GUILTY Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even imagine dealing with entitled parents at those type of schools. The counselor was at least smart in his wording that he told USC that the father had "visited" with him that morning and affirmed for him that the younger daughter is truly a coxswain.

Basically saying he was going by the father's word on this....

I think it would be different if the high school counselor was falsifying info, but if the aggressive parents are insisting on some lie and making a scene, how much vetting, short of accusing the parents of outright lying, is on the high school to push back or prove that the fake club doesn't exist? I bet you are right that some higher up likely said to drop it.

I can't even imagine dealing with entitled parents at those type of schools. The counselor was at least smart in his wording that he told USC that the father had "visited" with him that morning and affirmed for him that the younger daughter is truly a coxswain.

Basically saying he was going by the father's word on this....

I think it would be different if the high school counselor was falsifying info, but if the aggressive parents are insisting on some lie and making a scene, how much vetting, short of accusing the parents of outright lying, is on the high school to push back or prove that the fake club doesn't exist? I bet you are right that some higher up likely said to drop it.

Excellent point! The counselor was going by the lies Mossimo was telling him, and fake photos!

Not the counselor's fault!

And how will Mossimo explain away these lies and his quote that he had to "work the system?" Then how will Lori explain away fake photo shopping and taking photos of Olivia (and Bella?) rowing as fake coxswain?

The jury won't be stupid and I think these 2 huge lies--making up stories of where the daughter rowed and putting together fake photos to go with the fake stories-- will matter to them.

How do you give a defense of ignorance when you know enough to lie?

You said quote:
"I bet you are right that some higher up likely said to drop it."

Not me, it was the author of the article (former prep-school college counselor) who had the opinion that a higher up must have pushed Olivia's counselor into e-mailing Lori and Mossimo that, ok, I told USC what you want them to hear.

Last edited:
Ex-athletics officials at the University of Southern California and UCLA filed motions late last week to dismiss a superseding indictment charging them with bribery in addition to fraud and racketeering charges, for accepting hundred-thousand-dollar payments to facilitate the admission of bogus recruits into their athletic programs.

Ex-USC athletics administrator Donna Heinel last week also asked a judge to toss her case because the defendants did not associate with each other closely enough to meet the definition of a racketeering conspiracy.

USC and parents have squabbled in court over a secret donor list which defense attorneys argue can help prove that the parents thought they were making legitimate donations. The list, which identifies students accepted into USC who were designated as “VIP” and whose parents donated at least $50,000, has been filed under seal in the case.

Parents are also asking for over 6,000 logs of audio recordings of Singer which the government has consistently denied them access to.

“(The recordings) are also likely to include evidence of Singer’s intentional attempts to impede the investigation … and false statements to prospective new clients inflating his credentials and the scope and size of his businesses,” a motion by parents in the case states.

Loughlin and Heinel have requested oral arguments for their motions. The case will be back before the court for status conferences scheduled for Jan. 17.

'Varsity Blues' figures ask to toss case as parents, Loughlin fight for evidence

Ex-athletics officials at the University of Southern California and UCLA filed motions late last week to dismiss a superseding indictment charging them with bribery in addition to fraud and racketeering charges, for accepting hundred-thousand-dollar payments to facilitate the admission of bogus recruits into their athletic programs.

Ex-USC athletics administrator Donna Heinel last week also asked a judge to toss her case because the defendants did not associate with each other closely enough to meet the definition of a racketeering conspiracy.

USC and parents have squabbled in court over a secret donor list which defense attorneys argue can help prove that the parents thought they were making legitimate donations. The list, which identifies students accepted into USC who were designated as “VIP” and whose parents donated at least $50,000, has been filed under seal in the case.

Parents are also asking for over 6,000 logs of audio recordings of Singer which the government has consistently denied them access to.

“(The recordings) are also likely to include evidence of Singer’s intentional attempts to impede the investigation … and false statements to prospective new clients inflating his credentials and the scope and size of his businesses,” a motion by parents in the case states.

Loughlin and Heinel have requested oral arguments for their motions. The case will be back before the court for status conferences scheduled for Jan. 17.

