submitted photos, and on. Time for a legal team meeting with this couple for some real talk and reminder that who you are is based on facts in evidence not your resume in television.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  3. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

Interesting. No jail time. Just goes to show that it is important to get the deal first or as close to first as possible.

Flicka1, sassyblue, btfly547 and 9 others like this.
  4. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

5. JerseyGirl

I love this:

“We were getting on a flight to Geneva, it’s a long flight, and Trevor said to me, ‘Dad, why is it every time we get on this flight, I have to take a left and go sit in the back of the plane, and you take a right and go to the front? [You] sit in a big chair and they roll roast beef on a trolley by you, and I’m back in 69D.’”

O’Leary says he has a simple answer: “I say, ‘Trevor, you don’t have any money.’”

“My son is making the connection between money and personal freedom,” O’Leary wrote. “I think that’s the greatest gift I’ve ever given him: to help him see that connection. And I constantly reinforce it by doing Mean Dad things like making him sit in those crappy economy seats.”

Kevin O'Leary flies first class, but makes his kids fly coach — here's why

6. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Snipped

Hmm....I don't know. I don't think it's all about money. I don't deny the freedom that money can buy (ask any woman stuck in an abusive marriage who thinks she can't survive on her own), but you can also have personal freedom without a big bank account. Maybe even more - the freedom not to be concerned about thinking economy seats are the "crappy" ones and instead enjoy the ride.

The emphasis on MONEY is the whole problem, imo.

But, yeah, good to remind your kid that if he wants to fly first-class, he needs his own money, not dad's.

jmo

Flicka1, j_in_c, sassyblue and 7 others like this.
  7. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

I read that most of the people who took a plea will get supervised release. Or home arrest. Oh, the horror of having to stay in a 10 million dollar mansion.

Flicka1, sassyblue, CalmSeas and 9 others like this.
  8. Herat

Herat Way out West

I agree.

The issue should not be motivating the kid to fly in First Class rather than Coach.

The issue should be to motivate the kid to fly MORE and see and experience MORE of life. And know that Coach is a perfectly decent way to experience life in all it’s own richness.

9. Herat

Herat Way out West

Excellent comment.

They have the best advice money can buy. What they chose to do with that advice will tell us so much about their character.

So far, it’s showing an awful lot of denial and outrage over loss of the special privilege that being rich can provide.

I also disagree that there isn’t any story there.

There’s an amazing story: Aunt Becky: The Felony Years

It’s just that they can’t control the narrative, nor can they make any money off of the eventual cheesy TV movie that comes out of this

Flicka1, Ozarka, CalmSeas and 3 others like this.
  10. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

She's saying here that it's ok to cheat to get your child into college, a specific college she has chosen because she doesn't think the others are good enough . To LL this is all about status and what she wants, it has nothing to do with what's best for her children.
    So if cheating is acceptable would she also think it ok for someone to rob a bank if that's the only way they could afford their child's tuition ? Didn't she rob another student out of their spot at USC ?
    I wonder if she taught her children it was ok to cheat their way through school.
    What a warped and distorted sense of reality she has.

Whoever it is releasing these statements to the press couldn't possibly be her friend, at least IMO.

Flicka1, sassyblue, Laughing and 3 others like this.
  11. JerseyGirl

According to Lor... err.... a source:

She is very concerned about what a guilty plea would do to her daughters, who may not have grasped everything that was going on,” the source says.

“Yes, she can think about the public perception of her, but that’s nothing compared to what her daughters think of her. So that is something that has understandably made her less likely to enter a plea.

“It’s just taking some time for it to sink in that what she was allegedly doing could be considered illegal,” says the source. “To her, it wasn’t egregious behavior. Was it entitled and perhaps selfish? Perhaps. But she didn’t see it as being a legal violation.”

“From the beginning, she didn’t want to take a deal, because she felt that she hadn’t done anything that any mom wouldn’t have done, if they had the means to do so,” the source continues. “So this wasn’t her being obstinate; this was her truly not understanding the seriousness of the allegations.”

