Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
And again, all this fraudulent use of retesting and off-site testing for the unqualified children of the rich really harms those kids who have a very legitimate disability issue.

These kids are the ones who NEED a second chance or at least an accommodation.

It makes me even more furious to see the callous regard the rich have for all of us by paying off cheats.

"It's just what any mother would do" in the case of a privileged or unmotivated child is loathsome to me.

The Gianulli's and other knew full well their children were not applying themselves whatsoever. They are just despicable frauds

Why is there an option to take the test offsite? And who wouldn’t take that option? Why have a designated spot at all?

The testing center option has a cost associated with it over and above the paying for the test.

CB Become A Test Center:

Thanks to the help and commitment of test center coordinators worldwide, we will continue to serve millions of students as they take the SAT, an important step on the road to college.

Important:
Coordinator Website and Manual
Sign in to ets.org/supervisor or check your manual to get all the information you’ll need for a successful SAT administration. Tips on handling test day emergencies are included.

Responsibilities
Test center coordinators are responsible for operating the test center so that all students have a fair and standardized testing experience. They perform all of these duties:

• Get the test center up and running.
  • Recruit and oversee staff.
  • Set up and manage materials.
  • Check in students and maintain security on test day.
  • Report any test day issues or concerns and return all materials.
Become an SAT Test Center
When your school becomes an SAT test center, your students benefit from familiar surroundings and easy access. Providing a more convenient testing site fosters a college-going culture.

Staff and school benefits include:

• Compensation for the test center coordinator, room coordinators, and monitors
  • Reimbursement for some of your school's test-related expenses
  • Inclusion of more staff in the college planning process
Test Center Requirements
The SAT is administered at designated test centers throughout the world. They vary in size, setting, and the test dates for which they are open, but they all share these characteristics:

• Affiliation with an educational institution
  • Facilities adequate for testing groups of test-takers
  • Secure area with limited access for protected storage of test materials
  • Location that serves test-takers in a particular region

The testing center option has a cost associated with it over and above the paying for the test.

CB Become A Test Center:

Thanks to the help and commitment of test center coordinators worldwide, we will continue to serve millions of students as they take the SAT, an important step on the road to college.

Important:
Coordinator Website and Manual
Sign in to ets.org/supervisor or check your manual to get all the information you’ll need for a successful SAT administration. Tips on handling test day emergencies are included.

Responsibilities
Test center coordinators are responsible for operating the test center so that all students have a fair and standardized testing experience. They perform all of these duties:

• Get the test center up and running.
  • Recruit and oversee staff.
  • Set up and manage materials.
  • Check in students and maintain security on test day.
  • Report any test day issues or concerns and return all materials.
Become an SAT Test Center
When your school becomes an SAT test center, your students benefit from familiar surroundings and easy access. Providing a more convenient testing site fosters a college-going culture.

Staff and school benefits include:

• Compensation for the test center coordinator, room coordinators, and monitors
  • Reimbursement for some of your school's test-related expenses
  • Inclusion of more staff in the college planning process
Test Center Requirements
The SAT is administered at designated test centers throughout the world. They vary in size, setting, and the test dates for which they are open, but they all share these characteristics:

• Affiliation with an educational institution
  • Facilities adequate for testing groups of test-takers
  • Secure area with limited access for protected storage of test materials
  • Location that serves test-takers in a particular region
Sooooo, I can become my own test center? And I can just take the bribes directly from the parents?!!! Hmmmmmm.

This is my question - is cheating on the SAT illegal?

I know it will get you disqualified on your college app, but is it a crime?

Not rhetorical question - I really don't know and am asking.

I know bribery is a crime, but the kids weren't the ones making a bribe.

jmo

I think this is an interesting point. I think SAT would have to report it as a crime and prosecute for fraud. Maybe SAT isn't interested in trying to prosecute this kind of "white collar" crime, especially if they have to go up against people whose net worth is so high they can hire the very best of lawyers.

Sooooo, I can become my own test center? And I can just take the bribes directly from the parents?!!! Hmmmmmm.
I actually didn't realize that the first time I had read the complaint, but that's exactly what Singer had done. Created his own testing centers. That's why it was so easy to have hired proctors give the students answers or just change answers after. For some reason, I thought they had managed to get an inside person to do these things. I hadn't even realized the whole testing center itself was an inside thing!

Simple. Corruption. It is not only rich people who can do it, it happens elsewhere as well, just with less money involved.

Here is one apparent example: Teen denies cheating on SATs: 'I won't let anybody take my dreams away from me'

I don't know if the girl in question was cheating or not, but the local authorities certainly seemed to think that there was some sort of collusion going on at that test center.

Special skills and diversity should not be a consideration for admission, academic performance should be the sole factor. Being given the chance to attend an elite university should not be a compensation for experiencing hardship in your life. People who have experienced hardship are just as capable of doing well on these tests if they apply themselves btw, so that is not an excuse. What actually happens is that people from that sort of environment, a culture of failure, never learned how to do that in the first place, which is why for the most part they can't do it. Getting a free pass later in is not going to correct that if they have not already acquired the required skills.

It should be noted that the whole "special skills" factor was what allowed the current scam to work in the first place. If it was straight up academic credentials only, the "side door" would not have been there to be exploited.

For what it is worth, all the coddling will not help you one little bit when it comes to actually passing courses when you get to one of these universities, even if you are rich. You have to do it yourself, no one is going to help you. That is the whole point of a university and why it is completely different from a high school. Having money might help you get in, but it is not going to help you stay there.

One more thing, smart parents tend to have smart kids on average, while dumb parents tend to have dumb kids. Smart people tend to make more money than dumb people. Those two things correlate when it comes to overall academic performance from a socioeconomic perspective, which is why most of the people who attend these universities tend to come from higher income families. The argument that lack of opportunity makes it that way is not really true. If you are successful in life, chances are you will have kids who are reasonably successful as well.

Ooh, her answers were the same as others at the testing center. And she dropped her lawsuit. Oops.

Why is there an option to take the test offsite? And who wouldn’t take that option? Why have a designated spot at all?

From the dim mists of my memory (80's highschooler here), I think taking the test "offsite" is to accommodate children who, well, can't make their original testing, for which there can be legitimate reasons - illness, travel, etc. I took the SAT's three times myself, and for one of them I was stricken on the morning with a bad allergy attack/cold, to the point where I was literally spreading my scant stock of Kleenex out to dry upon my knee between questions; and it was, unsurprisingly, the worst I ever performed on the test by a mile.

Secondly, when I took the test, I took it at least once in a testing center that also encompassed kids from the next county over; of which I am positive because some of the kids were those I had formerly known, from the school district in said county where I had attended middle school before moving. (I also want to say that this was at a community college classroom.) The "testing center" qua "testing center" is a brand new construct to me, as it almost always seemed to involve ... someone, renting an educational institution that was not my own high school for the purpose. (Maybe this is done because some schools have other activities scheduled on weekends, like football games, and thus aren't available 24/7 for "other usages". )

Lastly, even when I was in school, one had to provide a picture ID to the proctor upon arrival at the school district, if you owned a driver's license. I myself don't drive, and always had to tote a letter from the guidance counselor describing me physically. I'm presuming such a letter could easily be faked, and I'm not really sure in retrospect what makes adult proctors from "Clay County" certain that the underage non-driver they're seeing from "Bell County" is, in fact, the "C. Luciano" mentioned in the letter; and not, say, "B. Rubianes". (Someone with experiences more recent than I might know of refinements in the process that makes current honest proctors more difficult to fool.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88