'Varsity Blues' figures ask to toss case as parents, Loughlin fight for evidence

If they were secret donors and on that list, why wouldn’t they have already said so. I don’t get it, smoke and mirrors?

A 2018 phone conversation between Singer and John B. Wilson, a Massachusetts financier, recently emerged that sheds some new light on what went on.

At the time, Wilson was inquiring about how he could get his twin daughters into a university. To this, Singer responded that it would take no less than $45 million in donations to obtain admission to either Harvard or Stanford.

However, he revealed there was an alternative, which he called the "side door." For $1.2 million, he could make the arrangements. Following the steep price, Wilson asked what $300,000 could get. "That's, uh, Georgetown, Boston College, Georgia Tech, USC, UCLA, Berkeley," Singer replied.

The release of the transcript, prosecutors allege, helps their case as it shows Singer conspiring with wealthy parents.

New phone transcripts offer detailed look at how Rick Singer worked

College Admissions Scandal Update: Recorded Phone Call Reveals New Details About Scam

A federal judge Monday proposed a possible February court date for arguments in the clash over thousands of pieces of evidence in the college admissions scandal.

Twenty parents are seeking FBI interviews and audio recordings of Singer from prosecutors.

Magistrate Judge M. Page Kelley set January deadlines for the government and parents to file opposing briefs, and said the court “may” hold a hearing on five motions on Feb. 11. Three of the motions have not been made public in court filings.

Kelley also ordered on Monday that prosecutors should assist the court by the end of January in setting trial dates and determining if separate trials for defendants are necessary.

Lori Loughlin, other parents eye showdown with 'Varsity Blues' prosecutors

Lori Loughlin got in some last-minute Christmas shopping with a trip to two Kitson stores on Robertson Boulevard in Los Angeles on Saturday.

The actress appearing to try to keep a low profile, wearing a fedora and sunglasses as she perused items. Loughlin first stopped in at the Kitson Kids store, telling an employee she needed a baby gift for a friend. The actress was not recognized by customers.

Loughlin then walked across the street to the main store, Kitson. She stopped to look at a nearly-$200 throw blanket that reads, "I silently mouth the words 'What the ' at least 10 times a day!" Loughlin laughed and told a store employee, "I think that's kind of true for everyone, right?"

She also checked out a candle called, "St. Benedict: Saint of Peace and Protection From Evil," but ended up purchasing a shirt as well as a pajama set for her daughters and several plaid holiday-themed bags. In total, she spent almost $1,000 on items.

Inside Lori Loughlin's Last-Minute Christmas Shopping in LA

99952179aa7796b5de597b0b39767a48
168c7fd2d3a218f0c995c1ed58e3066d

Interesting from the LA Times article. For the fake athlete route, it will be interesting to see how much parents knew that Singer was using an inside person at the schools to approve the admissions. I would think if you are engaging in conversations or partaking in photoshopping your kid's head on sports action photos or posing on rower machines, you gotta know something shady is up. But still interesting that Singer tried to manipulate/dissuade parents from other colleges that weren't on his connection list. What a tool. All of these people. "They got grade inflation." Oh cool, let's try for that one.

New phone transcripts offer detailed look at how Rick Singer worked

The transcripts offer something new in the much picked-over case — an unvarnished view of how Singer sold his wealthy clients on committing what prosecutors call fraud, bribery and money laundering. Until now, only excerpts of Singer’s taped calls were made public, and only those hand-selected by the government to underscore what they consider the defendants’ culpability.

Singer steered Wilson away from schools where he is not believed to have had connections, the transcripts show. MIT is “not even a fun place to go to school, John.” As for Caltech: “Nobody goes to CalTech or MIT that’s a regular kid.” Dartmouth “doesn’t have a true engineering program.”

But Stanford, he told Wilson, is “the number one school in America.”

“They got everything,” Singer said. “They got the weather — ”

“Yeah.”

“They got sports, they got grade inflation, they offer every major. I mean, they’re the —”

“Yeah.”

“If anybody could go there,” Singer finished, “that’s the place.”

But the Palo Alto school, Singer knew, also had a sailing coach, John Vandemoer, who was willing to endorse non-sailors for admission as athletic recruits, in exchange for six-figure donations to his program. Vandemoer pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit racketeering in the case.