Lori Loughlin 'Is Very Concerned What A Guilty Plea Would Do to Her Daughters': Source

She has had multiple high powered lawyers since day 1, and she is still saying she does not understand the seriousness???!!?

Flicka1, Ozarka, sassyblue and 10 others like this.
  12. sleuthin4fun

sleuthin4fun Active Member

I find it humorous that she feels "she did what any mother would do". Ok Lori, here is what this mother did. We had our high school age children assessed by a tutor to determine which test, ACT/SAT would be best for them to take. We then had them take the test to determine where they needed assistance. We then hired a tutor to assist them in these areas. Each and every time they improved their scores! They took the tests themselves and they earned their own scores. Could we have paid $500,000 to have our child be admitted into a college they were not qualified for? No! Could we have paid to cheat? Yes we could have! Would that have ever crossed our minds? I can say with confidence, Absolutely Not! You have got to be delusional to think that "any mother would do the same".

Flicka1, Ozarka, sassyblue and 11 others like this.
  13. scdiv

scdiv Well-Known Member

Well, I certainly believe that she did not think this was a big deal! It seems like in her bubble world, this is just what you do to get what you want. The very wealthy are used to buying whatever it is what they want - and when getting "access" is a bigger obstacle than price, you just pay for that too. They don't even think it's big deal. Like, oh you want to jump the line for an exclusive Birkin bag - I got a person who can take care of that. You need Super Bowl tickets - okay cool, got an in from this guy to purchase, meet you later for the handoff. Oh you want the girls to go to USC? I got a guy who takes care of that.

And then it's all great, cool, thanks, you're the best yay! Write the check and done! I really don't think she thought of this as being criminal. Just find a person who can "make it happen" - in their insular world, that's what they do. In her little elite world, apparently she thinks this is the norm of what alpha moms do. Now she wants a lawyer and a crisis publicist who can "make this go away." I hope she gets a cold, harsh dose of reality.

14. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Yes, why did we waste all of that time, yes, actual TIME, spent with teens, at the kitchen table working out calculus problems.

It would have been so much easier to just write a check. Why didn't I think of that?

Flicka1, sassyblue, Jax49 and 4 others like this.
  15. Inthedetails

I would maybe believe she thought writing the check was no big deal, but it was more than writing a check. She posed her kids in photos to make it look like they were on the crew team. Her husband yelled at the high school counselor who questioned the crew thing. When told the IRS would be calling, she agreed to say the money was for charity.

She did more than write a check to a guy who takes care of college admissions.

However, I think the defense will be that she intended just to write a check for the services of Rick handling the admissions process for the family, but that the family got caught up in HIS lies, etc.

jmo

Flicka1, scdiv, Suglo and 7 others like this.
  16. Herat

Herat Way out West

Why even bother writing a check?

Do what the Isackson’s did and transfer some of your Facebook stock. *Just don’t tell the IRS about it

17. Inthedetails

18. sleuthin4fun

sleuthin4fun Active Member

I know!!!!! Some of the absolute most painful times as a parent were spent on homework and preparing for exams. That being said.... Some of the most beautiful times were spent sharing in the victory and success of hard work. Shame on her!

Flicka1, sassyblue, monkey222 and 8 others like this.
  19. Inthedetails

"'Olivia is devastated and completely embarrassed. She feels like she’s lost nearly all of her friends because of this. She’s barely speaking to her parents,' a friend who has been in touch with the 19-year-old told CNN."

https://pagesix.com/2019/04/12/oliv...56.2002926879.1552927834-383419253.1550162351

Normally when I follow a case, I want information about everything - the more, the better.

In this case, with the Loughlin/Giannulli family.....STOP! Enough. Be quiet.

jmo

Flicka1, Suglo, Laughing and 5 others like this.
  20. JanetElaine

JanetElaine Well-Known Member

^^ I'm getting tired of their 'sources'. If they really are 'sources', Lori & co need to stop talking to whomever they are speaking to until they find the leak. But somehow I am doubting this is a leak. Nobody's leaking anything about the other families. We still don't even know who the $6.5 million man or woman is. Nothing's coming out - unless you want it to. IMO

MOO

Flicka1, Ozarka, kc1023 and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.