Wonder whatever happened to ole Morrie Tobin, the guy responsible for this mess?
Did he even serve time for the security fraud charges he was involved in when he decided to drop some info in the feds laps?

Doesn't seem to be any updates on the interwebs about him.

Wonder whatever happened to ole Morrie Tobin, the guy responsible for this mess?
Did he even serve time for the security fraud charges he was involved in when he decided to drop some info in the feds laps?

COURT DOCUMENTS

https://html2-f.scribdassets.com/44d78ei2dc78f3gm/images/1-236ffdbca3.jpg

United States v. Morrie Tobin
The United States Attorney for the District of Massachusetts and your
client, Morrie Tobin , agree as follows:

Change of Plea
#1) Securities Fraud
#2) and one count of Securities Fraud aiding and abetting the same.

https://html1-f.scribdassets.com/44d78ei2dc78f3gm/images/2-f507a0dd4e.jpg

https://html1-f.scribdassets.com/44d78ei2dc78f3gm/images/3-0457eb7535.jpg

https://html1-f.scribdassets.com/44d78ei2dc78f3gm/images/4-cbeef700e3.jpg

https://html1-f.scribdassets.com/44d78ei2dc78f3gm/images/5-40379ab1cc.jpg

https://html1-f.scribdassets.com/44d78ei2dc78f3gm/images/6-f12faf94be.jpg

https://html2-f.scribdassets.com/44d78ei2dc78f3gm/images/7-a8af2e75f9.jpg

https://html1-f.scribdassets.com/44d78ei2dc78f3gm/images/8-e7ef216130.jpg

https://html1-f.scribdassets.com/44d78ei2dc78f3gm/images/9-c19988b539.jpg

https://html2-f.scribdassets.com/44d78ei2dc78f3gm/images/10-4517573967.jpg

Last edited:

ln February, Tobin quietly pleaded guilty in a Boston courtroom to securities fraud and a conspiracy charge stemming from the stock scam.

Sentencing guidelines that judges use when deciding punishments indicate he faces somewhere between eight and 10 years behind bars.

For his cooperation, prosecutors have agreed to ask the judge in the case to sentence Tobin to the low end of that range. His plea deal also requires Tobin to forfeit $4 million to the government.

Must Reads: The bizarre story of the L.A. dad who exposed the college admissions scandal

Prosecutors are recommending 36 months of supervised release

Tobin was scheduled for sentencing at a hearing in June 2019, but this did not in fact take place

2019 college admissions bribery scandal - Wikipedia

Interesting article I found, in case anyone's interested:

Lori Loughlin's Prosecutors are Shameless Monsters, Says Decorated Law Professor (Exclusive)

"Behold how obscene the American criminal justice system has become. It's a system in which the crime of forging an $88 check is 'worth' five years imprisonment and the crime of standing trial is 'worth' imprisonment for life."

Alec Baldwin Doesn't Think Felicity Huffman Should Be In Jail

"I don’t think anyone involved in the college fraud cases should go to prison. That includes past cases as well.
Community service, fines, yes."

"This opinion seems tone deaf. If they can afford hundreds of thousands of $$ to get their kids in, how will a 'fine' be a deterrent? Even the current risk of jail WASN'T,"posted a social media user.

Last edited:
Interesting article I found, in case anyone's interested:

Lori Loughlin's Prosecutors are Shameless Monsters, Says Decorated Law Professor (Exclusive)

"Behold how obscene the American criminal justice system has become. It's a system in which the crime of forging an $88 check is 'worth' five years imprisonment and the crime of standing trial is 'worth' imprisonment for life."

Alec Baldwin Doesn't Think Felicity Huffman Should Be In Jail

"I don’t think anyone involved in the college fraud cases should go to prison. That includes past cases as well.
Community service, fines, yes."

"This opinion seems tone deaf. If they can afford hundreds of thousands of $$ to get their kids in, how will a 'fine' be a deterrent? Even the current risk of jail WASN'T,"posted a social media user.

Not to mention what these people did was way, way more than forging an 88.00 check. A rather silly example to use in this case involving so much money. He really sounds like a typical enabling , weak sort of person. And tone deaf for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine